5820K is faster

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

It really depends on your usage. Intel Xeon is more of a server-grade CPU designed for redundancy compared to Intel i7. Technically speaking, Xeon should be better in multi-tasking than any consumer-graded i-series but as the i7 is a lot newer, it should theoretically perform better than the xeon.

According to http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Xeon-E5-1620-v3-vs-Intel-Core-i7-5820K Intel's i7-5820K does better in both multi-core and single-cored performance. The intel-i7 boasts 6 cores compared to intel's xeon which boasts only quad cores. The xeon has a higher clock speed and according to CPUBOSS, "Clock speed has clearly been traded in for more cores in most of server" .  Also note that the xeon is a full $100 cheaper than the intel-i7.

In reality, look at your budget. If you want something strong and cost-effective, go for the Xeon. The Xeon should also support the use of error-correcting RAM. If you really want something stronger with 6 cores and a great clock speed and more cache space, I suggest spending $100 more and going for the intel i7-5820k. Personally, I would go for the i7.

Edited by shayan_doust
Added more detail

Did I help you with your problem? If so, give my comment a like and even mark it as the solution!

54 minutes ago, happyteddybearwithnobeard said:

Xeon E5-1620 v3 or 5820K voor X99 build? Xeon is 80 euros cheaper.

Xeons are made for price/performance and to last long since its for a server , i7's are made for raw performance since you are gonna replace the i7 after 5-6 years while Xeons for servers are replaced every 8-10 years + you just add one more Xeon to your server and gets more life

When life gives you drugs you sell them for a living.

16 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Xeons are made for price/performance and to last long since its for a server , i7's are made for raw performance since you are gonna replace the i7 after 5-6 years while Xeons for servers are replaced every 8-10 years + you just add one more Xeon to your server and gets more life

depends, brand new xeons are expensive af and after a couple of years their prices in the used market drop harder than the world trade center. but they do last for a long time but not in the datacenter as all the people there care about is energy efficiency and cost of maintaining them. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

1 minute ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

depends, brand new xeons are expensive af and after a couple of years their prices in the used market drop harder than the world trade center. but they do last for a long time but not in the datacenter as all the people there care about is energy efficiency and cost of maintaining them. 

Thats why im saying they are made to last and to be efficient i mean having 10000 Xeons in a server and having to replace them every 3-4 years would be stupid + they spend 10-15w less than i7's which in such a huge datacenter could mean being rich or being broke,i7's are made for raw power since any gamer or anybody will not die because of those 10-15w they spend and will not have the CPU for 10 years....

4 minutes ago, The Realist said:

Thats why im saying they are made to last and to be efficient i mean having 10000 Xeons in a server and having to replace them every 3-4 years would be stupid + they spend 10-15w less than i7's which in such a huge datacenter could mean being rich or being broke,i7's are made for raw power since any gamer or anybody will not die because of those 10-15w they spend and will not have the CPU for 10 years....

not really they dont keep thier servers for that long, its more like a every 3 to 4 years that they upgrade. companies like facebook or google would never keep a server for 10 years. if they did then everyone there would have x5460s xeons in there, and lga 771. they all use haswell xeons in there maybe a few boxes are sandy bridge. this is because haswell is so much more energy efficient than sandy bridge or westmere or even harpertown cpus. 

"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning." -Albert Einstein

For the low end Xeon we are talking about 2 benefits over the i7, power efficiency and life expectancy.  We aren't talking about a server, so that eliminates the first benefit.  So unless were talking about a workstation that is going to be under near constant +90% load (which caring about price difference leads me to believe we are not), that eliminates the other benefit as stress and life expectancy will be a non-issue.

honestly, I'm not entirely sure why the  E5-1620v3 exists...maybe a small business server?  The high end Xeons have more threads for parallel and independent computation...but a quad core 2011-3 socket Xeon...even the small business would probably want a bit more cores in a server.

12 minutes ago, glitchmaster0001 said:

not really they dont keep thier servers for that long, its more like a every 3 to 4 years that they upgrade. companies like facebook or google would never keep a server for 10 years. if they did then everyone there would have x5460s xeons in there, and lga 771. they all use haswell xeons in there maybe a few boxes are sandy bridge. this is because haswell is so much more energy efficient than sandy bridge or westmere or even harpertown cpus. 

It really depends on the company smaller companies will keep servers until they die because they are barely utilized at all, but for large datacenters they most likely upgrade their servers everytime a new enthusiast socket comes out 771,2011,2011-3.

The 5820k also will overclock so it will perform a lot better then the xeon. 

@Yamoto42 the xeons are going to have pretty much the same lifespan as an i7, but almost any other component will die before the cpu breaks unless you are overclocking at ridiculous voltages.

•E5-2670 @2.7GHz • Intel DX79SI • EVGA 970 SSC• GSkill Sniper 8Gb ddr3 • Corsair Spec 02 • Corsair RM750 • HyperX 120Gb SSD • Hitachi 2Tb HDD •

1 hour ago, SLAYR said:

It really depends on the company smaller companies will keep servers until they die because they are barely utilized at all, but for large datacenters they most likely upgrade their servers everytime a new enthusiast socket comes out 771,2011,2011-3.

The 5820k also will overclock so it will perform a lot better then the xeon. 

@Yamoto42 the xeons are going to have pretty much the same lifespan as an i7, but almost any other component will die before the cpu breaks unless you are overclocking at ridiculous voltages.

they will have a longer life span since ECC memory has a longer life span than normal memory + the motherboards are MUCH MORE durable than standard PC mobos,the cards they use are either Firepro or Quadro which are also more durable than normal cards,the storage they use is just INSANELY FAST and durable,they are made for price/performance,thats why they are VERY BAD overclockers they are not made for that the i7's are.They probs upgrade the datacenter every second socket that comes out they choose the best CPU from that socket wait 2 sockets and then just upgrade,maybe im wrong but thats what i think