did my card have reache the very rock bottom?

Go to solution Solved by DatDrunkenPanda,
1 minute ago, xMishax said:

the problem is that even with higher voltages and nice low temperatures It wont go any higher on clocks..

yup probably hit the limit, still though you got a decent overclock you beat gamers nexus on the core

good evening everyone :) was trying to squeeze some juice out of my r9 380 using MSI afterburner but run into a trouble. It runs 980/1425 stock. I OC'ed it to 1080/1425 with +20mV and +50% power limit (I have mod that changes 20% to 50%) and it ran perfectly stable for like 2-3 hours in valley with temperatures never going above 63C. However when I try to hit anything above 1080ghz valley crashes right after like 20-30 minutes. No matter how much voltage I add, it doesnt help. There seems to be no noticeable difference between 30mV and 100mV. Also temps are fine and usually stay in low-mid 60. I already upgraded MoBo and GPU bios to recent versions in case it was due to them being to old, but that didnt help either. I also disabled power efficiency toggle in crimson software. Still no use. So is it the rock bottom for my card? thats all I can squeeze out of it? or is there any other problem I might be not aware of? 

PS. I also tried clean installation of drivers, but with no luck

14 minutes ago, DatDrunkenPanda said:

seems around the limit from a quick search for that card

Where dis you read that? I saw that it can reach 1080 without any voltage tweaking and I thought it will go a lil bit higher if I add some more power. Was I mistaken? 

2 minutes ago, xMishax said:

Where dis you read that? I saw that it can reach 1080 without any voltage tweaking and I thought it will go a lil bit higher if I add some more power. Was I mistaken? 

here

google r9 380 overclock only a few who won silicon lottery can push past 1080mhz

sorry :(

21 minutes ago, DatDrunkenPanda said:

here

google r9 380 overclock only a few who won silicon lottery can push past 1080mhz

sorry :(

but at gamers nexus they dont even touch voltages.  I thought it supposed to go higher when using voltage slider or not?

but at gamers nexus they dont even touch voltages.  I thought it supposed to go higher when using voltage slider or not?

they may have and forgot to add it, but yes more voltage can help get a higher or more stable overclock but stay within manufacturers specs too much voltage could damage the card irrevocably 

1 minute ago, DatDrunkenPanda said:

they may have and forgot to add it, but yes more voltage can help get a higher or more stable overclock but stay within manufacturers specs too much voltage could damage the card irrevocably 

I know about that, but thank you :) the problem is that even with higher voltages and nice low temperatures It wont go any higher on clocks..

1 minute ago, xMishax said:

the problem is that even with higher voltages and nice low temperatures It wont go any higher on clocks..

yup probably hit the limit, still though you got a decent overclock you beat gamers nexus on the core

Spoiler
Spoiler

well I guess atleast that :D thanks for your answers :) have a nice day

Just now, xMishax said:
  Reveal hidden contents
  Reveal hidden contents

well I guess atleast that :D thanks for your answers :) have a nice day

you too sorry i couldn't be more help :)

3 hours ago, xMishax said:

good evening everyone :) was trying to squeeze some juice out of my r9 380 using MSI afterburner but run into a trouble. It runs 980/1425 stock. I OC'ed it to 1080/1425 with +20mV and +50% power limit (I have mod that changes 20% to 50%) and it ran perfectly stable for like 2-3 hours in valley with temperatures never going above 63C. However when I try to hit anything above 1080ghz valley crashes right after like 20-30 minutes. No matter how much voltage I add, it doesnt help. There seems to be no noticeable difference between 30mV and 100mV. Also temps are fine and usually stay in low-mid 60. I already upgraded MoBo and GPU bios to recent versions in case it was due to them being to old, but that didnt help either. I also disabled power efficiency toggle in crimson software. Still no use. So is it the rock bottom for my card? thats all I can squeeze out of it? or is there any other problem I might be not aware of? 

PS. I also tried clean installation of drivers, but with no luck

What is the PSU? A crap PSU can severely limit OCs

Anyhow, you lost the lottery. Most 380s get to 1150-1200

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

8 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

What is the PSU? A crap PSU can severely limit OCs

Anyhow, you lost the lottery. Most 380s get to 1150-1200

PSU is seasonic s12II 520W bronze. I thought it was pretty well rated and sufficient for my needs as my cpu is 4460 so no overclocking or anything.
Thats why I am concerned. It can go 1060 without any voltages, 1080 with +20mV and then voltage seems to have no effect at all. Could it be that voltage leak is so strong that it just cant hold the clocks past 1080?

PSU is seasonic s12II 520W bronze. I thought it was pretty well rated and sufficient for my needs as my cpu is 4460 so no overclocking or anything.
Thats why I am concerned. It can go 1060 without any voltages, 1080 with +20mV and then voltage seems to have no effect at all. Could it be that voltage leak is so strong that it just cant hold the clocks past 1080?

PSU is good. You lost the lottery :/

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

2 minutes ago, don_svetlio said:

PSU is good. You lost the lottery :/

Oh well :D bad luck I guess, atleast its not something serious :D thanks for your reply