6600k Overclocking help

I just built my new rig, and Im trying overclocking for the first time and I want to make sure I do it right without

frying any of my new parts. 

I currently have:

Gigabyte z170x gaming 3

8gb ddr4

cryorig h5 universal cooler

Iv read various threads of people getting to 4.6ghz on average which would be great for me, but I want to get as close to that

as possible without damaging my cpu. I tried using the intel extreme tuning software and put a 4.4 ghz oc it and the temps were fine, but

my pc powered off 15 minutes into prime95 even though the temps were mid 40s. Now I just tried adjusting the multiplier in the bios 

to 4.1 ghz and I am going to run prime95 for about 20 minutes and see what I get. What I don't really understand is adjusting the voltage.

Did my 4.4 oc power off because I need to up the voltage? What and how to I increase my voltage? Also whats a safe temp for load that I should aim for? 

Thank you for any help

37 minutes ago, OneSaltyDog said:

I just built my new rig, and Im trying overclocking for the first time and I want to make sure I do it right without

frying any of my new parts. 

I currently have:

Gigabyte z170x gaming 3

8gb ddr4

cryorig h5 universal cooler

Iv read various threads of people getting to 4.6ghz on average which would be great for me, but I want to get as close to that

as possible without damaging my cpu. I tried using the intel extreme tuning software and put a 4.4 ghz oc it and the temps were fine, but

my pc powered off 15 minutes into prime95 even though the temps were mid 40s. Now I just tried adjusting the multiplier in the bios 

to 4.1 ghz and I am going to run prime95 for about 20 minutes and see what I get. What I don't really understand is adjusting the voltage.

Did my 4.4 oc power off because I need to up the voltage? What and how to I increase my voltage? Also whats a safe temp for load that I should aim for? 

Thank you for any help

Did you change the voltage at all? For the voltage just start at 1.2 and if that isn't enough to keep it stable you could go up to 1.3. Don't go higher than 1.3. Another thing, you should just overclock from the BIOS, it's the best way.

@OneSaltyDog Here's how you do it:

1. Put your core and cache multipliers at 39. For now, we'll run at stock speeds and worry about the actual OC later, we have other stuff to do first.
  2. Next, change your voltage from Auto to Manual. Put it at 1.2v.
  3. Run Prime95 small FTT for around 20min. Check that the voltage being applied is actually 1.2 (otherwise you might have to change LLC) and that your temps are sub 83. And look at the right temperatures: you should NOT see something as low as 40C, unless you live in Russia or something...
  4. If your temps are good, increase the voltage by a notch and repeat step 3. Keep doing it until you reach the 81~83 range. That's your max voltage. For the record, mine is 1.296v, as I don't exactly have the best cooling solution ever. Nor great ambient temps...
  5. Once you find out the max voltage your cooler can handle (my guess: around the 1.3 range), it's time to fiddle with the multiplier. Up it by one and do a 30min test. If it passes, passes, repeat, until you find your "max". Mine is 43 (4300mhz), nowhere NEAR the 4.6ghz you are trying to achieve. Good luck on the lotery.
  6. Repeat 5, but for cache. I was unlucky, and while I can do 4300mhz on the core, my cache can't get that high. I'm stuck at 4200mhz. I wish you the best....
  7. Proceed to OC the RAM, if you so wish. Or, try giving little bumps to the BCLK, to try and squeeze some extra performance.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

37 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

@OneSaltyDog Here's how you do it:

1. Put your core and cache multipliers at 39. For now, we'll run at stock speeds and worry about the actual OC later, we have other stuff to do first.
  2. Next, change your voltage from Auto to Manual. Put it at 1.2v.
  3. Run Prime95 small FTT for around 20min. Check that the voltage being applied is actually 1.2 (otherwise you might have to change LLC) and that your temps are sub 83. And look at the right temperatures: you should NOT see something as low as 40C, unless you live in Russia or something...
  4. If your temps are good, increase the voltage by a notch and repeat step 3. Keep doing it until you reach the 81~83 range. That's your max voltage. For the record, mine is 1.296v, as I don't exactly have the best cooling solution ever. Nor great ambient temps...
  5. Once you find out the max voltage your cooler can handle (my guess: around the 1.3 range), it's time to fiddle with the multiplier. Up it by one and do a 30min test. If it passes, passes, repeat, until you find your "max". Mine is 43 (4300mhz), nowhere NEAR the 4.6ghz you are trying to achieve. Good luck on the lotery.
  6. Repeat 5, but for cache. I was unlucky, and while I can do 4300mhz on the core, my cache can't get that high. I'm stuck at 4200mhz. I wish you the best....
  7. Proceed to OC the RAM, if you so wish. Or, try giving little bumps to the BCLK, to try and squeeze some extra performance.

Untitled.png

Just now, OneSaltyDog said:

Untitled.png

Is this a good overclock? 30 minutes into intel stress test and I hover around 45c. I have the vcore at 1.325 but it only uses around 1.275 on average.

Also how long should I stress test it to ensure stablility?

1 minute ago, OneSaltyDog said:

Is this a good overclock? 30 minutes into intel stress test and I hover around 45c. I have the vcore at 1.325 but it only uses around 1.275 on average.

Also how long should I stress test it to ensure stablility?

If you want to potato test using Intel XTU rather than a truly stressful app like Prime95... I suppose anything is a "good overclock".

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

2 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

If you want to potato test using Intel XTU rather than a truly stressful app like Prime95... I suppose anything is a "good overclock".

Im going to test prime95 small fft , how long should i run it for and what temps are adequate?

3 minutes ago, OneSaltyDog said:

how long should i run it for and what temps are adequate?

Did you even bother reading my post? Because if you actually did, you'd know the answer for both of these questions already...