What do you think?

Go to solution Solved by Shahnewaz,

Nevermind everyone, got the perfect build for OP: :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot he had requirements. But we'll see.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($204.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($33.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380X 4GB NITRO Video Card  ($238.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Core 1500 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($55.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $682.41
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 01:47 EDT-0400

Hello! Scope this out:

Goals: Needs to play most games and look pretty. No more than $680 If possible, $500.

If you are going to suggest something, Please don't change the case or the wireless network card. Trust me, they are there for a reason.

Thanks for the help!

:)

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/P8bWGf

CPU: Ryzen 3800X  MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)  RAM: Corsair LPX 3200MHz 35GB (2x16) GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 PSU: EVGA  850BQ  COOLING: Noctua NH-D15  CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White

If you don't have anything against AMD, I have a feeling the new RX 480 is going to offer vastly better performance for the same price as the GPU you've picked.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If you don't have anything against AMD, I have a feeling the new RX 480 is going to offer vastly better performance for the same price as the GPU you've picked.

Do we know when it will be released?

CPU: Ryzen 3800X  MOBO: Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (Wi-Fi)  RAM: Corsair LPX 3200MHz 35GB (2x16) GPU: EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 PSU: EVGA  850BQ  COOLING: Noctua NH-D15  CASE: Corsair Vengeance C70 Arctic White

1 minute ago, Reagan Reese said:

Do we know when it will be released?

I'm actually not sure to be honest but they demoed a working one so it must be soon.  Within a month actually if I were to just guess.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Pretty good, but here is a similar (or better) performing build hitting around $575.

As you said, I didn't change the case and network card, but why? There are better options.

You can get Windows cheaper at Kinguin.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($213.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $572.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 01:07 EDT-0400

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

On 2015-01-28 at 5:24 PM, Victorious Secret said:

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

On 2016-06-07 at 11:25 PM, patrickjp93 said:

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

On 2016-09-10 at 4:32 PM, Hikaru12 said:

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

2 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Pretty good, but here is a similar (or better) performing build hitting around $575.

As you said, I didn't change the case and network card, but why? There are better options.

You can get Windows cheaper at Kinguin.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 845 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($59.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3HP ATX FM2+ Motherboard  ($76.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory  ($38.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 380 4GB NITRO Dual-X OC Video Card  ($213.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($63.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($52.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN881ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $572.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-06-06 01:07 EDT-0400

Looks good. You would pick that Athlon over the 6300?

8 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

Looks good. You would pick that Athlon over the 6300?

Yep, the Athlon should edge out the FX6300 in single threaded workloads, because of the revised architecture and faster RAM speeds. In multi-threaded workloads, both CPUs should fare well.

The problem is that this is an nVidia product and scoring any nVidia product a "zero" is also highly predictive of the number of nVidia products the reviewer will receive for review in the future.

Only yours, you don't shitpost on the same level that we can, mainly because this thread is finally dead and should be locked.

I wasn't wrong. It's extremely rare that I am. I provided sources as well. Different devs can disagree. Further, we now have confirmed discrepancy from Twitter about he use of the pre-release 1080 driver in AMD's demo despite the release 1080 driver having been out a week prior.

You apparently haven't seen his responses to questions on YouTube. He is very condescending and aggressive in his comments with which there is little justification. He acts totally different in his videos. I don't necessarily care for this content style and there is nothing really unique about him or his channel. His endless dick jokes and toilet humor are annoying as well.

3 minutes ago, Shahnewaz said:

Yep, the Athlon should edge out the FX6300 in single threaded workloads, because of the revised architecture and faster RAM speeds. In multi-threaded workloads, both CPUs should fare well.

I would up the PSU up a little, so future upgrades are warmly excepted. How about future CPU upgrades? Is FM2 good for that?

3 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

I would up the PSU up a little, so future upgrades are warmly excepted. How about future CPU upgrades? Is FM2 good for that?

frankly no AMD motherboard is good for CPU upgrades right now

32 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I'm actually not sure to be honest but they demoed a working one so it must be soon.  Within a month actually if I were to just guess.

I heard June 29th for the 480? Not sure if that's accurate, and it might just be for reference (as always I would say wait for aftermarket). Either way that looks like a solid build! I know you don't want to change out that wifi card, but I would recommend getting a different one. If you really want that one for whatever reason just a heads up, the drivers do not support Windows 10 so install the driver in Win8 compatibility mode, that worked for me. That PSU will be just fine for you to upgrade in the future, but I might switch to an Intel chip like an i3-6100 or something similar if you want upgradeability. As Ryan said AMD motherboard have almost no upgradeability at this point. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

frankly no AMD motherboard is good for CPU upgrades right now

I've never messed with Intel before, Would that be a better choice? I'm a total noob on Intel stuff.

9 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

CPU Upgrades - FM2 is no good. Neither is AM3+. Intel's LGA1151 will survive another year, but that's all.

If you are really looking for socket longevity, then there is nothing that comes near to LGA2011. But that is well out of your reach. So I'd say don't worry about CPU upgrades. Buy what you need now, and upgrade the whole thing later.

PSU - Sure, no problem. 500-550W is good for most high-end builds. Here's a recommendation: http://pcpartpicker.com/product/2tckcf/xfx-power-supply-xfxts550w

2 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

I've never messed with Intel before, Would that be a better choice? I'm a total noob on Intel stuff.

Like I said, i3-6100 would be pretty solid for that build.

5 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

It tends to be a little pricier but Intel is vastly ahead right now in terms of performance and efficiency.

2 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Like I said, i3-6100 would be pretty solid for that build.

Hate to ask, aren't i3's dual core only? That will hurt this build immensely.

4 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

How so? Games that are high end enough to take advantage of more than 2 cores won't run super great on a 960 anyways, and it has better single-core performance than the AMD chip. Unless you're going to have a lot of highly multithreaded workloads it should be fine.

Edit: grammar

4 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

They are dual cores with hyper-threading.  I would recommend something like an i5 6400; it would give you slightly more single-threaded performance than the X4 845 yet still more total performance than the FX 6300; best of both worlds, and an upgrade path to the 6700k ;)

11 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

At your budget, it's a tough choice. I could recommend you a build with a Pentium G4400, but you have to be 100% sure you will upgrade in the future (not too late then you have to hunt for second hand parts).

5 minutes ago, Reagan Reese said:

Yep. It won't necessarily hurt performance now, but it will hurt more as time goes by, and DX12 and Vulkan gets more and more adopted.

2 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I would recommend something like an i5 6400

That will bring the total budget up some, but it would probably be worth it.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

That will bring the total budget up some, but it would probably be worth it.

you get a modern platform with DDR4, newer types of USB, etc. whatever else has changed in the last... what is it now, 3 years? :)

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you get a modern platform with DDR4, newer types of USB, etc. whatever else has changed in the last... what is it now, 3 years? :)

Hence "Would probably be worth it" :D

EDIT: Oops, forgot he had requirements. But we'll see.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX TS 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($62.99 @ SuperBiiz)

3 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

How much would all this new stuff cost with the same performance?

1 minute ago, Shahnewaz said:

Changed the case and wireless card. :(