i7 6700 What is turbo Clock speed 4.0ghz?

Go to solution Solved by mikat,
43 minutes ago, happyleonardo14 said:

So that's happens only when the processor need that turbo boost, I can't control that?

nope, as the video explains, when your cpu is cool enough and your computer needs a little more power it turbos by itself, you can see this happening in task manager under the resources and cpu tab

It is possible to get 4.0ghz in an i7 6700 because it's supposed to be 3.4ghz.

like this video.

Im noob with pc components. That's why I'm asking.

Turbo is up to 4.0GHz but that is only on one core.  Some motherboards allow it to turbo to that speed on all cores, just make sure you have adequate cooling then. 

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

6 minutes ago, AdamIsaacLang said:

Turbo is up to 4.0GHz but that is only on one core.  Some motherboards allow it to turbo to that speed on all cores, just make sure you have adequate cooling then. 

So that's happens only when the processor need that turbo boost, I can't control that?

15 minutes ago, happyleonardo14 said:

No, not with a non-K chip.  And unless you manually set affinity in task manager for a single threaded application, it's not likely to just run on one core anyways - it will jump around to all of them very quickly, making the chip think all are being used and it will only turbo up to the 4 core speed

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

43 minutes ago, happyleonardo14 said:

nope, as the video explains, when your cpu is cool enough and your computer needs a little more power it turbos by itself, you can see this happening in task manager under the resources and cpu tab

1 hour ago, happyleonardo14 said:

The simple answer is that, no, with a locked i7-6700 you cannot control it.

An unlocked i7-6700K allows you to adjust the clock speed ratio such that you could force all cores to run at 4 GHz (or often a lot more, as in the video above) at all times, which is overclocking. But that's why Intel charges more for it.