Headphone/Amp recommendation for Gaming

Belps96

Hi everyone, have lurked the forums for a while but this is my first post.

Finally in the market for a set of headphones. I am currently using an old SteelSeries headset, but want to make the change to headphones. Already have a Blue Yeti to microphone is not a problem. 

Anyway, have been looking at a few headphones. First I was looking at the Audio Technica M50Xs as they are very popular, have a low impedance, have the removable cable and look really good. However, some people (e.g Logan from Tek Syndicate stated that they are very overrated). Now I am looking at the BeyerDynamic Dt990 250ohm as I can't seem to find anyone with bad things to say about them.

The reasons I considered the M50X was that they should be easy to drive, and hence not require an Amp. I'm not sure if maybe the Yeti's headphone output would be suitable as an amp, as it definitely goes louder than my PC's headphone outputs. As for amps, I found the Creative Sound Blaster E1 http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e1 which is $AUD 70, and is the cheapest amp I have been able to find. Will these be suitable? The product page states that it can drive 600ohm headphones. I know that it's meant to be a portable amp, but if it does the job...

My ideal budget is AUD$ 200-250, but I could probably stretch that too AUD$ 300 if necessary. I would also most likely buy them from https://www.storedj.com.au/ 

The m50X's are AUD$ 200 and the 990's are AUD$ 259.

I'm no audiophile, so keep that in mind. The headphones would also be mainly used for gaming (LoL, Racing Games, CS:GO and singleplayer games like the Witcher etc.)

Ideally, they would also be portable so that I can bring them to Uni or something if i want, but that's not 100% necessary.

My Mobo is a Z97i-Plus so it has the ALC892 sound chip.  

Thanks in advance for any recommendations/help you guys offer :) Let me know if there's any more information you need me to provide.

4 hours ago, Belps96 said:

First I was looking at the Audio Technica M50Xs as they are very popular, have a low impedance, have the removable cable and look really good. However, some people (e.g Logan from Tek Syndicate stated that they are very overrated)

Oh they are overrated, they have no soundstage at all, the highs are not that good, the comfort is also meh/bad for longer use.

Now I am looking at the BeyerDynamic Dt990 250ohm as I can't seem to find anyone with bad things to say about them.

The highs can be irritating for some people, it does not really matter what ohm version you get they should all sound the same unless BeyerDynamic has done something else to them.

The reasons I considered the M50X was that they should be easy to drive, and hence not require an Amp. I'm not sure if maybe the Yeti's headphone output would be suitable as an amp, as it definitely goes louder than my PC's headphone outputs. As for amps, I found the Creative Sound Blaster E1 http://au.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e1 which is $AUD 70, and is the cheapest amp I have been able to find. Will these be suitable? The product page states that it can drive 600ohm headphones. I know that it's meant to be a portable amp, but if it does the job...

Read this:

Lastly what kind of sound signature do you like (what do you want your headphones to have more focus on)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Oh they are overrated, they have no soundstage at all, the highs are not that good, the comfort is also meh/bad for longer use.

The highs can be irritating for some people, it does not really matter what ohm version you get they should all sound the same unless BeyerDynamic has done something else to them.

Read this:

Lastly what kind of sound signature do you like (what do you want your headphones to have more focus on)

Thanks for your input! Not sure what sound signature I like as I'm only really starting to get into audio. I guess I like bass, but not to the point where it's overpowering. 

As for the amp, I came across your post earlier today, but  I am unsure whether or not I will actually know if the headphones I get sound right or not. Then again, I could bring them around to my mates place and use his amp to see if there's a difference. Do you have any opinions on the amp I linked? 

6 minutes ago, Belps96 said:

Do you have any opinions on the amp I linked? 

Bad.

Thanks for your input! Not sure what sound signature I like as I'm only really starting to get into audio. I guess I like bass, but not to the point where it's overpowering. 

Well you could give the pinned post a look and see what you think looks interesting and maybe come back.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

I've had a think and might have to go with something like the sennheiser hd518's... It seem that I'm more than likely going to need an amp, so that'll end up being something like $400 in total if I get the beyers, an amount I'm not willing to pay

1 hour ago, Belps96 said:

I've had a think and might have to go with something like the sennheiser hd518's... It seem that I'm more than likely going to need an amp, so that'll end up being something like $400 in total if I get the beyers, an amount I'm not willing to pay

Nah not really, the DT line up is the only headphones I know of where Ohm matters a little. Just go with lower Ohm versions.

2 hours ago, Dackzy said:

Nah not really, the DT line up is the only headphones I know of where Ohm matters a little. Just go with lower Ohm versions.

Unfortunately the 32ohm ones aren't available where I am. Also, I've read that all of the beyerdynamic dt's need an amp to make them sound any good. Unless you or someone else can confirm that that's NOT the case. If someone can confirm, I'll look a little harder to see if I can source them from somewhere.  Cheers

1 minute ago, Belps96 said:

Unfortunately the 32ohm ones aren't available where I am. Also, I've read that all of the beyerdynamic dt's need an amp to make them sound any good. Unless you or someone else can confirm that that's NOT the case. If someone can confirm, I'll look a little harder to see if I can source them from somewhere.  Cheers

they are 80ohms also

46 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

they are 80ohms also

Once again, I've already read your post... However, you're not addressing my situation. If I go by your post and buy the 770s (which are available in 32 or 80 ohm), that will be $259, which is my budget. Then, when I get the headset and possibly discover i need an amp, I won't have money to afford the amp. 

Once again, I've already read your post... However, you're not addressing my situation. If I go by your post and buy the 770s (which are available in 32 or 80 ohm), that will be $259, which is my budget. Then, when I get the headset and possibly discover i need an amp, I won't have money to afford the amp. 

you wont need a amp for the 32 or 80 version

8 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

you wont need a amp for the 32 or 80 version

But won't they sound like crap? 

2 minutes ago, Belps96 said:

But won't they sound like crap? 

is there something wrong with your onboard?

6 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

is there something wrong with your onboard?

No, it's just what I've read. However, just did some more reading then and the general consensus from people was that people are over exaggerating the need for an amp for the 32ogm/80ohm versions haha. Thanks for your help anyway, will probably go for the 80ohm 770s.

Consider AKG K7xx as well if you're gonna use it for gaming. Extremely light and comfortable, good bass but dat soundstage

4 hours ago, xtroria said:

Consider AKG K7xx as well if you're gonna use it for gaming. Extremely light and comfortable, good bass but dat soundstage

Thanks for the recommendation, but they are further of of my price range 

• 4 weeks later...

Got the DT770 Pro 80ohms last week and I'm absolutely loving them!

• Extremely comfortable - I can wear them for hours and they don't bother me at all!
  • The positional audio is phenomenal compared to what I used to have.
  • I've never really experienced sound stage till using these - such a great experience.
  • I'm hearing things that I've never heard before, weather it be distant/quiet sounds in games, or even particular instruments in music.
  • The bass is great!

I tried using them with on board sound as well as through my Blue Yeti. It sounds a bit better through the Yeti, as listening via on board sounded a bit mushy. I am going to try them on my friends Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and see if that makes them sound any better, otherwise I'll just stick with using the Yeti. 

So overall, I am really happy with it! My only gripe with it is it doesn't have a removable cable, which is a bit unfortunate, especially for the 80ohm versions as they are made to be driven by portable devices.