Did I make a good decision? Help!

Hey guys! I just purchased a new ASUS ROG gl552vw (https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B015ZG997I?camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B01578ZKPO&linkCode=as2&linkId=RSCNADV6LKIXMIOP&pc_redir=T1&redirect=true&tag=dav0d2-20&th=1&psc=1) a few days ago and proceeded to download an old copy of Assassins Creed 3  to test it out. After playing for a mere 30 minutes my temperatures (using Hardware Monitor) were showing around 82-90c +/-. Is this normal for a laptop? I had in in my lap but made sure to not cover the vents. I was playing assassins creed 3 when this happened. Unfortunately I wasn't able to check the cpu/gpu usage and only know the general temperature for each while playing it. The idle temps were around 50C once I started doing some things. If I leave it and do absolutely nothing after starting it up then it will sit around 42C.

So I officially exchanged it at bestbuy. The laptop I exchanged it for was this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834232863&buyingoptions=New  

It has a dual cooling system, 970m, no ssd, 17in size, and all that for 1050$ at the time of getting it. I'm really worried that I made the wrong choice.

Did I make a good choice?

Should I have just exchanged it for a replacement of the same laptop? What are the main quality differences between them?

Do you happen to know if the g751jt has any screen flex or stress points?

Now I have heard that you can clone the operating system over to an ssd without buying Windows 10 all over again, is this true?

IF I install an ssd, it will void the warranty. Should I wait and install the ssd later (when I really need it) and just move over important things so that I can make sure the laptop is working well before voiding the warranty?

ANY information you can provide will help!

3 hours ago, Wedsea040 said:

If you like the new laptop better, then I would say you made a good decision. It's really just objective. ASUS is not my strong point but it sounds like a good PC from the specs.

This doesn't really help me at all. :/

i haven't received the new one yet so I wouldn't know.

1 hour ago, Wedsea040 said:

Higher CPU clock speeds (3.6 for the new one vs. 3.5 for old)

3.4GHz 4-core load (4720HQ) vs 3.1GHz 4-core load (6700HQ), is what he switched out. Single-core boost of 3.6GHz vs single core boost of 3.5GHz is mostly irrelevant. Just for future reference for you. Skylake mobile has huge single-thread turbo numbers, but their 4-core turbo numbers are rather extremely low.

8 hours ago, bennithejman said:

After playing for a mere 30 minutes my temperatures (using Hardware Monitor) were showing around 82-90c +/-. Is this normal for a laptop?

Is it "normal"? Yes, unfortunately. That doesn't mean it's "acceptable" as you've discovered. ASUS only has good cooling in their more top end models. Their lower end models have pretty much crap for cooling, and often have artificially low throttle limits for temp on their hardware (75c throttle point on 860M/960M has been seen before).

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

I actually own a G751, although a little lower end of a model.

9 hours ago, bennithejman said:

Did I make a good choice?

Should I have just exchanged it for a replacement of the same laptop? What are the main quality differences between them?

Do you happen to know if the g751jt has any screen flex or stress points?

Now I have heard that you can clone the operating system over to an ssd without buying Windows 10 all over again, is this true?

IF I install an ssd, it will void the warranty. Should I wait and install the ssd later (when I really need it) and just move over important things so that I can make sure the laptop is working well before voiding the warranty?

ANY information you can provide will help!

Depends. If you aren't concerned as much about transporting the machine as you are about raw performance, then you're fine. I can personally tolerate the weight of mine but your model may be a tad bit larger.

I wouldn't, if you're looking at higher end. The G751's cooling is basically uncontested, which is great for performance and longevity of the device. Battery life is alright too, it's enough to use at school.

There's screen flex, but it's extremely minor, not enough to be a concern when transporting. No specific stress points.

Windows registers the board, not the storage, so a fresh install shouldn't be a bother. I personally cloned my HDD to an SSD but I wouldn't recommend it.

No. ASUS includes a bracket to add a SATA or M.2 SSD in addition to the stock storage config, which is nifty. I opted for SATA because I was cheap.

Finding a carrying bag is a bitch and a half, I've been using a messenger bag for the life of my laptop but I'd really rather a backpack, otherwise I love my unit.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.