650w enough power for 760 and 1080?

Hi,

So im thinking of upgrading to a GTX 1080 but im concerned that I won't have enough power. Im planning to buy a WINDFORCE when it's released (http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5915#kf) and keep my existing WINDFORCE GTX 760 as the 1080 does not have the correct rear i/o for my monitors. I've tried using the onboard intel graphics, but every time I try to install the intel driver for Windows 10 it says my PC does not meet the minimum requirments. I'm running 4690K (of which I plan to OC...), 16GB 1866 GDDR3 and a GTX 760 on an EVGA Supernova 650GQ. Both card's recommended wattages are 500w and I've tried using PSU calculators which have told me that 750w is the recomended wattage for running both simultaneously however I'm told that these arent very reliable.

Thanks,

Adam.

you can't run both at the same time...

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

I'm pretty sure you can as I've seen people run different cards before. Is it something to do with pascal? Different architectures maybe? I'm not talking about SLI, just for extra outputs.

1 minute ago, 8u1letSp0nge said:

I'm pretty sure you can as I've seen people run different cards before. Is it something to do with pascal? Different architectures maybe? I'm not talking about SLI, just for extra outputs.

Also, Linus did a video where he used different cards for PhysX rendering etc.

I know It's from a while ago, but I'm pretty sure you can still do it.

7 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

Can't he use the 760 as a dedicated PhysX card? Sort of useless when the 1080 is as powerful as it is, but doable nonetheless. 

I don't think you will be able to run both on 650w. You can try, but I'm not sure what the results of that will be like. Most 970SLI setups use/require about 750w, so I'd assume a 760 and 1080 would be about the same way.

2 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

Can't he use the 760 as a dedicated PhysX card? Sort of useless when the 1080 is as powerful as it is, but doable nonetheless. 

I don't think you will be able to run both on 650w. You can try, but I'm not sure what the results of that will be like. Most 970SLI setups use/require about 750w, so I'd assume a 760 and 1080 would be about the same way.

It says my average wattage while under load would be about 614w... What if I under-volt and/or under-clock it in Afterburner? Will it damage the card?

I did account for the upgrade to the 1080 while upgrading my PSU and CPU a couple of weeks ago... However I didn't think about the idea of keeping my 760 in mind as i was expecting gigabye to change the rear i/o used on the founders as their older i/o options are pretty decent. I DO still have a GT630 from an old machine, however I need 3 DVI ports and not two as it only has 1.

7 minutes ago, 8u1letSp0nge said:

It says my average wattage while under load would be about 614w... What if I under-volt and/or under-clock it in Afterburner? Will it damage the card?

I don't think it will damage it, but take that with a grain of salt. I'm not too knowledgeable on that sort of stuff. You can try to run the cards with the PSU if you want, and I think the computer will just shut down if you don't have the wattage.

A good PSU will cut out and the PC will power down.
A bad PSU may fail with the smell of burning electronics and never power on again, possibly taking other components with it.

Your PSU (650GQ) received a 9.4 from Johnny Guru, so I'd say it would be the former.

5 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

I don't think it will damage it, but take that with a grain of salt. I'm not too knowledgeable on that sort of stuff. You can try to run the cards with the PSU if you want, and I think the computer will just shut down if you don't have the wattage.

I'll have to try and experiment with a different GPU somehow... And I belive the Windforces have some fancy new power delivery system that will just shut off the card if it doesnt get enough power... as for underclocking, I'll just have to look around some more and see what other people say.

38 minutes ago, 8u1letSp0nge said:

Also, Linus did a video where he used different cards for PhysX rendering etc.

I know It's from a while ago, but I'm pretty sure you can still do it.

That was removed via drivers by Nvidia over a year ago.

36 minutes ago, theninja35 said:

The PhysX chip is not part of the actual GPU so using the 760 as a PhysX card is literally just wasting about 100W of power.

41 minutes ago, 8u1letSp0nge said:

It's to do with the the fact that the cards interfere one with another

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

1 minute ago, don_svetlio said:

That was removed via drivers by Nvidia over a year ago.

The PhysX chip is not part of the actual GPU so using the 760 as a PhysX card is literally just wasting about 100W of power.

It's to do with the the fact that the cards interfere one with another

How do they interfere? They are registered as different graphics adapters in windows. Linus did a video on Crossfire AND SLI in the same PC too, which I thought would have created more interference than just two Nvidia cards.

1 minute ago, 8u1letSp0nge said:

How do they interfere? They are registered as different graphics adapters in windows. Linus did a video on Crossfire AND SLI in the same PC too, which I thought would have created more interference than just two Nvidia cards.

That, as I said, was removed via drivers by Nvidia shortly thereafter as people were using GT 610s alongside 290s and were getting better performance

15 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

That, as I said, was removed via drivers by Nvidia shortly thereafter as people were using GT 610s alongside 290s and were getting better performance

How long ago was that removed? Because I haven't head anything about it AND ive seen other people do it several times. Im not planning to do seperate PhysX rendering which is what you said was removed earlier... AND Nvidia controll panel allows me to select a different device to do PhysX rendering on...