Asus Z170-Deluxe or Asus Z170-Premium

Hi! :D

I need the most future proof motherboard available, and I am stuck between two models:

Asus z170-Deluxe and Asus z170-Premium.

Reason why I'm not jumping into the Deluxe: The Premium has both U.2 and Thunderbolt 3, and it also has a way better support when it comes to Ram Memory Speed.

I'd like the one best value for money, but I don't want to see myself upgrading a Motherboard for another 8-10 years AT LEAST. Future proof is the keyword I'm looking for. And it also has to have Wifi. (Therefore the specific models).

Any thoughts, experience or so ? I'm leaning towards the Premium, but is it worth it, costing a bunch more ? o.O

I would skip Asus and go with a Z170 OC Formula for a ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+

1 minute ago, Ronnie76 said:

I would skip Asus and go with a Z170 OC Formula for a ASRock Z170 Extreme 3/6/9

I have actually been looking at the ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+, as It has got very good reviews here and there thinking of performance/price.

At this point I don't know what to ask.. Have been looking at MOBO's for days.. Can't get my mind straight about it anymore :P 

2 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

I have actually been looking at the ASRock Z170 Extreme 7+, as It has got very good reviews here and there thinking of performance/price.

At this point I don't know what to ask.. Have been looking at MOBO's for days.. Can't get my mind straight about it anymore :P 

You really cant go wrong with ASRock, In my opinion, they have some of the best motherboards.

In my own experience, this Z97 Extreme 3 has met my expectations and way past it fpr a $100 board. Its handled a 5+GHz overclock 

For some of the features like U,2 and Thunderbolt you have to pay a bit extra for.

I would highly recommend the Extreme 7+

For motherboards, its extremely hard to justify price to performance 

2 minutes ago, Ronnie76 said:

You really cant go wrong with ASRock, In my opinion, they have some of the best motherboards.

In my own experience, this Z97 Extreme 3 has met my expectations and way past it fpr a $100 board. Its handled a 5+GHz overclock 

For some of the features like U,2 and Thunderbolt you have to pay a bit extra for.

I would highly recommend the Extreme 7+

For motherboards, its extremely hard to justify price to performance 

Hmm.. What you say make sense! Thanks..! :) 

2 hours ago, IslandStone said:

I need the most future proof motherboard available, and I am stuck between two models:

I don't want to see myself upgrading a Motherboard for another 8-10 years AT LEAST

"future proof" is one of those terms that never quite means what you want it to... :)

The differences between those boards in 8-10 years will likely not matter...

An ASUS Z170-A would be just fine...

2 hours ago, IslandStone said:

And it also has to have Wifi. (Therefore the specific models).

Consider that you can add your own wi-fi as needed to any board, and often get a better version with better antennas.  Nothing wrong with having it built into the board, but you might end up upgrading it in 5 years anyway. :)

3 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

"future proof" is one of those terms that never quite means what you want it to... :)

The differences between those boards in 8-10 years will likely not matter...

An ASUS Z170-A would be just fine...

Might be good enough with a Z170-A as you say, however I find it hard to admit it's "good enough" :P 
(I find myself only searching at only THE BEST stuff.... not that I need it or anything...)

6 minutes ago, Tech Deals said:

Consider that you can add your own wi-fi as needed to any board, and often get a better version with better antennas.  Nothing wrong with having it built into the board, but you might end up upgrading it in 5 years anyway. :)

Good point, i have been looking at that option as well, however I do have trouble finding a wifi-card or simply just a USB-plug with Wifi that has decent reviews for a good price.. :P 

3 minutes ago, IslandStone said:

Might be good enough with a Z170-A as you say, however I find it hard to admit it's "good enough" :P 
(I find myself only searching at only THE BEST stuff.... not that I need it or anything...)

Good point, i have been looking at that option as well, however I do have trouble finding a wifi-card or simply just a USB-plug with Wifi that has decent reviews for a good price.. :P 

I understand... :)  I used to buy high end boards but what I discovered was that I was buying fancy feature sets more than a useful board.

But that might just be me.

I recently did a comparison of the ASUS Z170-A board against the ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero board...  frankly, it LOOKS nicer, comes in a nice box, and does have a few features, but at the end of the day, you're paying a decent chunk of money for minor changes. :)