Frame skips in one game, using onboard graphics

Hello, recently my dedicated GPU died a honourable battle, but since then I have been using my onboard graphics(ati radeon 3000 hd) until I save up the cash to buy a new one, which will take me a while.

OK so, I am playing some games that are being able to support from the onboard gpu, mostly Dota 2, which works well at 720p on lowest settings, so there are no problems there. The problem is with another game called Dungeon Siege 2. The frames of this game skips a lot, and I mean a lot. The screen just freezes for a second at most and skips to the next frame in consideration. I have no idea on how to solve this problem. I tried to work on the lowest settings, and at the lowest resolution as well(800x640), but it will still skip frames.

The funny thing is that if my character stands still and there isn't much movement, there are no skips at all. It gives a steady 30 fps even at 1080p. But when I start walking or move the camera angle, or get into a fight, the skipping begins as usual. Anyone have any idea on what I can do to solve this problem? And its only this game that shows any problems, some of the other games don't show frame skipping, but may drop fps if I increase the graphic quality.

My rig currently has a fx 8350, Msi 720gm p21 fx, 8gb ram and currently using the onboard graphics ATI radeon 3000.

Also, I'm having uncertainties, regarding entry level GPUs, would there be any significant different in the gameplay? Because until I can get a new card, I was thinking of getting a cheap one for the time being like the Geforce GT 210 or something similar along the lines. Its available quite cheap. I tried to look for any used graphic card in my city, but most of them are out of my budget.

Edited by sumitmak

Well to start off, FX CPUs don't have integrated graphics which means your rig is already at a major disadvantage when gaming. Since it is a chipset integrated graphics it certainly won't run any GPU intensive or dependent games at all. But after looking into the game further, it seems that either the game has software issues or your chipset graphics are faulty because your specs should run it just fine.

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

24 minutes ago, another random person said:

Well to start off, FX CPUs don't have integrated graphics which means your rig is already at a major disadvantage when gaming. Since it is a chipset integrated graphics it certainly won't run any GPU intensive or dependent games at all. But after looking into the game further, it seems that either the game has software issues or your chipset graphics are faulty because your specs should run it just fine.

Don't think the chipset has any issue, as dota 2 works perfectly fine. Tested over 100 hours on this chipset. So I'm clueless at the moment. As there isn't even any particular thread about a game either that I have found yet, so I might be the only one suffering from it.

Apart from that, what do you think about me getting a cheap-o gpu for the time being until I properly save up for the high end one?

Try checking if the graphics are overheating ? The motherboard could be throttling them and that could cause a dip in performance.. As for your question on cheap dedicated graphics cards I myself tried a Gt 610 for a while and the experience was very similar to my onboard graphics so I would suggest saving up for a better card. Bear in mind that my intergrated graphics were based off an Intel platform (i3 530 and gigabyte h55m) so your mileage may vary...

1 hour ago, Ethan9750 said:

Try checking if the graphics are overheating ? The motherboard could be throttling them and that could cause a dip in performance.. As for your question on cheap dedicated graphics cards I myself tried a Gt 610 for a while and the experience was very similar to my onboard graphics so I would suggest saving up for a better card. Bear in mind that my intergrated graphics were based off an Intel platform (i3 530 and gigabyte h55m) so your mileage may vary...

I tried to check using hmonitor to see if any temps are causing an issue, but they are steady. Stays between 45 to 50 degrees. So no sure what might be causing the skips. I even tried to reinstall the game and it still has the same issues. I guess I maybe stuck with it for now. Thanks anyways.

3 minutes ago, sumitmak said:

I tried to check using hmonitor to see if any temps are causing an issue, but they are steady. Stays between 45 to 50 degrees. So no sure what might be causing the skips. I even tried to reinstall the game and it still has the same issues. I guess I maybe stuck with it for now. Thanks anyways.

How much vram does your onboard  graphics have ?? Could probably lead to frame skips if it gets maxed out temporarily ??

1 hour ago, Ethan9750 said:

How much vram does your onboard  graphics have ?? Could probably lead to frame skips if it gets maxed out temporarily ??

According to GPU-Z, memory size is 256MB. The system requirements are listed here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/902424 

And as per steam page, it says "Graphics: ATI Radeon™ series 7000 or better/Nvidia® Geforce series/Intel Extreme Graphics 82845, 82865, 82915 "