Radiator stacking

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?220874-More-Radiator-Sandwich-testing

I know its said that stacking radiators dont give any benefit or give worse result with low rpm / static pressure fans.

But I dont really see why it should not work. I mean, its just like having a very thick radiator.

It will of course require more powerful fans, but other then that, so should it work.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

I think I should really matter. I mean I don't think that Linus would do that if that was the case (He has it in his personal computer).

Aslong as you have powerfull fans that are able to move a decent amount of air through both radiators it wouldn't matter.

and that its negative for cooling is BS you can't have it increase temp.

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

36 minutes ago, iBeast_M0de said:

I think I should really matter. I mean I don't think that Linus would do that if that was the case (He has it in his personal computer).

Aslong as you have powerfull fans that are able to move a decent amount of air through both radiators it wouldn't matter.

and that its negative for cooling is BS you can't have it increase temp.

I feel the same.

The only time you would get negative cooling by getting thicker radiator, are if the fans are not good enough to push the air through.

Then again, the test I linked was with only 1200rpm fans.

5 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

I feel the same.

The only time you would get negative cooling by getting thicker radiator, are if the fans are not good enough to push the air through.

Then again, the test I linked was with only 1200rpm fans.

And those fans might not be optimized for static pressure

Spoiler

CPU: R7 5800x -- Mobo: Gigabyte B550 Gaming X v2 -- RAM: 2x16GB Kingston Fury Renegade -- GPU: Asrock RX 6800 XT Phantom Gaming OC -- Case: Fractal Design North Walnut/Black Mesh -- Storage: 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 4TB NM790 -- PSU: BeQuiet Pure Power 11 Platinum 650w -- Displays: AOC AGON  AG352UCG, Dell Ultrasharp U2715H -- Cooling: Noctua NH-D14 -- Mouse: Corsair M65 -- Keyboard: Func KB 460 MX Blue -- Sound: Motu M2 -> THX 789 -> DT880 600Ω -- Mic: RØDE NT1-A

Spoiler

RIG 2: Intel i5-8400, 16 GB RAM, RTX 2070S

Spoiler

but not for a raw delta gain of 2°-8° overall temperature loss, adding extra points of failure, and sheer extra budget extension.

re-run the testing, you'll find the same results.

as per martins: https://martinsliquidlab.wordpress.com/category/radiators/

This is not my test data, but I felt is was important enough and an excellent set of data to mirror here for those sandwich questions that come up now and then.  Shane (HESmelaugh) did a whole bunch of testing on trying to sandwich two radiators with fans in all sorts of configurations that vets out this common question extremely well.  In a nutshell he found that when using slower fan speeds of 800 and 1200 RPM there was no practical benefit to stacking radiators.  The reason for this is that air has very poor specific heat capacity and for the most part already heated up after it passes through the first radiator leaving the second radiator with already used up warm air that simply doesn’t have any storage for more heat.  In addition the second radiator causes problems with fan performance adding air and water restriction to the single radiator condition.  I suspect this may change very slightly with extremely high fan speeds (3000+RPM) types, but I think it’s pretty well safe to say stacking of radiators just doesn’t work well at all and generally should be avoided if the intent is performance increase.

5 minutes ago, airdeano said:

but not for a raw delta gain of 2°-8° overall temperature loss, adding extra points of failure, and sheer extra budget extension.

re-run the testing, you'll find the same results.

How much radiator space are we talking with those numbers?

After all, if you case can only fit a 240mm, but you can stack another one on the outside and get the same performance as 360mm, its more or less worth it.