CPU Cooler

IntoDarkness

Hello, 

I've started a new build that uses an I7 6700k and an Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, my question is what would be the best Cpu fan for this setup?

"Well sing with me a hymn 
For the light that has dimmed 
For the heart that no longer beats 
And even until death when nothing else is left and the pain has finally ceased 
And the sun will never shine on this cold dead heart of mine" 

You can't kill something that doesn't care if it lives.

My PC: 

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz, CPU Cooler:be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-3000, Storage:Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,
Video Card: EVGA ACX SSC 970 (1080 soon), Case:Fractal Design Define R5, Power Supply:EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold, Operating System:Windows 10 Home, Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse:Logitech G502

3 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

Hello, 

I've started a new build that uses an I7 6700k and an Asus MAXIMUS VIII RANGER ATX LGA1151 Motherboard, my question is what would be the best Cpu fan for this setup?

depends on your budget for one -- and case clearance

4 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

Hello, 

As in you've already build the PC, or you're going to build the PC? because you could just a get 5820K for around the same price

Also what case?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

depends on your budget for one

For a fan, under $100USD.

My PC: 

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz, CPU Cooler:be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO, Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4-3000, Storage:Sandisk Ultra II 960GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,
Video Card: EVGA ACX SSC 970 (1080 soon), Case:Fractal Design Define R5, Power Supply:EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G2 1000W 80+ Gold, Operating System:Windows 10 Home, Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB, Mouse:Logitech G502

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

As in you've already build the PC, or you're going to build the PC? because you could just a get 5820K for around the same price

Also what case?

This is my build in progress and it's a Fractal Define R5.

My PC: 

1 minute ago, IntoDarkness said:

For a fan, under $100USD.

You'd be looking at the Noctua NH-D15, beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

This is my build in progress and it's a Fractal Define R5.

So you haven't bought the parts yet?

Probably something noctua for around 100 bucks, or an HR-22 if you're feeling insane

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So you haven't bought the parts yet?

Probably something noctua for around 100 bucks, or an HR-22 if you're feeling insane

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YNZYP6 This shows which parts I have.

My PC: 

5 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/YNZYP6 This shows which parts I have.

Well why the K part? As the i7 6700 turbos to 4ghz, and is going to give you pretty comparable performance for much less

and you don't need RAM that fast at all, and there's probably a good reason that 2TB hitachi drive is 50 bucks, it's most likely a used data center drive

as for that GPU, do you already have a 4k or 1440p 144hz display? because if not there's no reason to buy any high end GPU, and you should wait for the 3rd party cards anyways, they'll be cheaper with better coolers

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kQx3cf
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kQx3cf/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($297.30 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($61.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($57.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($228.85 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($72.33 @ OutletPC)
Total: $718.35
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-17 22:31 EDT-0400

Spoiler

Well why the K part? As the i7 6700 turbos to 4ghz, and is going to give you pretty comparable performance for much less

and you don't need RAM that fast at all, and there's probably a good reason that 2TB hitachi drive is 50 bucks, it's most likely a used data center drive

as for that GPU, do you already have a 4k or 1440p 144hz display? because if not there's no reason to buy any high end GPU, and you should wait for the 3rd party cards anyways, they'll be cheaper with better coolers

I don't overclock any of my parts, the RAM is for future proofing, the drive is one that Paul's Hardware recommended and I am going to wait for EVGA's ACX SSC version of the 1080. 

My PC: 

6 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

I don't overclock any of my parts, the RAM is for future proofing, the drive is one that Paul's Hardware recommended and I am going to wait for EVGA's ACX SSC version of the 1080. 

Why are you buying overclocking parts if you aren't going to overclock? buy the i7 6700 with an H170 board or something then if you want the extra PCI-e

how is the RAM future proof at all? and future proofing isn't very real, you're going to get effectively no performance difference from 2133mhz RAM in 99% of workloads

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Why are you buying overclocking parts if you aren't going to overclock? buy the i7 6700 with an H170 board or something then if you want the extra PCI-e

how is the RAM future proof at all? and future proofing isn't very real, you're going to get effectively no performance difference from 2133mhz RAM in 99% of workloads

I should have phrased my reply better, I do plan on overclocking with these parts, just haven't with my current set up.

My PC: 

I should have phrased my reply better, I do plan on overclocking with these parts, just not in my current set up.

So then why not get a 5820K instead? that makes more sense to OC because it only turbos to 3.6ghz, a 6700K really probably isn't going to end up much faster than a 6700 when it's all said and done probably sitting at 4.5ghz

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

So then why not get a 5820K instead?

I'll probably end up getting it just can't find it on pcpartpicker.

My PC: 

4 minutes ago, IntoDarkness said:

I'll probably end up getting it just can't find it on pcpartpicker.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XJFrJx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XJFrJx/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme4/3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($219.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($57.88 @ OutletPC)

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XJFrJx

Thanks! :D

My PC: 

Thanks! :D

Also check out the sabertooth X99 board, though it's a bit pricey

Spoiler

On 5/18/2016 at 8:23 PM, HKZeroFive said:

You'd be looking at the Noctua NH-D15, beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 or the Cryorig R1 Ultimate.

Not the  R1. The Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140 POWER is quieter and performs the same as the R1U for the price of the H5.