Gpu generation fiasco

0ld_Chicken

I'm just wondering if it is usually like this when new generations of gpus are coming out. I haven't been around long enough to watch the trends myself.  I got in to computers after the gtx 7xx series was released and i don't think things were nearly this crazy when the 9xx dropped but maybe I just pay more attention to the community now. 

Interested to hear your thoughts! 

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

3 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I'm just wondering if it is usually like this when new generations of gpus are coming out. I haven't been around long enough to watch the trends myself.  I got in to computers after the gtx 7xx series was released and i don't think things were nearly this crazy when the 9xx dropped but maybe I just pay more attention to the community now. 

Define "crazy". Do you mean people flipping out, making topics of "omg, what do I do!?!?" or "guyz, crystal ball info on new cards plz!"?

If so, yeah. It's always like this. And it extends to CPUs as well.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

4 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Not necessarily dropped, just stopped giving it as much attention as they probably should have.

1 minute ago, Imakuni said:

Define "crazy". Do you mean people flipping out, making topics of "omg, what do I do!?!?" or "guyz, crystal ball info on new cards plz!"?

If so, yeah. It's always like this. And it extends to CPUs as well.

Partially. Mostly I mean things like people selling their 980ti's for ~350$ before many of the newer options are available or even benchmarked

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Partially. Mostly I mean things like people selling their 980ti's for ~350$ before many of the newer options are available or even benchmarked

Eh, mostly this time was due to the jump to a smaller node.

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

Well... the 1070 and 1080 are both benchmarked already, and they pretty much show that a new 980ti is only worth 350$, with a second hand one being worth ~350$ as a result. They aren't exactly available for purchase right now, but they'll soon be.

In fact, anyone selling a 980ti for higher than those values is just trying to bank on stupid people buying it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

9 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Well... the 1070 and 1080 are both benchmarked already, and they pretty much show that a new 980ti is only worth 350$, with a second hand one being worth ~350$ as a result. They aren't exactly available for purchase right now, but they'll soon be.

In fact, anyone selling a 980ti for higher than those values is just trying to bank on stupid people buying it.

That is true now that the 1070 has been benched. I hadn't looked at details on it yet but it is enticing.  I suppose you are right about its value though, I guess I'm just not used to such quick depreciation yet :)

2 minutes ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

That is true now that the 1070 has been benched. I hadn't looked at details on it yet but it is enticing.  I suppose you are right about its value though, I guess I'm just not used to such quick depreciation yet :)

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting it either. I was quite surprised at the 1070's numbers; if you asked me, I would have said that it was going to perform between the 980 and the 980ti, being closer to the ti range.

But NOPE, Nvidia dropped the ball and made it marginally faster, not slower. I should have seen it coming once the 1080 numbers came out; still, it really took me by surprise.

13 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

To be perfectly honest, I wasn't expecting it either. I was quite surprised at the 1070's numbers; if you asked me, I would have said that it was going to perform between the 980 and the 980ti, being closer to the ti range.

But NOPE, Nvidia dropped the ball and made it marginally faster, not slower. I should have seen it coming once the 1080 numbers came out; still, it really took me by surprise.

For sure! A pleasant surprise, even if it makes both my 980's drop sharply in value.  I'm curious to see what their Ti will do when the time comes.  It'll be interesting to see OC vs OC results too, although for now it seems that the 1080 OC's great until you hit extreme conditions (the whole 1.25v barrier deal)

Yeah things are starting to make a bit more sense. I've been so busy the last few weeks I haven't been properly keeping up with my tech news, and it's been an important few weeks!

33 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

Eh, mostly this time was due to the jump to a smaller node.