Video Editing Monitor(s)

Hello All,

I will be helping design video editing stations for an upcoming class next year in the high school that I go to. I assume and we seem to have agreed that we will be shooting and editing in 4K. We have a significant amount of money to spend (I was hoping around $2000) on monitors for each station. I was primarily looking at one 4K monitor and 2 1440p ones, but the person from our tech dept. thought that we shouldn't get the 2 1440p ones due to cost. I was primarily looking at the Dell UP3216Q for our 4K monitor due to it being Dell's only 4K monitor with 10-bit color. For 1440p ones, I was looking at the U2515H.

I have multiple questions:

1. Is a 4K monitor necessary/good to have if you are editing 4K videos?
  2. Is offset between monitors of different sizes a problem, and if it is how can it be avoided? (difference in screen resolution causing the "edges" of the screens to not line up)
  3. Is 1 32 inch monitor large enough to edit efficiently?
  4. Would it be worth getting 1080p monitors instead of 1440p ones to save some money?
  5. Would 21:9 be a better aspect ratio than 16:9 for video editing?
  6. How can we layout monitor(s) for aesthetics and ease of use?

Any other general recommendations for the design of our editing stations that you may have is also very welcome.

Note: The people who I'm working with (who are staff) think that students will be editing in small groups (~5). How might that change the requirements/recommendations for monitors and layout?

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.