Hackentosh or Winux?

Samuroot1987

Hackontosh (Windows with mac VM) or Winux (Windows with linux)?

Please leave your suggestions in the pool and comments below.

Thanks,

Samuroot1987

Buy all the planes! Im also bad at quoting!

Linux Mint 15 =) Or you can run a hackintosh and bootcamp windows and run linux in a VM 

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

Depends on what you want to do. Linux is easier to get a hold of / cheaper.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

Windows for gaming, Mac/Linux for browsing

Linux Mint 15 =) Or you can run a hackintosh and bootcamp windows and run linux in a VM 

all that RAM...

OP- i would build a Win machine with a dual boot drive of Linux, Run a OSX VM inside Windows so you can have all 3 and switch easily

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

all that RAM...

OP- i would build a Win machine with a dual boot drive of Linux, Run a OSX VM inside Windows so you can have all 3 and switch easily

well if you have 16 gb you should be fine.

This is my Lightsaber.          {[=]////]"[¬'/\Y/#####################################
This is my other Lightsaber. (T!!!!!!!T=:"|[\#####################################  #killedmywife 

all that RAM...

So 8gb isent going to be enough i assume.

Do you need any of the mac programs? If you don't i would go with linux

no, but i like the "Cleaner" look. And i may find some.

well if you have 16 gb you should be fine.

i might do this :P

actually make use of this redundant amount <_<

@OP- it MIGHT. but running a VM might hog quite a bit. i havent personally done it but im sure a few guys on here have. 

Big Bertha3570k @ 4.5GhzASRock Fatal1ty Z777970 DCUII TOP EVGA GTX 780Swiftech H220 w/ NF-F1216GB RAM128GB Kingston HyperX 3K1TB Western Digital Black40GB Western Digital Raptor 10K PeripheralsMionix 3200 MouseCMStorm Quickfire Rapid w/ Cherry MX Blues2 x Dell U2713HM AudioAsus ROG Orion Pro HeadsetSony XB-500AKG K240Bose AE2i​Fiio E10

Samsung Galaxy S45.0" 1920x1080p Super AMOLED screen16GB Storage2600 mAh battery1.9Ghz quad-core Krait CPU2GB RAMCyanogenMod CameraNikon D310018x55mm NIKKOR VR Lens14.2 MP

So 8gb isent going to be enough i assume.

no, but i like the "Cleaner" look. And i may find some.

Ok, but personally i don't like OSX ( i have used it for almost a year and still think windows is better and im also really interested in linux)

Windows for gaming, Mac/Linux for browsing

Don't know why you would use a different OS just for browsing.

Don't know why you would use a different OS just for browsing.

yea, But  im sometimes odd like that. Game on 1 monitor, Window on the other. Now that i think about it, What about Steam OS and Mac!?

yea, But  im sometimes odd like that. Game on 1 monitor, Window on the other. Now that i think about it, What about Steam OS and Mac!?

SteamOS isn't available as of yet but according to Valve "SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information."

SteamOS isn't available as of yet but according to Valve "SteamOS will be available soon as a free download for users and as a freely licensable operating system for manufacturers. Stay tuned in the coming days for more information."

i know this. And i dont plan to build a system for a while

Hackintosh requires you to have a Mac already or know someone who does.

If you want all three OS, I would recommend three 120GB/128GB SSDs.

Install Mac OS X first. Then run bootcamp on the other SSD and install Windows.

Then in Windows you can install Linux.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

but then i cant use windows as my main OS. And im sure i can find someone that has OSX

Or find it on the fourm or on other sites. LEAGALY.

but then i cant use windows as my main OS. And im sure i can find someone that has OSX

Or find it on the fourm or on other sites. LEAGALY.

Yes you can. You can set which OS to boot into automatically.

You can only get it legally though the Mac store, which is only on a Mac. I don't think the latest OS X is on disc or USB at all. You could try buying an old disc and upgrading, but that'd cost like $25 per upgrade or something.

Why not dual boot Windows/MacOS/Linux? If you don't like the way windows looks, install a theme or install ElementaryOS.

I can pretty much VM anything on 4gig of ram on windows 8 :/

What are some good Win 8 ones?

Why not dual boot Windows/MacOS/Linux? If you don't like the way windows looks, install a theme or install ElementaryOS.

I can pretty much VM anything on 4gig of ram on windows 8 :/

I'd go windows + Linux. I tried the hackintosh thing in the past, and don't find it's worth the hassle unless you need mac-specific programs. Just my personal opinion, though.

TRI-BOOT!!!

<p>Wires Suck :angry:
!fY0|_|(4|\|R34[)7#!5PMM37#3(0[)3:1337 70833|\|73R3[)!|\|49!\/34\|/4Y 4|\|[)93741!f3

I might aswell make my car go to plad! (Spaceballs refrence FTW!)

TRI-BOOT!!!

i cant get a hackintosh work. i cant even get the osx installer to load. ive used every friggin boot loader from tonymac. and every time i install virtual box i swear it frigs up my system expecialy the network adapter. i have the retail dvd for snow lepard and it wont boot i just put a kingston ssdnow v300(yes trim works with non apple ssds for those that didnt know) in my macbook so i know my install dvd is good

Do you allready have windows installed? if so, Take out the drive with windows, Then install OSX then put in the windows drive. Vise Versa

i cant get a hackintosh work. i cant even get the osx installer to load. ive used every friggin boot loader from tonymac. and every time i install virtual box i swear it frigs up my system expecialy the network adapter. i have the retail dvd for snow lepard and it wont boot i just put a kingston ssdnow v300(yes trim works with non apple ssds for those that didnt know) in my macbook so i know my install dvd is good

I use ALL the OSes.  But not all at the same time.  I do like Windows when it decides to behave for me.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads