100mbps on 1Gbp port

Shueisha

Hi guys,

I have 2 PC's both of which only get 100Mbps LAN speeds as far as I'm aware they both have Gigabit ports but can't seem to reach the speeds. I believe they are both Realtek adapters, one is on a q1900-itx board and the other on an Asus a78m-e35. I am using cat6 cables on these systems as well.

Any help would be great, thanks.

What device are they connected to? The router or switch you have might only be able to do 100Mbps

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

They are on a TPLink TD-W8960N which now after checking is 100mbps! Silly me! I am intending to install a switch and use that for the internet connection, would this allow me to achieve the full speed?

4 minutes ago, Shueisha said:

They are on a TPLink TD-W8960N which now after checking is 100mbps! Silly me! I am intending to install a switch and use that for the internet connection, would this allow me to achieve the full speed?

Yah, so long as all the links up to the modem are 1Gbps links then you'll get full speed.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

So everything switch side would be 1 gbps then. Fantastic thanks!!!!

1 minute ago, Shueisha said:

So everything switch side would be 1 gbps then. Fantastic thanks!!!!

Perfect, then you'll get the full speed :)

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

This issue isn't a problem with your network hardware or computers, the actual usable data throughput of a 1Gbps port is around 100Mb/s not 1000Mb/s.

If you feeling like a quick read, feel free to check out this cool in depth article.

From what I'm aware even if you upgrade your switch or router, it won't give you speeds any higher than around 120Mb/s max. (Using a single cable)

If you really need faster or more throughput you could try either link aggregation or use a 10Gbs network.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

The thing is streaming from my home server, I'll need a switch to link it all upstairs anyway. My streaming over wifi works just buffers a few times during playback. I figure the wireless is at fault here.

If your still running network gear limited to 100Mb/s when your computers are using Cat6 with Gigabit ports, then you should still see some improvements either way.

Just don't expect it to be 10 times faster xD

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

Hehe, no I'm not expecting 10 times faster, just with the including of a switch and removing wireless from the equation, a nice boost would be fantastic!