GTX 970 issue

tlmills82

A friend of mine bought a brand new MSI GTX 970 4G card.  He had some issues where the driver would crash occasionally and he RMAd it to Newegg.  They told him the card was fine, but would send him a new one.

At this point, he thought it must be some other issue with his PC, but I wasn't sure.  So I put it into mine (I run a GTX 970 Strix) and I get all kinds of pixellation and I can't even see the windows desktop.

I'm wondering if the 2nd card they sent him was also bad, since I put my card back in and had no issues whatsoever.

I attached a couple of pics I snapped on my phone that show what the screen is doing.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

that card is done for

That's kind of what I figured.

2 dead cards in a row from MSI.  I'd say that's unusual.  I hope they don't charge him AGAIN to send this 2nd one back.

1 minute ago, tlmills82 said:

2 dead cards in a row from MSI.

I got 3, in a row, brand new R9 280X that were defective

6 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

2 dead cards in a row from MSI.  I'd say that's unusual.  I hope they don't charge him AGAIN to send this 2nd one back.

4 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I got 3, in a row, brand new R9 280X that were defective

this is why you get EVGA or GIGABYTE cards lol.

12 minutes ago, tlmills82 said:

At this point, he thought it must be some other issue with his PC, but I wasn't sure.  So I put it into mine (I run a GTX 970 Strix) and I get all kinds of pixellation and I can't even see the windows desktop.

If your card also have pixelation when you put it in your friend's computer it might not be the card fault. Maybe it's a problem with the PCIE slot in your motherboard? did you try  his card on your computer?

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

If your card also have pixelation when you put it in your friend's computer it might not be the card fault. Maybe it's a problem with the PCIE slot in your motherboard? did you try  his card on your computer?

He did say he tried it on his machine. Those pics are from his pc with his friend's card.

R.I.P GPU. Next time get EVGA :P

1 minute ago, Megazero said:

My card in my computer has no issues whatsoever.  His card in my computer produces the pixellation pictured above.

1 minute ago, tlmills82 said:

My card in my computer has no issues whatsoever.  His card in my computer produces the pixellation pictured above.

My bad, I misread it. Well the card is down for the count then. Just get a different one :P 

My rig: Intel Core i7 4790k | MSI Z97 PC Mate | GSKILL Ripjaws X 16GB 1866MHz | ADATA Premier SP550 480GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB  | MSI Gaming X GTX 1070 | Thermaltake Versa N21 | Corsair CX550M Semi Modular PSU | AOC G2460PF 144Hz | Logitech G502 | GSKILL Ripjaws KM780  | GAMDIAS HEPHAESTUS V2  PCPartPicker | Old Build Log | New Build Log

9 minutes ago, josephaltareb said:

GIGABYTE cards lol.

guess what xD

the issues were the GPUs not who manufacture the video card - but I don't buy MSI or ASUS video cards

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

the issues were the GPUs

I did not know that dad! 

2 minutes ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

@thekeemoThink we got a bad MSI experience here perhaps?

Newegg not MSI

Nonetheless feel free to input in the thread in my sig

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

i just had a bad power supply make a screen look like that. try a swap and see what happens.

Update, MSI RMAed the card for a second time.  Hopefully 3rd card is a charm?