Bringing Graphics Card on plane

Bluebeano

I'm planning to buy the GTX 1070 in America as it's a hell of a lot cheaper over there than it is in Britain. Does anyone have experience with this? Will security take issue with it? Should i put it in hand luggage? Will i have to pay VAT once i get back into the UK? Any help would be appreciated

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 3.5GHz

Motherboard: Asus Z97-P DDR3 ATX

RAM: Kingston HyperX Savage 8GB 2400MHz

GPU: Palit Geforce GTX 1060

Case: Zalman Z9+

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM HDD, SK Hynix 256GB SSD

PSU: SuperFlower Golden Green HX 550W

Im not suree asbout the security, but are you going to america just to buy the gpu? I don't think they'll make you pay tax on products you already payed for.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 FE | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 4x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 | MoBo: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII  | Case: Corsair 5000D AF CPU cooler: Corsair H150i CapellixPSU: Corsair RM850x |

1 minute ago, Ranger515 said:

Im not suree asbout the security, but are you going to america just to buy the gpu? I don't think they'll make you pay tax on products you already payed for.

I was already going to go to America, it just happens that the GPU I want launches in the same year I go out there

Just now, Bluebeano said:

I was already going to go to America, it just happens that the GPU I want launches in the same year I go out there

again im not sure about the whole security policy, TSA are tough aholes

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800X 4.4GHz | GPU: RTX 3070 FE | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 4x8GB 3600MHz DDR4 | MoBo: ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII  | Case: Corsair 5000D AF CPU cooler: Corsair H150i CapellixPSU: Corsair RM850x |

buy the one from zotac since it's black and then if they find it say its a bomb

and don't forget to say "its just a prank"

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

You'll be fine, as long as the box is open. I'd also either keep it with me on the plane, which is a bit annoying. Or stick it in your suitcase, however if you do so you better padlock your baggage! Don't want dem baggage handlers opening your suitcase and finding a lovely 1070 in there. It's happened to me before.

I personally wouldn't do it, costume officers don't know what a GPU is, there are multiple stories circulating the web that people have been taken aside because they had a GPU in their suitcase and the costume officer thought it was a bomb or something dangerous, so please if you do it, let us know if you got arrested so we can confirm if those stories got some truth behind them.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

1 minute ago, Bsmith said:

I personally wouldn't do it, costume officers don't know what a GPU is, there are multiple stories circulating the web that people have been taken aside because they had a GPU in their suitcase and the costume officer thought it was a bomb or something dangerous, so please if you do it, let us know if you got arrested so we can confirm if those stories got some truth behind them.

But it would cost ridiculous amounts to get it shipped, and even more to buy it over here

1 minute ago, Bluebeano said:

But it would cost ridiculous amounts to get it shipped, and even more to buy it over here

then wait till the price's drop, or better get a liquid cooled 980 (ti) those are around the same price and performs better in most current games.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I once brought a whole pre-built PC with a monitor and everything and only the Germans stopped me (going from USA to Poland)

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

And according to sutoms if you bring something back for personal use than you don't have to pay taxes. Only if you plan to sell it. It's best to have the box already open to show that's "it's already been used"

CPU - i5-8400 , Motherboard - ASROCK Z370 Killer SLI, RAM - 2x8 GB DDR4 2400mhz , GPU - EVGA GTX 950 SC, Case - SilentiumPC PAX M70 Pure Black V2 Storage - 240GB SanDisk SSD, 1TB WD Blue, PSU - bequite! 600w Pure Power 10, Display - Dell P2417H, Cooling - bequiet! Pure Rock, Keyboard - Viper V730, Mouse - natec Genesis G55, Sound - Philips MCD712, OS - Windows 10 Professional 64-bit

29 minutes ago, Bluebeano said:

I'm planning to buy the GTX 1070 in America as it's a hell of a lot cheaper over there than it is in Britain. Does anyone have experience with this? Will security take issue with it? Should i put it in hand luggage? Will i have to pay VAT once i get back into the UK? Any help would be appreciated

security might inspect it, if they do, it's no problem. you might have to pay for additional costs of bringing it into the country.

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

8 minutes ago, SeanAngelo said:

security might inspect it, if they do, it's no problem. you might have to pay for additional costs of bringing it into the country.

how much would that be? Would it be the 20% for VAT?

2 minutes ago, Bluebeano said:

how much would that be? Would it be the 20% for VAT?

You won't pay anything, don't worry.

4 minutes ago, miniahobbie said:

You won't pay anything, don't worry.

Are you sure?, if i do, it will basically negate the difference, but i also have the added risk of them thinking it's a bomb

It depends, When my uncle has done it with cameras he has had times where he has opened the box but still had to prove he bought it before going the the us..which he couldn't do.. so he had to pay the imporrt tax. But other times they had seen it but the didn't do anything so i think it might be just having a bit of luck. And after the import tax i think it was the same price has here in the uk any way so it is probably worth the ris? I think with the gpu  being so new and high profile it might attract there intrest so not as easy to get through as a dslr and lenses which a lot of tourist take with them. Good luck if you do try it though. It will be a huge saving!!

5 minutes ago, dan13sar said:

It depends, When my uncle has done it with cameras he has had times where he has opened the box but still had to prove he bought it before going the the us..which he couldn't do.. so he had to pay the imporrt tax. But other times they had seen it but the didn't do anything so i think it might be just having a bit of luck. And after the import tax i think it was the same price has here in the uk any way so it is probably worth the ris? I think with the gpu  being so new and high profile it might attract there intrest so not as easy to get through as a dslr and lenses which a lot of tourist take with them. Good luck if you do try it though. It will be a huge saving!!

Its a tough decision, I'm not sure what to do

And also if you were wondering if your order the gtx 1070 GPU (founders addition from the USA) it would cost 310.47 sterling but you would have to pay 62.09 in taxes and duty so the total in £372.57 which is cheaper than the 399 here, but this does not include shipping.... but you wouldn't have to pay shipping since your flying in with it anyways. So it is cheaper no matter what if you buy it in the usa. It is only more expensive if you ship it over unless you can haggle free shipping some how.

3 minutes ago, Bluebeano said:

Its a tough decision, I'm not sure what to do

If it was me i would do it. Nothing to lose, I would keep it in my hand luggage though that way i can always see it. You can check if things are cheaper the import using this website http://www.dutycalculator.com/ I've used it when coming back from holidays to see if its worth buying some stuff while i'm there.

23 minutes ago, Bluebeano said:

Are you sure?, if i do, it will basically negate the difference, but i also have the added risk of them thinking it's a bomb

As long as you keep a receipt and have the box open you'll be fine. But the easiest way to avoid trouble or delays is to put it into your suitcase and padlock your suitcase. I've been to Canada and brought some parts back, they never asked me about anything nor did the UK. 

Just explain to them if they ask about it. They will probably ask. Keep all receipts  and keep it all in its original packaging. 

1 minute ago, Rodinski said:

Just explain to them if they ask about it. They will probably ask. Keep all receipes and keep it all in its original packaging. 

My main worry isn't it being mistaken for a bomb, its whether I will have to pay VAT on it, negating the difference and making it pointless

On 6/11/2016 at 1:26 PM, Bluebeano said:

My main worry isn't it being mistaken for a bomb, its whether I will have to pay VAT on it, negating the difference and making it pointless

In Canada we just have to claim how much we spent.  If it exceeds a certain amount, we have to play tax on it.  I believe this is similar to your situation.  As long as it is below this amount, you shouldn't have to.