Z170 Mobos

Hi, Im going to build a Skylake PC with the GTX 1080! I was wondering if you new of any good motherboards for 150-180$. Thank you

3 minutes ago, iPC said:

Hi, Im going to build a Skylake PC with the GTX 1080! I was wondering if you new of any good motherboards for 150-180$. Thank you

whats your budget? excluding the 1080 of course. 

Desktop Build Log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/486571-custom-wooden-case-with-lighting/#entry6529892

thinkpad l450, i5-5200u, 8gb ram, 1080p ips, 250gb samsung ssd, fingerprint reader, 72wh battery <3, mx master, motorola lapdock as secound screen

Please quote if you want me to respond and marking as solved is always appreciated.

Not that I did too much looking around for mobo's other than to make sure the theme worked and that it would sli, I personally opted for the MSI Gaming M5 Z170A. It might be a tad bit more expensive depending on where you get it, but if you opt for the MSI Gaming M3 Z170A, it will easily fit in the budget. The only difference is that the Gaming M3 cannot SLI.

33 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Not that I did too much looking around for mobo's other than to make sure the theme worked and that it would sli, I personally opted for the MSI Gaming M5 Z170A. It might be a tad bit more expensive depending on where you get it, but if you opt for the MSI Gaming M3 Z170A, it will easily fit in the budget. The only difference is that the Gaming M3 cannot SLI.

Id like the SLI for dual 1080s in the future

You're probably not going to be able to get anything quality in that price-range then, not without skimping out on some aesthetics. I think there might be a gigabyte board that will work, let me hunt it down real quick.

Looks like there might be more than I was anticipating. A quick search on Newegg.com revealed a slew of mobo's that will fit your budget, and they might even fit your theme. 

(Just read the reviews before buying one)

34 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Also, what do you think about the Asus ROG VIII Hero, the Asus Z170 PRO, and the Asus Sabertooth Mark 1?

1 minute ago, iPC said:

Also, what do you think about the Asus ROG VIII Hero, the Asus Z170 PRO, and the Asus Sabertooth Mark 1?

45 minutes ago, positivePXL said:

Not that I did too much looking around for mobo's other than to make sure the theme worked and that it would sli. . .

I literally only did enough to make sure it fit the theme. I recognize all of those motherboards by name, but you'll have to find another consciousness to talk to if you want to know how well they will work for you.

1 hour ago, positivePXL said:

Looks like there might be more than I was anticipating. A quick search on Newegg.com revealed a slew of mobo's that will fit your budget, and they might even fit your theme. 

(Just read the reviews before buying one)

What do you think of the Asus Z170-A? Thank you!

It has SLI support and solid overclocking headroom. From reviews, there are more bad reviews than I would like to see out of something that I would be buying, but every single legitimate one of them got a direct response from an ASUS support staff member looking to help/replace the board. 

Not my personal theme, but some people want white, meh.

If you don't mind taking the tiny risk, newegg NA has an open-box available for <$120 right now.

Gigabyte Ga-Z170X gaming 5 is what I use :)

10 hours ago, Wydz said:

Gigabyte Ga-Z170X gaming 5 is what I use :)

What is your opinion about the Asus Z170-A vs. the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming vs. the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5  in terms of overclockablity and software features like AI Suite III? Thank you!

57 minutes ago, iPC said:

What is your opinion about the Asus Z170-A vs. the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming vs. the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 5  in terms of overclockablity and software features like AI Suite III? Thank you!

I have no idea about anything Asus

15 hours ago, Nacho Marco Segui said:

Z170-A is a good option.

I second that...  It is a great board with good features for a reasonable price...

ASUS is almost never the cheapest, but they are usually well worth the extra few dollars IMHO...

2 hours ago, iPC said:

I don't know much about that Gigabyte board...  but when it comes to ASUS, they make a ton of boards with very small feature differences...

Consider that if one board gives you 100 MHz more overclock, but costs $50 more, was it "really worth it"?

I'd personally go with the Z170-A myself.  I do own a ROG Maximus VIII Hero as well, but only for comparison and review reasons, I'd never have bought it for personal use. :)  Pretty board however...

6 hours ago, Tech Deals said:

I don't know much about that Gigabyte board...  but when it comes to ASUS, they make a ton of boards with very small feature differences...

Consider that if one board gives you 100 MHz more overclock, but costs $50 more, was it "really worth it"?

I'd personally go with the Z170-A myself.  I do own a ROG Maximus VIII Hero as well, but only for comparison and review reasons, I'd never have bought it for personal use. :)  Pretty board however...

Id rather go for the VII Maximus Hero,but Im saving money for the GTX 1080 :)