SteamVR Question: Does it change settings accordingly to performance?

Go to solution Solved by Rofl47,

Alrighty. After doing another test with some overclocks from a friendly LinusTechTips Forum Guy, I got a slight bit of different results.

The Frames below 90 dropped from 85% to a staggering 38% 

The average is around the high area.

However, despite this, it still states that the PC's GPU is creating a bottleneck. I think it's safe to assume that I can get it running with the overclocks on some not so demanding games/applications for the vive. Then again, I'll pass until Pascal launches, and I build my pc using the 1080 and Skylake. Thanks all for helping.

Hi there! I just did a benchmark using Valve's tool to test VR on pcs, mine being a Alienware Steam Machine with the windows 10 os on it instead of steamos... And what I found was intreguing. So, my pc according to the 'post test results' say the GPU (Alienware Steam machines are equivalent to that of a 860m, which is equivalent to that of a 750ti) is not capable. But instead, I found that it ran 60fps whilst the test was doing it's thing, so this begs the question: Does the test scale performance based on the hardware, or is it just the post test being stupid and not recognizing the steam machine's GPU?

"After all that I've done.... You still want to give me mercy?"

"Don't sweat it, *Insert Character name here.* I'm sure that everyone's tried to kill the kid at least once."

3 minutes ago, Rofl47 said:

Hi there! I just did a benchmark using Valve's tool to test VR on pcs, mine being a Alienware Steam Machine with the windows 10 os on it instead of steamos... And what I found was intreguing. So, my pc according to the 'post test results' say the GPU (Alienware Steam machines are equivalent to that of a 860m, which is equivalent to that of a 750ti) is not capable. But instead, I found that it ran 60fps whilst the test was doing it's thing, so this begs the question: Does the test scale performance based on the hardware, or is it just the post test being stupid and not recognizing the steam machine's GPU?

i dont think it does, maybe you could change perf on the settings of the game to make it run 90fps.

4 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

i dont think it does, maybe you could change perf on the settings of the game to make it run 90fps.

Where do i find said settings though? Or do I have to use the launch options to do so?

EDIT: I also am talking about the offical SteamVR Performance test, in which you see the scenes of Aperture Labs/Robot Repair or whatever it is.

Edited by Rofl47
Forgot to mention that.

"Don't sweat it, *Insert Character name here.* I'm sure that everyone's tried to kill the kid at least once."

I haven't ran it in a little while but at the results page it will say something about the quality level. With my 980ti it maxes it out at 11. So that is what the scale goes between. If I don't overclock my gpu it will start to lower the quality down to like 10.8 to try and maintain the 90fps. So I don't know what quality you are getting but I doubt it will scale down enough to get the 750ti to be able to handle 90fps. VR is demanding enough that the 750ti shouldn't be able to handle it unless you drop it very low on quality. 

Edit: Along with that I can almost guarantee that you are maxing out the vram of the 750ti. At least at the higher quality it takes about 3.5gbs. That is probably killing you as well if it isn't able to whole it all in vram. 

11 minutes ago, Fireknives said:

I haven't ran it in a little while but at the results page it will say something about the quality level. With my 980ti it maxes it out at 11. So that is what the scale goes between. If I don't overclock my gpu it will start to lower the quality down to like 10.8 to try and maintain the 90fps. So I don't know what quality you are getting but I doubt it will scale down enough to get the 750ti to be able to handle 90fps. VR is demanding enough that the 750ti shouldn't be able to handle it unless you drop it very low on quality. 

Edit: Along with that I can almost guarantee that you are maxing out the vram of the 750ti. At least at the higher quality it takes about 3.5gbs. That is probably killing you as well if it isn't able to whole it all in vram. 

It did say running at low quality, and that 85% Of the frames were below 90. But, it still doesn't add up why it runs 60 fps, which I'm fine with. I'm just about to say 'screw it' and go and buy a HTC Vive. 

EDIT: About the VRAM, i didn't see anything regarding that in the test. But i'll do it once more to see myself.

Edited by Rofl47
Forgot to mention that.

Hmm it might mean that 85% of the time during the performance test it was below 90fps. Well there is a big difference between having 60 fps on a monitor and 90 fps on a vive. With 60fps it is VERY likely you will get motion sick while you are using it. I am not going to tell you not to get it but you will very easily notice that there are stutters during it because of the 60fps and also the high possibly that you will be hitting the limit of the 750ti vram limit. When that happens you will get a huge stutter that will be very bad for motion sickness. As for why it is running at 60fps it is probably just what the 750ti can make. If you overclock it or underclock it does it change? 

1 minute ago, Fireknives said:

Hmm it might mean that 85% of the time during the performance test it was below 90fps. Well there is a big difference between having 60 fps on a monitor and 90 fps on a vive. With 60fps it is VERY likely you will get motion sick while you are using it. I am not going to tell you not to get it but you will very easily notice that there are stutters during it because of the 60fps and also the high possibly that you will be hitting the limit of the 750ti vram limit. When that happens you will get a huge stutter that will be very bad for motion sickness. As for why it is running at 60fps it is probably just what the 750ti can make. If you overclock it or underclock it does it change? 

I'll have to install afterburner, but I'll check. Thanks for the advice on the motion sickness, though.

Alrighty. After doing another test with some overclocks from a friendly LinusTechTips Forum Guy, I got a slight bit of different results.

The Frames below 90 dropped from 85% to a staggering 38% 

The average is around the high area.

However, despite this, it still states that the PC's GPU is creating a bottleneck. I think it's safe to assume that I can get it running with the overclocks on some not so demanding games/applications for the vive. Then again, I'll pass until Pascal launches, and I build my pc using the 1080 and Skylake. Thanks all for helping.

Edited by Rofl47
Needed to state that I