Windows 10 boots to black screen after being put in sleep mode

Jeffro

So my main rig is an AMD 8350, Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard, an XFX 280x, 8 gigs of ram. and i have various ssds and hhds for windows and games.

It was all working fine until yesterday. I went out to go mow the yard and I put my PC into sleep mode. I get done mowing and come back and move my mouse, the light on my monitors go from orange to green like they are coming back on. But the display is just black. So i reboot, thinking it will help. I can see my bios screen and the windows loading screen. But when it gets loaded into windows it just displays a black screen. I have searched forums for this sort of problem but I cannot find anything of the sort. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

CPU: 6700k @ 4.6GHz

Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

GPU: Reference 970

Mobo: Gigabyte GA Z170-HD3

RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB 2400MHz

Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 Black

7 minutes ago, Jeffro said:

So my main rig is an AMD 8350, Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 motherboard, an XFX 280x, 8 gigs of ram. and i have various ssds and hhds for windows and games.

It was all working fine until yesterday. I went out to go mow the yard and I put my PC into sleep mode. I get done mowing and come back and move my mouse, the light on my monitors go from orange to green like they are coming back on. But the display is just black. So i reboot, thinking it will help. I can see my bios screen and the windows loading screen. But when it gets loaded into windows it just displays a black screen. I have searched forums for this sort of problem but I cannot find anything of the sort. 

Thanks in advance for any help.

Please tell us your brand and model of power supply, it might help find the problem.

Do you overclock CPU / RAM? Try booting into windows in stock frequencies then (should be as simple as clearing CMOS).

Also, if you have a different graphics card, try pushing windows with that on.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Please tell us your brand and model of power supply, it might help find the problem.

Do you overclock CPU / RAM? Try booting into windows in stock frequencies then (should be as simple as clearing CMOS).

Also, if you have a different graphics card, try pushing windows with that on.

I have a Corsair CX600 and my cpu is running at 4.5 GHz. I do not have any extra gpus handy, so i will try and boot with stock frequency and with onboard graphics

Just now, Jeffro said:

I have a Corsair CX600 and my cpu is running at 4.5 GHz. I do not have any extra gpus handy, so i will try and boot with stock frequency and with onboard graphics

I don't think there's onboard graphics on the 8350, which is why I suggested another GPU.

But if I'm wrong, that works! Otherwise you might be able to pick a barely capable GPU for like a dollar at a thrift shop / used parts store. (make sure they test it)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

well I have w10 and have this black screen freeze, happens sporadically when my computer sleeps or tries to shutdown/restart... actually thinking about it it hasn't happened for about a week, but it seems to like skipping out for a couple and coming back like "surprise f@#$%^, thought you got rid of me huh?" if it is w10 I don't think it's related to OCing, it's happened even at stock settings and everywhere from there.

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

1 minute ago, Cyracus said:

well I have w10 and have this black screen freeze, happens sporadically when my computer sleeps or tries to shutdown/restart... actually thinking about it it hasn't happened for about a week, but it seems to like skipping out for a couple and coming back like "surprise f@#$%^, thought you got rid of me huh?" if it is w10 I don't think it's related to OCing, it's happened even at stock settings and everywhere from there.

For you, it's about checking whether your power supply can handle Haswell+'s new power states (check for a Haswell-ready bit of info in the PSU description), where the CPU pulls so little power the PSU thinks it's not working and stops giving power to it. If it isn't, you can disable the C5 and C6 power states in your motherboard's power management tab, the only downside is more power consumption while on sleep mode.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Energycore said:

I don't think there's onboard graphics on the 8350, which is why I suggested another GPU.

But if I'm wrong, that works! Otherwise you might be able to pick a barely capable GPU for like a dollar at a thrift shop / used parts store. (make sure they test it)

well the shitty mobo i have has a vga and dvi output on it, so i am going to test. 

Just now, Jeffro said:

well the shitty mobo i have has a vga and dvi output on it, so i am going to test. 

Trying doesn't hurt!

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, Jeffro said:

Oh, also if you can spare $50 dollars to upgrade the PSU, I'd do it. Corsair's CX power supplies are dubious. There's a new CX line with grey stickers that's much better for not cutting into your components' life expectancy, and since going from sleep mode to full operation means a very fast increase in power draw, flimsier power supplies may throw voltages out of specification, causing big instabilities and even sometimes damaging your components.

But enough doomsay, I don't think that's what it was since you can get to the windows loading screen thingy. Whenever you get a blackscreen, check your caps lock to see if it's working. If it is, that means the system is working (it's responding to your commands) and that would isolate the problem to the GPU and OS storage, more or less.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh, also if you can spare $50 dollars to upgrade the PSU, I'd do it. Corsair's CX power supplies are dubious. There's a new CX line with grey stickers that's much better for not cutting into your components' life expectancy, and since going from sleep mode to full operation means a very fast increase in power draw, flimsier power supplies may throw voltages out of specification, causing big instabilities and even sometimes damaging your components.

But enough doomsay, I don't think that's what it was since you can get to the windows loading screen thingy. Whenever you get a blackscreen, check your caps lock to see if it's working. If it is, that means the system is working (it's responding to your commands) and that would isolate the problem to the GPU and OS storage, more or less.

Okay, it has onboard graphics, but it still does not work with the cpu at stock speed or onboard graphcs

1 minute ago, Jeffro said:

Okay, it has onboard graphics, but it still does not work with the cpu at stock speed or onboard graphcs

How did you know it does have onboard graphics if it didn't give a signal?

Did it show you the post screen (the one with the gigabyte logo) but then go black?

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

How did you know it does have onboard graphics if it didn't give a signal?

Did it show you the post screen (the one with the gigabyte logo) but then go black?

It does the exact same thing as with my 280x. It shows the screen with all the bios info on it and then gets to the windows logo and then black screen

Just now, Jeffro said:

It does the exact same thing as with my 280x. It shows the screen with all the bios info on it and then gets to the windows logo and then black screen

Cool, sounds like a problem with the OS files at that point. Let's try running with a single stick of RAM if you're on two, try both of them out on their own and both slots since a slot might be a problem (although you wouldn't POST with a faulty stick connected, I'd still try it).

And after that, download a bootable environment (like Windows install files) and see if you can boot into that. No need to reinstall Windows just yet.

This is where we have to get crafty. Look for a bootable app that allows you to check windows file integrity for problems and fix them. Note that drive or RAID array your Windows is stored in. Unfortunately I've been asleep too long so I couldn't keep helping tonight but we can resume shooting the trouble down tomorrow if you like, and please try out all the stuff :)

Until then, I'll do me and sleep.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler