GA-X170-EXTREME ECC or MSI X99A GAMING PRO

Hello..I like camo look of this board..but is it good for overclocking ?and can i use standard ddr4 memory with this board?

Mostly i use pc for web,gaming and sometimes rendering.

or is it better to buy  MSI Intel X99A RGB LED GAMING PRO CARBON ATX Motherboard ?

which board to buy? 

GA-X170-EXTREME ECC

MSI Intel X99A RGB LED GAMING PRO CARBON ATX Motherboard

YAMAKASI LEONIDAS 30" LCD 2560x1600 IPS PANEL,Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5

3 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

It depends on the CPU that you are going to use.

i7 6700K or i7 5820K

7 minutes ago, jaaa1976 said:

i7 6700K or i7 5820K

Do you need the extra cores? Or is rendering a secondary thing?

5820k offers better value and X99 is a higher-end chipset.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Well you wouldn't be able to use the 5820k in the camo board.

the gigabyte board also doesn't support overclocking. According to intelArk.com, the C236 chipset cannot overclock. and it DOES use DDR4 RAM.

Still, a non-overclocked 6700 would be very overkill in most games, and should do a pretty decent job of rendering the occasional thing here and there. But if you're going to be rendering constantly, then X99 would be the way to go. And the gaming pro carbon is a solid X99 board.

11 minutes ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Do you need the extra cores? Or is rendering a secondary thing?

I dont need extra core at the moment ..but  is good to have if will need for future

rendering only sometimes..not too much

if  gigabyte board also doesn't support overclocking ..then is better go with msi ?

1 hour ago, Zyndo said:

Well you wouldn't be able to use the 5820k in the camo board.

the gigabyte board also doesn't support overclocking. According to intelArk.com, the C236 chipset cannot overclock. and it DOES use DDR4 RAM.

Still, a non-overclocked 6700 would be very overkill in most games, and should do a pretty decent job of rendering the occasional thing here and there. But if you're going to be rendering constantly, then X99 would be the way to go. And the gaming pro carbon is a solid X99 board.

Are you sure gigabyte doesnt support overclocking?...the gigabyte x170 includes a separate overclocking chip called "TURBO B-Clock Tuning IC".....see exert from review below

According to Gigabyte: The onboard TURBO B-Clock Tuning IC, GIGABYTE Motherboards enable Overclockers to have the ability to change their BCLK Frequency to a desired value of their choice. With the new linear range adjustment option of the Tuning IC, ranges from 90MHz to 500MHz are now possible, so that overclockers are not limited to the 5% ranges of traditional straps.

I'm not 100% sure about that. I've not researched this board intimately. that's why i said "according to intel ark.com"... this isn't according to me. but according to Intel's site, the C236 chipset does not support overclocking:

http://ark.intel.com/products/90594/Intel-GL82C236-PCH

It could very well be that Gigabyte has modded their specific motherboard to go outside the restriction of the C236 chipset. Keep in mind that using Base Clock (instead of multipliers) to overclock will also adjust the speed of other things in your system (such as memory frequencies)

Since its listed as an X170 (X-series and Z-series are typically your overclocking boards from intel) it probably will be a fine overclocker. I should have put 2 and 2 together, but since there is no official X170 chipset (as far as I know) I just looked up its chipset and saw that it didn't support it natively.

My apologies if my misunderstanding and misinformation mislead you in any way.

Well honnestly if you are looking to grab a 6700K then by all means but that Gigabyte C236 board would not make any sense to go with then.

It would make allot more sense to just grab a decent Z170 board and use the 6700K up to its full potential.

If you look for X99, which will be better for you rendering.

Then there are also way more choices to look at.

The Msi X99 gaming pro carbon costs just as much as the Asus X99 ROG strix.

So i have to recommend one of those boards, then the Strix all the way.

Because the Asus X99 Strix has a very decent vrm implementation.

But you are basicly compairing two very diffrent platforms and motherboards.

4 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well honnestly if you are looking to grab a 6700K then by all means but that Gigabyte C236 board would not make any sense to go with then.

It would make allot more sense to just grab a decent Z170 board and use the 6700K up to its full potential.

If you look for X99, which will be better for you rendering.

Then there are also way more choices to look at.

The Msi X99 gaming pro carbon costs just as much as the Asus X99 ROG strix.

So i have to recommend one of those boards, then the Strix all the way.

But you are basicly compairing two very diffrent platforms and motherboards.

yes..its different platform..just want know if  GA-X170-EXTREME ECC  is good  for overclocking and if i can use standard memory..not memory for server.

6 minutes ago, jaaa1976 said:

yes..its different platform..just want know if  GA-X170-EXTREME ECC  is good  for overclocking and if i can use standard memory..not memory for server.

You can use standard memory but also ECC.

And for overclocking i think that you could use bclk overclocking feutures.

However like i said, it doesnt make any sense to go with that board if you plan to trow an i7 on it.

Those particular boards are mainly ment to drop the new Xeon E3 - V5´s in it.

Allthough they do support normal i5´s and i7´s, it still doesnt make any sense.

Because then you could verywell just pick a Z170 board.

And if you like the millitary looks of it, then there is the Asus Sabertooth Mark S Z170.

3 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

You can use standard memory but also ECC.

And for overclocking i think that you could use bclk overclocking feutures.

However like i said, it doesnt make any sense to go with that board if you plan to trow an i7 on it.

Those particular boards are mainly ment to drop the new Xeon E3 - V5´s in it.

Allthough they do support normale i5´s and i7´s, it still doesnt make any sense to drop a normal mainstream cpu in it.

ok..it looks like I go with x99 platform then..  Asus X99 ROG strix is also good option..thx

13 minutes ago, jaaa1976 said:

ok..it looks like I go with x99 platform then..  Asus X99 ROG strix is also good option..thx

If you concider X99 then the Asus X99 ROG strix is realy a board that i can recommend yes.

Its just high quality and decent.

The VRM implementation is a 8 true phases for cpu vcore all digital VRM implementation from IR, and IR powerstages.

Realy high quality stuff, next to that it has a nice onboard audio solution, intel nic, wifi and bluetooth, u.2, very stable bios, and RGB lighting etc etc.

2 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

If you concider X99 then the Asus X99 ROG strix is realy a board that i can recommend yes.

Its just high quality and decent.

The VRM implementation is a 8 true phases for cpu vcore all digital VRM implementation from IR, and IR powerstages.

Realy high quality stuff, next to that it has a nice onboard audio solution, intel nic, wifi and bluetooth, u.2, very stable bios, and RGB lighting.

already bought yesterday  Msi X99 gaming pro carbon  ..I will receive today ..buy i can return if dont like.

10 minutes ago, jaaa1976 said:

already bought yesterday  Msi X99 gaming pro carbon  ..I will receive today ..buy i can return if dont like.

i´m currious which pwm controller Msi has choosed to use on that board.

Unfortunatly i´m not been able to take a look at it myself yet.

I realy hope that Msi this time arround has choosed for an IR implementation and not ISL like they did on all their previous X99 boards.