PC does not POST

LIZZARD

Hello everyone,

So, I have just finished re-assembling 'my' pc. When I tried to turn it on, the fans started spinning, a LED on the motherboard lit up, the HDD started spinning, but no image appeared on my screen. 

System configuration

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

MSi 880GM-e41 (can't figure out which BIOS)

AMD Athlon II X4 640 (stock speeds)

2x2GB Kingston Value RAM 1333 MHz

XFX ATI Radeon HD5770 (stock speeds)

WD Green 1TB (boot drive)

Corsair CX430 (430W, 80+ bronze)

Some random optical drive

Some random card reader

Troubleshooting steps I already did

I've tried everything from https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/42440-readme-how-to-respond-to-a-no-post-or-no-power-up-situation/ :

1. Make sure your monitor works by testing it on a different computer.
  2. If you have both a dedicated GPU and an iGPU, try your monitor on both the outputs on the graphics cards as well as on the motherboard.
  3. Make sure all connectors and cables are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  4. Make sure your RAM. CPU and GPU are plugged in securely, reseat if necessary.
  5. If the motherboard you're using has debug LEDs, check the error code and consult the motherboard manual to see what it means.
  6. If you have a debug speaker connected to the motherboard, note the beep sequence and consult the motherboard manual or this thread to see what it means.
  7. Try clearing you CMOS.
  8. Try booting your computer with only a motherboard, CPU and one stick of RAM attached (if you don't have an iGPU, plug in your GPU as well  ;) ).
  9. Make sure your GPU works (if you have a dedicated one), try it in another computer.
  10. Make sure your RAM works, try it another computer.
  11. Make sure the RAM is compatible with your CPU and your motherboard.
  1. Tried 3 moniters of which I know that work
  2. Tried both DVI ports on my GPU and the VGA port on my motherboard
  3. Done
  4. Done
  5. No debug LED
  6. I do have a speaker attached, but it did not beep
  7. Done
  8. Done
  9. Tried another GPU of which I know that works
  10. Tried other RAM of which I know that works
  11. Everything is compatible, because it has been working fine before

Any additional information that may be relevant.

I got this PC from a friend. The original power supply died, so he got a new one (everything was working fine before). He gave me the PC and I got a power supply (the CX430) and a new case. I transferred everything from his old case to the new one and installed the new power supply, I'm having this problem since then.

I hope you guys can help me to resolve this problem.

Thanks in advance!

Unplug the hard drive, put in a windows install CD and see if it actually comes up with the setup.

if it does, the hard drive is most likely dead, if it doesn't motherboard is buggered.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

First of all, thanks for the quick reply. I have tried what you suggested and it did not come up with the setup. In addition to this, I put the HDD in my current system and it worked perfectly. Is there any way to know for 100% sure that it is my motherboard failing? I am afraid to buy a new motherboard, if something else may cause the problem (that's kinda what happened with the power supply in the first place).

It's the only thing I can think of being the problem with all the things you have already tested....

Wait for some other opinions though...

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Looks like someone needs a static discharge.

Unplug the system from the wall. Hold the power button for 10 seconds.

turn power supply switch to "off" then hold power for 2 seconds.

Turn power suply switch to "on" again 2 seconds"

Plug everything back in

And PRAY TO YOUR GOD.

Thanks for your reply. I've tried what you said, but still the pc won't POST. Guess I have to buy a new motherboard then :/

HI when you reassembled your pc what did you change or did anything happen in the process e.g. you dropped your gpu. Also make sure that all the cable are plugged into the right places - mainly ensure that the 8pin cpu power cable is not a pcie one 

FX-4100 @4.5ghz // Club3d 7870 @1240 mhz // Sabertooth 990fx // 8GB Vengance Ram

OCX 120GB SSD // Segate Barracuda 2tb HDD // XFX 850 Watt PSU // H80i

have you tried running the motherboard/ram/cpu out side of the case.

and see if it runs when its out of the case.. . could have a short

Rule out your motherboard being shorted out:

Make sure that your motherboard is secure with standoffs against your chassis.

Just to cover all your bases, take out your mobo place it on some cardboard or non conductive surface. Put in one stick of ram, the video card, CPU and make sure the heatsink is properly secure and plugged in.

The Next thing id do is to verify that your PSU is good. Buy another one or swap out for one that is guaranteed to work

I hope this helps, these two things are commonly the solutions to many a PC non-boot. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

beat me to it! :)

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

HI when you reassembled your pc what did you change or did anything happen in the process e.g. you dropped your gpu. Also make sure that all the cable are plugged into the right places - mainly ensure that the 8pin cpu power cable is not a pcie one 

Hi, nothing relevant happened during the reassembling process. Some components might have been damaged when the psu died though, there was melted plastic in the old psu. I have reconnected the power cables several times and I have a 4 pin cpu connector, so it can't be pcie.

do you have a mobo speaker? if so, look up the beep code. probably AMI codes that you need

Hi, yes I have tried plugging in the speaker. Unfortunately, I did not get a beep code.

Rule out your motherboard being shorted out:

Make sure that your motherboard is secure with standoffs against your chassis.

Just to cover all your bases, take out your mobo place it on some cardboard or non conductive surface. Put in one stick of ram, the video card, CPU and make sure the heatsink is properly secure and plugged in.

The Next thing id do is to verify that your PSU is good. Buy another one or swap out for one that is guaranteed to work

I hope this helps, these two things are commonly the solutions to many a PC non-boot. 

Hello, I ran the motherboard outside of the case with one stick of ram of which I know that works. Sadly enough, this did not fix it. I have tested the psu aswell, it worked fine in another pc.

Your best bet is to RMA the board. Or get a new one. With your CPU I doubt it would be too expensive (just find any old AM3 board, it will do if you are running at stock speeds). Also, check to  see if you havent inadvertently bent any CPU pins. 

Btw, When you took the mobo out of the case, did you place it on a non conductive surface like cardboard? Did you verify that motherboard power connector and the CPU power connector from the PSU were plugged in? 

Your best bet is to RMA the board. Or get a new one. With your CPU I doubt it would be too expensive (just find any old AM3 board, it will do if you are running at stock speeds). Also, check to  see if you havent inadvertently bent any CPU pins. 

Btw, When you took the mobo out of the case, did you place it on a non conductive surface like cardboard? Did you verify that motherboard power connector and the CPU power connector from the PSU were plugged in? 

Yeah, I put the motherboard on the motherboard box and I had plugged in all the power connectors. Unfortunately, the board is too old to RMA and I don't have money for a new motherboard. I will probably end up putting this graphics card in my old machine.

Anyways, thanks for the help guys, it's much appreciated.