Over-clock keeps resetting on my G1 980

So I kinda have a problem, And its with overclocking my gpu. So I dedicated my entire day yesterday, to find how far I could push my card. However once I thought I had reached its "sweet Spot" and stress tested it for a while, I would double check it by running another stress test. The problem Is that the overclock would normally reset on the second test, even though it had not reset on the long first one. I stayed patient and dialed it down some, and tried again, and this time after stress testing all day, the overclock stuck with no other problems either. Then I went to bed, and after I woke up and tried to play a game, it reset. Am I doing anything wrong? I will say im pretty new to doing this, but Ive read a lot of guides and such, and have good cooling, so why does it do that?  

By "reset" it goes back to stock speeds, right?

What software are you using to overclock?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

By "reset" it goes back to stock speeds, right?

What software are you using to overclock?

Yes the core , and memory go back to there stock speeds. Im using msi afterburner.

1 minute ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

Yes the core , and memory go back to there stock speeds. Im using msi afterburner.

Do you have it set to apply the OC on startup?

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

Just now, HPWebcamAble said:

Do you have it set to apply the OC on startup?

yes, the oc applies on start up, but if I play a game, and sometimes when stressing it, it resets. However It will normally pass a stress test that ill run for a while.

22 hours ago, justRICHTOFEN said:

yes, the oc applies on start up, but if I play a game, and sometimes when stressing it, it resets. However It will normally pass a stress test that ill run for a while.

Huh, strange. Maybe try reinstalling Afterburner, but if that doesn't work (and I don't expect it to), I have no idea.

Maybe someone else has an idea

@Enderman ?

21 minutes ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Huh, strange. Maybe try reinstalling Afterburner, but if that doesn't work (and I don't expect it to), I have no idea.

Maybe someone else has an idea

@Enderman ?

never seen this happen before

maybe reinstall afterburner or something, or try the beta version

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020