Samsung Smart TV issue (not responsive and keeps restarting itself)

Nineshadow
Go to solution Solved by GregK,

Yup... I've got mine set to auto-starting the smart hub as a default and it goes into that freeze/restart loop. Seems when people turn off their internet/unplug ethernet cable it works fine. So clearly some issue on their end!

So, today I wanted to watch some TV while eating a snack, but to my surprise my TV wouldn't cooperate.

I'll give a description of what's going on, but I think a video is self-explanatory so I'll start with that :

Basically, the TV opens up normally, then displays a small menu, like it always does when it boots up. However, now it doesn't respond to any commands, as you can see in the video (although it does respond to some before the menu pops up?). I tried using my LG G3 as a remote and the analog stick built into the TV, but to no success. Anyway, after a few seconds, the TV then goes on to reboot itself, again and again; it's stuck in some kind of loop. Funny enough, I pulled it out of the wall and it kept doing the same thing (with no input from my side). However, if I press the power button shortly before the TV is about to restart, it stays shut down.

I don't remember anything happening prior to this, for example a software update (while I was using it) , but the TV did work properly last time I used it (last night around ~12AM).

Any ideas? I think it's still covered by warranty so I'll try that if I'm unable to make any progress by myself.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Hi - came here to say that I'm having the exact same issue this morning. Same exact symptoms as yours, was working fine last night but not responsive and stuck in a loop today. Maybe it's an issue on their end?

Greg

2 minutes ago, GregK said:

Hi - came here to say that I'm having the exact same issue this morning. Same exact symptoms as yours, was working fine last night but not responsive and stuck in a loop today. Maybe it's an issue on their end?

Greg

Oh, seriously?

Did your TV go through any software update by any chance? I don't know about mine since I didn't use it much.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

I just tried this, my tv starts normally, displays my pc (hdmi) BUT, if i press the smart tv button, the interface freezes and my tv reboots. So it is probably on samsung's end.

Don't think so, I don't pay too much attention to that stuff and don't use it that often, mostly to play PS4.

Check out some of the comments on this link, it seems like many people are having this issue today so it seems like something going on with the SmartHub on Samsung's end. I thought my motherboard was pooped so it's a relief :)

https://downtoday.co.uk/samsung-tv-smart-hub/

Hi - Is this just a coincidence ! Exactly the same thing for me too ! Your video replicates my problem exactly. Text on smart hub starts to scroll then stops. System seems to crash then reboot. Have manage to get it into the system menu once with a random press of buttons. 

Yup... I've got mine set to auto-starting the smart hub as a default and it goes into that freeze/restart loop. Seems when people turn off their internet/unplug ethernet cable it works fine. So clearly some issue on their end!

2 minutes ago, GregK said:

Unplugging ethernet seems to fix it, perhaps it tries to check for updates but runs into some connection problem?

Can confirm cutting internet connection works. Mine was wireless so I blacklisted it in the router settings. I also made SmartHub not automatically start at boot and now it works just fine.

4 minutes ago, Nineshadow said:

Can confirm cutting internet connection works. Mine was wireless so I blacklisted it in the router settings. I also made SmartHub not automatically start at boot and now it works just fine.

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me !! :-( TV configured to connect through ethernet. I disconnected the ethernet cable and no joy. Still crashes !

2 minutes ago, Marky0 said:

Unfortunately it doesn't work for me !! :-( TV configured to connect through ethernet. I disconnected the ethernet cable and no joy. Still crashes !

Wireless maybe?

1 hour ago, Nineshadow said:

Wireless maybe?

Surprising you are correct ! Seems that when you disconnect the Ethernet, the TV defaults back to wireless and logs into the router (I previously had it connected over wifi before switching to a ethernet).

Powering off my router did the trick. Now disabled automatic start-up into Smart Hub and everything is sorted. Breathing a huge sigh of relief - TV no longer bricked !!

Same issue. seems to be working okay now :)

• 11 months later...

Hi, I am not sure if I can still find someone here in this thread just trying. I have the same problem as above mentioned. However my router is off and am not connected wirelessly however I still have the same problem please HELP ME!!! HERE IS MY VID 

20170604_195551.mp4

• 1 month later...

My Samsung Smart TV (UN32EH5300FXZA) Started turning off and on after a few button presses - whether they were to change channels or use the smart hub, basically anything. This started after the last hub update. I tried unplugging the set which gained me a few more button presses before it shut off. I finally did a factory reset. This seemed to help but as soon as I used the hub, it updated again and the troubles started again. I reset it again and tried to hook up to a WiFI I don't have a password for. This erases the information for getting on my WiFi. The TV can not update the hub now since it doesn't have internet access and seems to work fine. I just can't use it to watch Netflix etc. If these problems are caused by faulty updates to the hub, I hope Samsung will get their s__t straightened out. In the mean time I'm looking into a Roku to plug into my "smart" TV and get my Netflix again.

• 9 months later...

You need to reset SmartHub, this is different from the reset under the support menu.  These are the steps I took to fix SmartHub on my

TV

1. Press the Smart Hub button on the remote to open the Smart Hub.

2. Press the TOOLS button on the remote to open the TOOLS menu

3. Use the Up or Down buttons to select Settings, and then press ENTER

4. Use the Up or Down buttons to select reset, and then press ENTER

5. You may be asked for a password if you have not set the security code on the TV use the default code of 0000.

6. The reset of the Smart Hub will be complete