How did you learn Linux?

How did you learn linux? What all do you know about Linux? Do you consider yourself a "Master?"

I'm asking because i'm currently learning basics like filesystem navigation via command line online on codecademy. 

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

I'm by no means a master, but I'd say I'm at least proficient. I just kinda threw myself into it and didn't look back I guess. I watched a ton of YouTube videos, failed at installing Arch like 10 times, Googled the hell out of every issue I ran into... It just kinda came to me. In all honesty, it's not that hard to figure out. Having it as the only OS on my laptop helped a lot too.

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

5 minutes ago, steezemageeze said:

I'm by no means a master, but I'd say I'm at least proficient. I just kinda threw myself into it and didn't look back I guess. I watched a ton of YouTube videos, failed at installing Arch like 10 times, Googled the hell out of every issue I ran into... It just kinda came to me. In all honesty, it's not that hard to figure out. Having it as the only OS on my laptop helped a lot too.

Interesting. What do you do with your Linux? As in, what tasks do you accomplish using the Linux OS. 

"Ravioli Ravioli give me the Formuoli"

1 minute ago, silvinodino said:

Interesting. What do you do with your Linux? As in, what tasks do you accomplish using the Linux OS. 

Honestly, not a lot. General computer stuff, and teaching myself programming. I'm only 16, so I don't have a job or anything important that I use it for. I just enjoy using it to be honest. It's like my little playground for me to go figure out how stuff works I guess.

TL;DR:

• Web browsing
  • programming
  • some gaming (usually boot to Windows though)
  • Exploring the OS/figuring out how it works
  • Learning new things

A Guide For Getting Started With Linux

My first rig:   CPU: AMD Athlon X4 860k Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 MoBo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-DH3 Video Card: EVGA GTX 750 Ti Superclocked RAM: 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury White 1866MHz Storage: WD Blue 1TB PSU: EVGA 100-W1-0500-KR Case: Rosewill SRM-01

If you have an old pc(200mb of ram even) laying around or a computer that you can put vm on then just follow a guide to put ubuntu or mint on it and then just go about the interwebs trying anything. 

Look into the lamp stack and ssh first, as well as look at some "linux basics" commands like

sudo - admin rights

apt-get - a way to install, upgrade, or remove programs

shutdown - the first word to shutdown or restart

vi - text editer for editing config files or anything

ls - list files or folders

rm - delete

As the previous guy, i"m no expert by far, but I know my way around Debian

Google and stackoverflow are your friends

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

install linux as main os

spend countless hours googling and trying lots of things

???

linux master that still ends up on google :P

I have Ubuntu as my main os as I dislike the route that windows is taking for windows 10. I would still say I am a newbie but I can get somethings done

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a little over a year ago after I got tired of windows 7 taking almost 20 minutes to log in after I got it to stop blue screening on boot.  I learned by doing and using Google.

By using it! And that's the only way...

Computer users fall into two groups:
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.

Yeah just use it and you'll learn most of it.

Start with something basic like Ubuntu just to get around the real basics of the terminal, then move on to something a bit more indepth.

Arch isn't that awkward to install, if you follow a guide at first, and even just doing that will give you an appreciation of Linux more than Ubuntu would.

Then once you are using it just google and google and google. Luckily, if you do use something like Arch it has one of the best Forums and Wikis that I've ever used, so 90% of problems you fix just by going there. 

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4