Seagate or WD?

Zhanlun Liang

Seagate Baraccuda and Western Digital Caviar Blue/Black...which should I get??? Any different?

Thanks ! ! !

Ya. My English isn't very good. I'm not really good in talking English but I'm learning...You making fun with my English, so WHAT??? You get what?? You can just correct the people and this is better than laugh at the people...

Spend the couple extra bucks and go for wd. They seem a little more reliable than seagate. 

3 minutes ago, htoby said:

Spend the couple extra bucks and go for wd. They seem a little more reliable than seagate. 

Black or Blue is better? Base on price and performance...

Thanks ! ! !

Ya. My English isn't very good. I'm not really good in talking English but I'm learning...You making fun with my English, so WHAT??? You get what?? You can just correct the people and this is better than laugh at the people...

It doesn't matter unless you want a 3TB model. None is more reliable than the other for all other models. Don't let biased opinions fool you.

Just go for whichever fits your budget and offers you a good warranty service. The Barracuda costs as much as the WD Blue, it is on par with the WD Black speed-wise and is quieter. Some stores offer it with a 3 year warranty, which is another plus over the WD Blue. What makes the WD Black more expensive is the 5 year warranty. It's not a more solid drive or anything like that.

If they cost the same, the small difference in speed is not a factor and warranty is the same, it doesn't matter which drive you go for.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Blue is long term storage, black si apparently faster

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

18 minutes ago, Zhanlun Liang said:

Seagate Baraccuda and Western Digital Caviar Blue/Black...which should I get??? Any different?

Thanks ! ! !

Western Digital

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

Blue if you would like to save some money and black if you don't mind and want faster read/write speeds. WD drives seem more popular among builders and it really comes down to what you want to do. I may be biased but IDK. 

In saying that, I have heard about more dead seagate drives than WD but just do some research into what other people from other forums say. :) 

It doesn't matter.

All 3 HDD manufactures are fine (Seagate, Toshiba and WD)

They are all a piece of spinning rust!

So it doesnt matter a whole lot.

Just grab a WD blue.

I'm going to say WD the people above has already answered the difference.I had better warranty experience with WD. 

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

44 minutes ago, siberiansteel11 said:

I'm going to say WD the people above has already answered the difference.I had better warranty experience with WD. 

Well yeah warrenty might be a thing.

But honnestly would you send back a failled drive to WD with all your data still on it?

I personaly wouldnt do that tbh, to me hdd´s are just trow away devices.

You can have good luck or bad luck with them.

If a drive fails on me, i'm simply going to replace it, and not even bother with warrenty or rma´s.

Mechanical hard drives are relatively cheap nowdays, because they are on their way out in the desktop market.

16 hours ago, Sintezza said:

Well yeah warrenty might be a thing.

But honnestly would you send back a failled drive to WD with all your data still on it?

I personaly wouldnt do that tbh, to me hdd´s are just trow away devices.

You can have good luck or bad luck with them.

If a drive fails on me, i'm simply going to replace it, and not even bother with warrenty or rma´s.

Mechanical hard drives are relatively cheap nowdays, because they are on their way out in the desktop market.

I do see you're point however in where I live Hard drives and SSD's aren't cheap at all. when my WD black died I sent it for RMA and after a week they gave me a brand new one. sure my files were gone however at least I didn't pay another 100 dollars for it. yes WD Blacks in my local shop in the city cost around 100 dollars.

CPU: I5 7400 | Motherboard: MSI H110M  | RAM: 16GB G-Skill 2400mhz  | GPU:  NVIDIA  MSI Gaming 4G GTX 970 | Case: Tecware Quad | Cooling: Stock| Storage: Kingston 120gb SSD, 1TB Drive ,  | PSU: Seasonic 620 Watt 80+ Bronze Full Modular | Display: Devant 50 Inch Smart TV   | 

I've had 3 WD drives and one Seagate drive. One of the WD ones has died, however it was very old (60GB). I'd say that a Barracuda is probably better than a WD blue, however a WD black is the best HDD (not SSHD) on the market. Correct me if I'm wrong, however Seagate has been bought by different companies numerous times, however WD has always remained independent (i think). There's orobably not much difference though, whichever one you choose.

If I've said something wrong, please correct me

My Builds:

Peripherals: 
Keyboard: Roccat TKL Pro Cherry MX blue, Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD, Headset: Currently apple earbuds, planning to upgrade to hyperx cloud or hyperx cloud 2 
Really Old Desktop 
 Processor: Intel Core i7 920, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-FX58-DS4, RAM: 9GB Corsair XM3 (3*3GB in triple channel) 600 or 800mhz, Graphics Card: Asus 8400GS passive, Asus GT630 4GB if i can get it working, Case: Cheapo Throwout case with most of the standoffs missing, HDD: Some old 80GB hard drive, PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 550w, Monitor: 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 13 
 Laptop Which I Use For Everything: 
Processor: Intel Core i5 3337U, RAM: 8GB (2*4GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Nvidia 710m HDD/SSD: WD Black2 Dual Drive, OS: Windows 8.1 
 40 GB/s Network Tester
Processor: Some really good Intel Core i3, Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3, Ram: Corsair Value Select 4GB (2*2GB) 1600MHZ, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: Some 1U rackmount mini-itx case with no front bays, HDD: Seagate Momentus 5400, 250GB 2.5" 5400RPM, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 40Gb/s QSFP+ PCIe 3.0 8x NIC, Monitor: any ones lying around, or 32" Kogan TV, OS: CentOS 6.2 (I Think)
Planned 100Gb/s Newtork Tester
Processor: Intel Core i7 4790k, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Impact, Ram: Kingston or G.Skill 8GB 2400MHZ Low Profile, Graphics Card: Integrated, Case: 1U Rackmount ITX case, HDD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB, PSU: Enchance 250W 80+ Bronze 1U power supply, CPU cooler: Cooljag double ball bearing 1U cooler (70DB! 70DB!), NIC: Mellanox 100Gb/s PCIe 3.0 16x NIC, Monitor: Any lying around or 32" Kogan TV, OS: Fedora 22 or CentOS

HDDs are a YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) component. Some people claim to have the best success with WD, some say Seagate. Some will even tell you Toshiba works the best out of all of them. I've been very fortunate with my HDDs, and I have used all three brands.

I have also heard people claim that "enterprise" labeled drives will have greater success and fewer breakdowns. I still think all of them will run the risk of errors and breakdowns, regardless of the type of drive.

Ultrima Z238EC: Ryzen 7 3800X @ stock, Enermax AquaFusion AIO w/ 2 be quiet! Silent Wings 3 fans, ASRock Taichi X570, Zotac Geforce GTX 1070 AMP!, 2x8GB TeamGroup Dark Pro 3200MHz, Lian Li Lancool II Case

On 21.05.2016 г. at 0:59 PM, Zhanlun Liang said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

As the guys explained, HDDs are mechanical units and despite everything else, failures to happen.

It's really important to get a drive that is designed for the purpose that you will be using it for. For example, if you plan on having a RAID1 array for redundancy in your system, you'd want drives which are designed specifically for RAID arrays. If you want a simple drive that you will be storing movies and music on, you won't need to get an 10k rpm enterprise HDD with numerous features as it will be an overkill. You won't use a tractor to go to the grocery store, you'd go there with your regular car and vice versa, right? :)

What are you going to do with the drive that you are planning on getting?

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/