Video storage?

Go to solution Solved by never_here,

a quick search showed that videos can be a maximum of 30 mins.  your not hitting your sd card storage limit, just, video length is limited to 30 mins max.  The same thing happens to my sony camera. i duno why, but its like that.

So you can take multiple 30 min video, just ya.  YOu can record a video over 30 mins unfortunately...

Hi guys

i have a fujifilm hs20 exr and I am going to event where I want to record a lot in the day and take lots of photos 

i got a 32gb sd card for the camera ready for the event.

i was please to see over 44000 photos but was annoyed at only 30 mins of video 

is this normal or is there a way I can get more?

thanks 

Pro

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

It's most likely a recording limit due to file system format (FAT32) and the EU tax regulations regarding cameras that can record video.

It does not mean that 30 minutes of recording will use all 32GB of storage, it just means you can record a 30 minute length at each go.  At the end of 30 minutes you have to press the record button again.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

a quick search showed that videos can be a maximum of 30 mins.  your not hitting your sd card storage limit, just, video length is limited to 30 mins max.  The same thing happens to my sony camera. i duno why, but its like that.

So you can take multiple 30 min video, just ya.  YOu can record a video over 30 mins unfortunately...

2 minutes ago, ALwin said:

It's most likely a recording limit due to file system format (FAT32) and the EU tax regulations regarding cameras that can record video.

It does not mean that 30 minutes of recording will use all 32GB of storage, it just means you can record a 30 minute length at each go.  At the end of 30 minutes you have to press the record button again.

Ah!, that will explain it then, I thought something was up, thanks guys I can now record freely

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

haha ya, lucky for you, i learned the hard way though, set up camera, record the children's performance.

performance done, went to camera, saw its off, and not recording, O.o

checked video, recorded 30 mins, stopped.

googled why

>:(>:(O.oO.o>:(  told the kids.  luckily, there were like, 10 parents all with video recordings too.  I just got their recordings, and edit them, and sent them out, xD

17 minutes ago, Prokart2000 said:

Ah!, that will explain it then, I thought something was up, thanks guys I can now record freely

13 minutes ago, never_here said:

snip

This primarily exists in photo cameras only.  Not in video cameras.  Because in the EU, if a photo camera can record video for more than X number of minutes, it gets treated as a video camera and extra tax is placed upon it.  Instead of producing different model cameras for different regions (e.g. unlimited video recording photo camera for US/non-Europe and limited video recording for EU) manufacturers impose the limit.  If they manufactured regional versions (some manufacturers do, but not for the video recording length, they do so for other purposes) then everyone will try to "import" the unlimited video length version, sometimes illegally.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/eu-speaks-out-over-camera-import-tax-threat-28462

http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0794343949/wto-looking-at-moves-to-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras

Addendum:

There are two ways to overcome the 30 minute limit, but it does not work for every camera.

1. A custom firmware/firmware hack like Magic Lantern (which is Canon only) that removes the limit.
  2. Using an external video recorder such as an Atomos Ninja via the camera's HDMI out.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

This primarily exists in photo cameras only.  Not in video cameras.  Because in the EU, if a photo camera can record video for more than X number of minutes, it gets treated as a video camera and extra tax is placed upon it.  Since manufacturers rarely produce different model cameras for different regions (e.g. unlimited video recording photo camera for US/non-Europe and limited video recording for EU) they impose the limit.

http://www.tested.com/tech/photography/44445-why-digital-cameras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/0794343949/wto-looking-at-moves-to-remove-30-minute-limit-from-digital-cameras

makes sense.  i figured it was a spec limitation or something, to force buyers to buy more products and stuff.... now i know.

2 hours ago, never_here said:

makes sense.  i figured it was a spec limitation or something, to force buyers to buy more products and stuff.... now i know.

2 hours ago, ALwin said:

This primarily exists in photo cameras only.  Not in video cameras.  Because in the EU, if a photo camera can record video for more than X number of minutes, it gets treated as a video camera and extra tax is placed upon it.  Instead of producing different model cameras for different regions (e.g. unlimited video recording photo camera for US/non-Europe and limited video recording for EU) manufacturers impose the limit.  If they manufactured regional versions (some manufacturers do, but not for the video recording length, they do so for other purposes) then everyone will try to "import" the unlimited video length version, sometimes illegally.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/latest/photo-news/eu-speaks-out-over-camera-import-tax-threat-28462

Addendum:

There are two ways to overcome the 30 minute limit, but it does not work for every camera.

1. A custom firmware/firmware hack like Magic Lantern (which is Canon only) that removes the limit.
  2. Using an external video recorder such as an Atomos Ninja via the camera's HDMI out.

i have now saw that it says 30 mins and has a 16 above it, i have only just got into cameras, i would usually use my phone. BUT DEM PIXELS!

Spoiler

20 hours ago, ALwin said:

That's wrong