GPU Boost 3.0 software

I have a gigabyte GTX 1080 founders edition for the college now (still don't know how I managed to pull that off)

and im looking at simply overclockingsoftware the card with GPU Boost 3.0

(automatically, don't have time at the moment to tinker with it manually)

I see that there is an EVGA overclocking software to do this but is there anything else that I'm missing? (Other software)

system:

.maximus viii formula

.I7-6700K

.16GB 3000MHz

.corsair H100i

.250GB SSD

.GTX 1080 founders edition

.windows 10 pro 64bit

Thanks and sorry if I take a some time to reply :/

You're not going to be able to overclock at all with a reference cooler, your thermals will be too high.

7 hours ago, Hunched said:

You're not going to be able to overclock at all with a reference cooler, your thermals will be too high.

not even just a little bit?

many things come to mind, 8-pin power (holding overall capabilities down 175watt vs 250watt), overall cooling will be pressed hard without sounding like a hairdryer, and the 'canned' overclocking softs seem to only allow 120% overclock (some to base clock some use boost clock) and some only 107%.

for for a 'quickie' "what do i put to make it fast?" will only be hit and miss at best.

if you do not have the time to invest, then do not venture into overclocking.

3 minutes ago, LTD3000 said:

not even just a little bit?

You can OC with the FE one =.= it just that the temp will be high and once you pass a certain threshold the card will automatically clock down to keep the temp below the limit. As demonstrate by all the reviewer you can OC the FE to about 1.9Ghz-2Ghz safely, 2.1Ghz is a bit out of reach for most card as of now.

As for software to OC, you can check out MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision X. both are free and can be use with any card (you can buy a card from MSI and use EVGA software without any problem). Keep in my that OC is different from GPU Boost. GPU Boost is the card OC by itself without user input, so say your card on idle run at like 400mhz or something because nothing need to use the resource, but then you turn on a game, even when the stock clock is about 1.5Ghz, the GPU boost will automatically ram it up to about 1.8Ghz since it know that that is safe. Your OC will be applied on top of that GPU boost, so say you OC about 100mhz more, when the GPU boost kick in it will be come 1.9Ghz instead of 1.8Ghz.

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log