Media center for a small apartment upgrade - *Complete*

Living with my wife in a 1 bedroom apartment has shown its issues.  Like gaming on a custom PC is not all quite possible when using the space as efficiently as we try.  I have resorted to console gaming on the Xbox One and PS3 while needing to be creative.  This build log shows the work in progress of cleaning up my little bit of gaming space while also showing the creativity of keeping an apartment classy and clutter free (at least in to a tight corner).  Also, this was a good time to learn creative wood techniques. 

Hope you all enjoy.

This is my current setup, complete with wiring.  I keep game cases in the tiny box to the bottom right.  My old Xbox 360 could sit on that coke box, but the Xbone doesn't allow for vertical standing.  Tried. :(  I hide power plugs behind the coke box and an extension cord when I get my SNES to play some Donkey Cong country.

IMG_20160602_072819183.jpg

Here is a close up look of the TV.  A no frills Sony.

IMG_20160602_072805834.jpg

It feeds down under the carpet.  Didn't do that on purpose.  Landlord had to fix the subfloor and the wiring got tucked under it.  Quite nice. :) 

Yes, that is a first gen Zune.  Best media player on the planet and it still works.  Only a 3 hour battery now.

IMG_20160602_072830692.jpg

Here is the culprit that I am going to fix.  I will build a shelf to stack the PS3 and Xbone.

Idea is to add an HDMI switcher to allow the computer behind the bag to run on the TV as well.  I will do a separate post when I get around to getting the PC up and running as a media server and NAS.

IMG_20160602_072848429.jpg

I am going to fix all my problems with this.  Scrap wood.  Courtesy of my father in law, as well as the power tools to make my storage organizer.  

IMG_20160601_190030720.jpg

I won't show the steps in cutting.  Pretty standard cuts with very basic joints, glue, and 4 in screws.

IMG_20160601_205533143.jpg

Most of the pieces together to form a frame.

IMG_20160601_212744555.jpg

IMG_20160601_214723947.jpg

Ran out of time and grabbed a piece to take home and verify it would fit.

IMG_20160602_072915085.jpg

Perfect!  And yes, the Xbone will squeeze in there with micrometers to spare on each side.  I won't be boarding up the sides for airflow sake.  I will finish putting all the pieces together this week and will upload more pics.  Thanks for taking a look.  All thoughts are welcome.

~TheCamba

• 2 weeks later...

Finally!  An update and a conclusion after waiting for some free time and having issues with UPS to USPS on Sundays.  The mail carrier that was unfamiliar with where I have my mail delivered thought that our neighbor could use my hdmi switcher.  Anyways, here are the resulting photos.

The cabinet barebones.

IMG_20160611_112720393.jpg

Here it is with the shelving properly nailed down.

IMG_20160611_132833893.jpg

Add a little paint and watch it transform into a master piece.

IMG_20160611_140417334_HDR.jpg

And guess what?  It fits the PS3 and Xbox One just right.  Literally there is microscopic room on either side for the Xbone.  I am just glad it fits. :)

IMG_20160615_191634086.jpg

Was able to tidy up cable management behind it.  Only purchases I made for this project was the HDMI switcher ($27.99) and pack of 2 really short HDMI cables ($6.49).  Paint was left over from a project 2 years ago.  Wood was left over scraps from my father-in-laws house projects.  Over all, it is pretty shoddy, but gets the job done.  Always looking for an opportunity to work on my wood crafting skills.

Note: Yes, I can reach the USB port on the left side of the Xbox One.

Very  Home-y, we've all been there... or will be there in college - trying to use space efficiently as possible. 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

Very  Home-y, we've all been there... or will be there in college - trying to use space efficiently as possible. 

Absolutely.  Since we only have 1 bed room, my wife has given me permission to be creative to certain degrees.

1 minute ago, TheCamba said:

Absolutely.  Since we only have 1 bed room, my wife has given me permission to be creative to certain degrees.

the living room is your domain lol

any plans for an Gaming HTPC in the future? 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

1 minute ago, Heesleemer said:

the living room is your domain lol

any plans for an Gaming HTPC in the future? 

Kind of.  To the right in the last picture behind all those bags is a tower that i use for network storage.  Just upgraded it to a q9500 and 8gb DDR3 of ram.  Getting a GTX 750 for it for free next month.  Right now it has a despicable GX210.  But at least it has HDMI which it is connected into that switch.  Currently with the bad video specs, I am only using it to play SNES and GBA emulators on the TV.  Wife needs to have Donkey Kong Country.  Soon as I get a video card I will be playing more Steam Games or playing with video streaming.