NTLDR is Missing Fix Windows XP

Hi guys.

Recently had the problem of an old XP computer telling me that the NTLDR file was missing.

Since I couldn't find a XP installation CD I went on and put XP on a flash, didn't work so I searched a bit further and found a proper CD.

ntldr.jpg

There's multiple causes of this problem, I created the problem myself by not de-fragmenting the drive at all in a long time, when I deleted a bunch of programs the drive had the files spread out too much which caused a problem.

Process of fixing the problem

• Step 1: Put the CD in (Perhaps flash works, didn't in my case)
  • Step 2: restart the PC and press DEL or whatever button your PC asks you to press to get into the BIOS.
  • Step 3: Navigate to the BOOT Tab.
  • Step 4: Get your CD/DVD-ROM (optical drive) to boot before your HDD or anything else.
  • Step 5: When done, press F10 to save and restart the PC.
  • Step 6: If done correctly, a blue screen will appear with a loading bar, let this do it's thing and wait for the next screen to pop up.
  • Step 7: Press any key on your keyboard when asked to do so.
  • Step 8: When asked what to do press the R key on your keyboard, the R stands for Repair.
  • Step 9: When asked what step to take press the 1 key, either above the QWERTY keys or the NUM keys, on the right of your keyboard.
  • Step 10: Press Enter
  • Step 11: Enter the password of the administrator, if there isn't any just hit ENTER without filling anything in.
  • Step 12: Copy the missing files, do it by typing the following:

copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\

PRESS ENTER

copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

PRESS ENTER AGAIN

• Step 13: type EXIT and hit ENTER. 
  • Step 14: Take the CD out and press DEL again so you get into the BIOS again.
  • Step 15: Go to the BOOT tab again and put your HDD or SSD back into position 1.
  • Step 16: Press F10 and let your PC boot normally again.

That should be it.

If this still does not work either comment here or go to the Troubleshooting section.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

I didn't know someone was still using XP  :D

| CPU: i7 3770k | MOTHERBOARD: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming | GPU: GTX 770 | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Trident X | PSU: XFX PRO 1050w | STORAGE: SSD 120GB PQI +  6TB HDD | COOLER: Thermaltake: Water 2.0 | CASE: Cooler Master: HAF 912 Plus |

I didn't know someone was still using XP  :D

I am not, my sister is - my dad asked me to remove some junk off her computer but that was the finishing blow that made the HDD too fragmented. 

Will make a Windows 7 PC for her tomorrow, with some of my hardware.

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Guaranteed fix: Install Windows 7.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-6700K, ASUS Z170-A, ASUS STRIX GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512 GB Samsund 840 Pro, Seasonic X series 650W PSU, Fractal Design Define R4, 2x5TB HDD

Hypervisor 1: Intel Xeon E5-2630L, ASRock EPC612D8, 16GB DDR4 ECC RAM, Intel RT3WB080 8-port RAID controller plus expansion card, Norco RPC-4020 case, 20x2TB WD Red HDD

Other spare hypervisors: Dell Poweredge 2950, HP Proliant DL380 G5

Laptops: ThinkPads, lots of ThinkPads