Will Core i7-920 bottleneck GTX 1080

Armand_Karlsen

My current setup (Core i7-920, Asus P6T w. triple-channel 1333MHz RAM, GTX 760) seems to run fun at 1080p, but will I bottleneck the GPU if I upgade to GTX 1080 and run at 1440p or 4k?

the i7 920 is a beast for its time but at this performance junction I think you will find the bottleneck will be significant.

My friends HIGHLY overclocked 920 bottlenecks a 980ti so yes

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I have a similar setup (LGA 1366).  My dual X5675 CPUs @4.5ghz have no problem running even the most extreme hardware (980tis, Quadros, Firepros etc...).  If you can get past 4ghz you won't see much of a bottleneck (esp. at 1440p or 4k)  A newer, higher-IPC chip would be better for games, but in my use-case I need the most performance available in a <= 12 core package, which at the moment can only be had with a dual six-core OC setup.

Ultimate XP gaming system build log coming soon!  Q8200 // 8GB DDR2 // Asus P5E Deluxe X48 // Asus 4870 DARK KNIGHT X-Fire // Supreme FX sound // BFG Ageia PhysX PCI Co-Processor // AX 860x with Silverstone extensions 

I wouldn't recommend using a 2016 GPU with a 2008 CPU. The 8 year difference makes me think it would bottleneck, but take someone else's word for it who knows about both the i7-920