College Apartment

JacobiYounger

I'm looking for a good router/modem for my college apartment. Not sure what I really need or whats good out there. Any recommendations? I'm a college guy so I don't need to spend an arm and a leg.

Do you know if you actually need a modem? Cause if you just need a router one that is plenty powerful for a college apartment is the TP-Link AC1200

Main PC:

Spoiler

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16, GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER STRIX GAMING, Case: NZXT H710, StorageSamsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB NVME, Sabrent Rocket 2 TB NVME, and WD Blue 4TB 2.5"PSU: NZXT C 850 W 80+ Gold

Home Network:

Spoiler

Router: Ubiquiti USG-3, APs: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and Ubiquiti USP-AC-PRO, Switches: Ubiquiti US-16-150W

I'm pretty sure I need both. I can rent a modem from the company but I would rather have my own.

So I am going to assume that you need a cable modem. So I'd go with the router mentioned before and for the modem I would go with the Arris SURFboard SB6121

or if you want a router/modem combo maybe the NETGEAR N600 Wi-Fi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router

For me personally I would go with the separate router and modem cause you get more bang for your buck.

Main PC:

Spoiler

OS: Windows 10 Pro, Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming, CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X, Cooler: NZXT Kraken X63RAMCorsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB DDR4-3200 CL16, GPU: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER STRIX GAMING, Case: NZXT H710, StorageSamsung 970 Evo Plus 1 TB NVME, Sabrent Rocket 2 TB NVME, and WD Blue 4TB 2.5"PSU: NZXT C 850 W 80+ Gold

Home Network:

Spoiler

Router: Ubiquiti USG-3, APs: Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LR and Ubiquiti USP-AC-PRO, Switches: Ubiquiti US-16-150W

Yeah I would rather have 2 seperate items. I guess I just have to do some research and figure out what I want to do.

3 minutes ago, JacobiYounger said:

Yeah I would rather have 2 seperate items. I guess I just have to do some research and figure out what I want to do.

I would also check the internet providers website because the might have a list of modems that they say work with their service.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Home Network:

Spoiler