Help! New build but windows wont install?!?

Kaotic_Nick
Go to solution Solved by sjoerd108,
1 minute ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

That was removed O_O Do i just put it back? or something else? 

Ok here is what you got to do:

Locate the row of 4 pins labled 14 in this picture (make sure you got 14 and not 17 they might look like one big connector but they are not):

manual1.PNG

Then place a jumper on these two pins I marked red in this picture:

manual2.PNG

Then everything should be OK.

Hey I'm fairly new to building computers and such but I know the basics but this is my first build. I made a post a few days ago about how I've been have troubles booting up my new computer but I got that fixed and it's "running" now... But, now it won't install windows >.< it's like one problem after another. Here's what I know, I know that my mother board is windows 10 ready, I know that my hard drive and optical drives are plugged in and running, I also understand how the bios I have works. Believe it's UEFI unitilty if that helps.

This is what I have tried: I tried to boot windows with the disc (I also confirmed that my mother board is windows 10 ready on their main website.) I've tried to put windows 10 on a flash drive which didn't work either, then I tried to go one version lower to windows 8.1 thinking we'll maybe I need to get it's original version first, get it up and running then update the drivers and then upgrade to windows 10... didn't work. 

If you have any suggestions I could do it would be greatly appreciated. I'll also link my build specs below if that helps to.

https://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

check the bios (press delete while starting up) to see if all of the drives are plugged in, if they are not then check the sata cables 

*your motherboard does not have to be win 10 ready, that's just to put on the box

• CPU
    i7-6850k
  • Motherboard
    MSI X99A Sli Plus
  • RAM
    32GB Crucial Ballistix LP      DDR4-2400
  • GPU                                            MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8Gb
  • Case
    Thermaltake Level 20 MT ARGB
  • Storage
    Samsung 250GB 850 pro,        WD Black 1TB, WD blue 3TB
  • PSU
    Thermaltake Toughpower 1200w
  • Display(s)
    Asus vg248qe, Asus vg245h
  • Cooling
    Swiftech H220-x
  • Keyboard
    Logitech g910
  • Mouse
    Logitech g502
  • Sound
    Áudio Technica ATH-M50x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Pro
  • PCPartPicker URL

9 minutes ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

Hey I'm fairly new to building computers and such but I know the basics but this is my first build. I made a post a few days ago about how I've been have troubles booting up my new computer but I got that fixed and it's "running" now... But, now it won't install windows >.< it's like one problem after another. Here's what I know, I know that my mother board is windows 10 ready, I know that my hard drive and optical drives are plugged in and running, I also understand how the bios I have works. Believe it's UEFI unitilty if that helps.

This is what I have tried: I tried to boot windows with the disc (I also confirmed that my mother board is windows 10 ready on their main website.) I've tried to put windows 10 on a flash drive which didn't work either, then I tried to go one version lower to windows 8.1 thinking we'll maybe I need to get it's original version first, get it up and running then update the drivers and then upgrade to windows 10... didn't work. 

If you have any suggestions I could do it would be greatly appreciated. I'll also link my build specs below if that helps to.

Have you checked your boot priority? If the computer is trying to boot off the ahrd drive and there's nothing there it's not that strange. to cehck this go into the bios and you should find something about boot order, make sure the medium that contains the OS is on the top. In your case you should put the optical drive or the USB on the top of that order, or you can just select what medium you want to boot from on certain MB.

1 hour ago, Monkeypeas said:

so what exactly is it doing when you're trying to install?

It loads up the American Megatrends screen and at the bottom it says fatal error or system error =/

1 hour ago, Tyleredbowers said:

check the bios (press delete while starting up) to see if all of the drives are plugged in, if they are not then check the sata cables 

*your motherboard does not have to be win 10 ready, that's just to put on the box

I checked the cables they all show up in the bios =/

1 hour ago, Sack said:

Have you checked your boot priority? If the computer is trying to boot off the ahrd drive and there's nothing there it's not that strange. to cehck this go into the bios and you should find something about boot order, make sure the medium that contains the OS is on the top. In your case you should put the optical drive or the USB on the top of that order, or you can just select what medium you want to boot from on certain MB.

I did that =/ it still would restart, load the american megatrends screen and leaves me with an error. So i always have to reset my cmos to be able to get back to the bios screen.

Please ensure you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Thread moved to Troubleshooting.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Please ensure you are posting in the proper sub-forum at all times.

Thread moved to Troubleshooting.

Oh, sorry! I'm a new to this =/ Didn't mean to cause any problems

2 hours ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

Can you get into the boot menu for example by mashing F9 or F12?(depends on your mobo wich key it is)

Just now, sjoerd108 said:

Can you get into the boot menu for example by mashing F9 or F12?(depends on your mobo wich key it is)

No I have to wait till the american megatrend screen loads and then press F1 but in the loading of the asus screen it does tell me to press delete or F2 i believe to get into bios but when I do that it does nothing =/

No I have to wait till the american megatrend screen loads and then press F1 but in the loading of the asus screen it does tell me to press delete or F2 i believe to get into bios but when I do that it does nothing =/

That sounds weird can you tell wich mobo you have the partpicker link does not work

1 minute ago, sjoerd108 said:

That sounds weird can you tell wich mobo you have the partpicker link does not work

It's an Asus b85m-g r2.0

Okay I have a few questions.

What is your current boot order?

What did you use to make the windows instalation media?

Is Fastboot enabled? If so you might want to try disabeling it.

5 minutes ago, sjoerd108 said:

Okay I have a few questions.

What is your current boot order?

What did you use to make the windows instalation media?

Is Fastboot enabled? If so you might want to try disabeling it.

i used to have it set up as the optical drive then the hard drive and then the UEFI. But now I have it was the usb, hard drive, and the uefi

To create the media I used Microsofts Media creation tool. Fast boot is enabled, 

What happens if you disconnect the HDD an then try to load the setup from disc without fastboot enabled?

Also When it says "Fatal system error" is that after the post screen went away? If it says that on the post screen then it might be a hardware issue instead of something wrong with your settings.

13 minutes ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

i used to have it set up as the optical drive then the hard drive and then the UEFI. To create the media I used Microsofts Media creation tool. Fast boot is enabled

8 minutes ago, sjoerd108 said:

What happens if you disconnect the HDD an then try to load the setup from disc without fastboot enabled?

Also When it says "Fatal system error" is that after the post screen went away? If it says that on the post screen then it might be a hardware issue instead of something wrong with your settings.

Yeah for the fatal system error. I'll try doing that with the HDD and etc. Also for the fatal error it says system halted if that means anything

Ok I have it as the driver and then the UEFI. Correct Also do I disable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module)? Is says if i disable it "the CSM to fully support the windows security update and secruity boot"

2 minutes ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

Ok I have it as the driver and then the UEFI. Correct Also do I disable the CSM (Compatibility Support Module)? Is says if i disable it "the CSM to fully support the windows security update and secruity boot"

Im sorry but what do you mean by I have it as the driver? Do you mean the HDD is on top of the boot priority? You don't need to disable CSM only fastboot and you need to set the Optical drive on top not the HDD.

Btw UEFI is not something you can boot from it is a differend way to boot a OS UEFI is a more modern standard.

Linus covers it here:

7 minutes ago, sjoerd108 said:

Im sorry but what do you mean by I have it as the driver? Do you mean the HDD is on top of the boot priority? You don't need to disable CSM only fastboot and you need to set the Optical drive on top not the HDD.

Btw UEFI is not something you can boot from it is a differend way to boot a OS UEFI is a more modern standard.

Linus covers it here:

Sorry for the confusion! When I say "driver" I'm referring to the optical drive and then HDD I just say hard drive. For my boot priority i have it as the optical drive and then this thing called UEFI but it has the same icon as my optical drive. I'm guessing it noticed that I inserted the windows disc so that's what I think it is.  

Sorry for the confusion! When I say "driver" I'm referring to the optical drive and then HDD I just say hard drive. For my boot priority i have it as the optical drive and then this thing called UEFI but it has the same icon as my optical drive. I'm guessing it noticed that I inserted the windows disc so that's what I think it is.  

Okay so if booting from the disc doesn't work like it is now, try the UEFI option(You are still booting from that disc but then with the modern UEFI mode wich might work in your case.) If that doesn't work look for a setting in your BIOS that says "Boot mode:" within that setting you should be able choose between Legacy, UEFI try setting it to legacy.

1 minute ago, sjoerd108 said:

Okay so if booting from the disc doesn't work like it is now, try the UEFI option(You are still booting from that disc but then with the modern UEFI mode wich might work in your case.) If that doesn't work look for a setting in your BIOS that says "Boot mode:" within that setting you should be able choose between Legacy, UEFI try setting it to legacy.

I tried that with the UEFI, it didn't work =/ and I don't see a "Boot Mode" choice in my bios =/

6 minutes ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

I tried that with the UEFI, it didn't work =/ and I don't see a "Boot Mode" choice in my bios =/

I've been getting this everytime I save my bios and restart or when I tell it to boot onto something 

IMAG0359_1.jpg

25 minutes ago, Kaotic_Nick said:

I've been getting this everytime I save my bios and restart or when I tell it to boot onto something 

IMAG0359_1.jpg

Look what I found in the manual:

1-20

Chapter 1: Product introduction

Chassis intrusion connector (4-1 pin CHASSIS)

This connector is for a chassis-mounted intrusion detection sensor or switch. Connect

one end of the chassis intrusion sensor or switch cable to this connector. The chassis

intrusion sensor or switch sends a high-level signal to this connector when a chassis

component is removed or replaced. The signal is then generated as a chassis intrusion

event.

By default, the pin labeled “Chassis Signal” and “Ground” are shorted with a jumper

cap. Remove the jumper caps only when you intend to use the chassis intrusion

detection feature.

B85M-G R2.0

B85M-G R2.0 Chassis intrusion connector

You need to place the Chassis intrusion jumper back and you sould be good to go.

Link to the manual: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/B85M-G_R2.0/E9176_B85M-G_R2.pdf