Worst build vs. use case you've ever encountered?

As we all know, you could think you have the PERFECT PC, spend all the money in the world on it, but one small error along the way can completely ruin it for your use case.

So what is the worst build vs. use case mismatch you have ever encountered? I ask because I've recently found out about two mate's builds which are decent specced machines, but completely wrong for what they wanted.

1 - Bought a 2 grand gaming laptop, never moves it, runs it to a monitor and plugs in all Razer gaming peripherals. That thing gets hot (I mean physically too hot to touch) and gets a fraction of the performance of what a desktop could've got on that budget. It is gathering dust ffs!

2 - Wanted to build (and I quote) "the ultimate LAN party rig" ... bought an Obsidian 800D *ultimate facepalm*

I try not to be too judgmental of smaller thing, like buying 2400MHz RAM for a gaming PC or putting case fans on a radiator, but these two are beyond the pale, in my opinion.

So what is the worst use case failure you've ever encountered?

I'm genuinely interested to know how often this sort of thing happens, regardless of how awesome or terrible the build itself may have been. Do we think it's down to a fundamental lack of understanding of tech among 90% of people (given that most people don't ever study it properly), fanboyism over certain brands (no names mentioned  ;) ) or something else?

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

I used an matx motherboard in an NZXT Phantom 630 full tower. But that was the old days.

My mom who thinks she need a core i7v pro to send emails use outlook have shit tons of spreadsheets open a billon-1 chrome webpages

her use case need a lot of ram i mean the 16 gigs she has is always at a good work load BUT THE CPU is dying for something heavy.

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

I used an matx motherboard in an NZXT Phantom 630 full tower. But that was the old days.

Hey, at least it still isn't as bad as the raspberry pi in the 900D

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Hey, at least it still isn't as bad as the raspberry pi in the 900D

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I put a pi in the 900d. 

I'll be running for my life now.

Only recent thing I can think of is when I saw this one guy who built his own "gaming pc" with a 550TI SLI and a single 1600 Mhz 8gb RAM stick.

Also, most people have probably seen it but, this guy in his entirety.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LjqCoVbZ_g

Did he not HEAR that thing? You wouldn't keep driving a car if the bearings were squeaking that loud! 

Intel 3770K @ 4.4GHz (Summer) - 4.6GHz (Winter) / Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe / EVGA GTX 680 /w Arctic Twin Turbo II / 16GB Corsair Vengeance @ 1866MHz / Samsung 840 Pro 128GB (Steam) / OCZ Vertex 4 128GB (Boot/Office/Steam) / Seagate Barracuda 2TB x2 (RAID 1, Storage) / Asus Xonar D2X / OCZ 1250W ZX / H80i /w 2 x Gentle Typhoons / Cooler Master HAF X /w Pioneer Blu Ray, Aerocool V12XT, 4 x Cooler Master MegaFlows (Red) / Logitech Z906, G930, G19 & G700

Only recent thing I can think of is when I saw this one guy who built his own "gaming pc" with a 550TI SLI and a single 1600 Mhz 8gb RAM stick.

i wanted to cry... that poor pump and hardware...

Kill it! Put it out of its misery!

ELEPHANT SEALS EVERYWHERE!