Computer will not turn on

ProClifo

I have just bought PC parts and I finished building it, but it won't boot. I plugged the 24-pin PSU cable into the motherboard, 4-pin PSU cable into the motherboard, and a 8-pin PSU cable into the video card. First I tried to test boot it manually using a flat headed screwdriver, but it didn't work. Then I put it into the case and plugged in the power switch for the PC case and pressed the power button, but it didn't work either.

And yes, I did remember to turn on the power supply.

I don't know what the problem is. I have never been able to boot it. The only sign of anything actually working was the green LED on my motherboard and the green LED on my video card. But now, the lights aren't even showing anymore. I don't know why they are not showing light anymore, but they used to.

What do you think the problem is? I talked to some friends on Skype, and they said the PSU might be defective. Which component do you think is the problem? Could there even be multiple components not working? Is it possible that I have also fried my motherboard or GPU?

Here are my specs:

ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 m-ATX

ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB PhysX CUDA "DirectCU II OC"

Intel Core i5-4670 Processor Socket-LGA1150

Corsair DDR3 16GB 1600MHz Low Profile 2x8GB

Corsair CX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.3

CM Storm Scout II

I have just bought PC parts and I finished building it, but it won't boot. I plugged the 24-pin PSU cable into the motherboard, 4-pin PSU cable into the motherboard, and a 8-pin PSU cable into the video card. First I tried to test boot it manually using a flat headed screwdriver, but it didn't work. Then I put it into the case and plugged in the power switch for the PC case and pressed the power button, but it didn't work either.

And yes, I did remember to turn on the power supply.

I don't know what the problem is. I have never been able to boot it. The only sign of anything actually working was the green LED on my motherboard and the green LED on my video card. But now, the lights aren't even showing anymore. I don't know why they are not showing light anymore, but they used to.

What do you think the problem is? I talked to some friends on Skype, and they said the PSU might be defective. Which component do you think is the problem? Could there even be multiple components not working? Is it possible that I have also fried my motherboard or GPU?

Here are my specs:

ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 m-ATX

ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB PhysX CUDA "DirectCU II OC"

Intel Core i5-4670 Processor Socket-LGA1150

Corsair CX 750W PSU ATX 12V V2.3

CM Storm Scout II

Do you have any RAM?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Do you have any RAM?

Oh yeah, I have two ram chips with 16 GB (2x8GB). I will add them in the specs list as well.

what's cooling the cpu?

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/znZqcf

what's cooling the cpu?

The stock CPU cooler that came with the CPU

The stock CPU cooler that came with the CPU

ok, just wanted to make sure that you didn't forget to cool the cpu. Is it plugged in correctly? And as Linus always does in his build guides, make a knot with the cable so the cables doesn't get stuck in the fan.

Spoiler

System:

i5 3570k @ 4.4 GHz, MSI Z77A-G43, Dominator Platinum 1600MHz 16GB (2x8GB), EVGA GTX 980ti 6GB, CM HAF XM, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB + Some WD Red HDD, Corsair RM850 80+ Gold, Asus Xonar Essence STX, Windows 10 Pro 64bit

PCPP:

And as Linus always does in his build guides, make a knot with the cable so the cables doesn't get stuck in the fan.

Or maybe it doesn't happen anyway ;)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

Have you tryed booting the board without gpu?

I just tried it, and it did not work.

ok, just wanted to make sure that you didn't forget to cool the cpu. Is it plugged in correctly? And as Linus always does in his build guides, make a knot with the cable so the cables doesn't get stuck in the fan.

I am pretty sure I plugged it in correctly. Does it matter which way I plug it in? Either way, the motherboard is supposed to show a green LED even if the CPU cooler is not connected, right?

I am pretty sure I plugged it in correctly. Does it matter which way I plug it in? Either way, the motherboard is supposed to show a green LED even if the CPU cooler is not connected, right?

you can only put it in one way, I just thought if it was all the way down or in the wrong one. If it is in the wrong one the motherboard will detect that there is no cpu cooler connected and now Im guessing though but maybe not start. But make sure it's in the cpu cooler one. Check the manual to see that.

About the green led I have no idea but yeah I guess...?

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

so basically make sure it's in the cpu fan one, not pwm fan one...

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

are you sure all power cords are connected on all ends, and check if the power brick or wall socket is turned on. good luck, I hope it's not a hardware defect.

also, check if the power button is connected to the right pins.

Does anyone even use PCIe SSDs?

Yea some will have a light on it if theres current

oh ok, wasn't sure or if everything had to be connected that needs to be connected before it lights up. But when I just wrote that I realised how dumb that is... ;)

Spoiler

System:

PCPP:

its possible u fried the mobo when u were turning it on manually

check to see if the spu is working

take all power cables then get the 24 pin (whilst psu i turned off from switch) paper clip from a green wire to a black wire in the 24pin

http://www.overclock.net/t/96712/how-to-jump-start-a-power-supply-psu-test-a-power-supply-and-components

if the psu turns on its most likely some problem in the mobo/ mobo is having problem with 1 of the compents

but if it is a component the mobo will turn on and post read(the little screens on ur mobo) out tells u whats wrong or there will be series of beeps 

try re-seating EVERYTHING in the mobo inc. the cpu

Check all motherboard power connectors and ram dims? Seems to be a problem for me sometimes.

Also does the motherboard light come on when the psu is on?

Check all motherboard power connectors and ram dims? Seems to be a problem for me sometimes.

Also does the motherboard light come on when the psu is on?

The motherboard light used to come on when the PSU was on, but now it doesn't anymore. I connect all power connectors to the motherboard, plug in the PSU, turn on the PSU, but there is no light.

And I am gonna try the paper clip method right now.

The motherboard light used to come on when the PSU was on, but now it doesn't anymore. I connect all power connectors to the motherboard, plug in the PSU, turn on the PSU, but there is no light.

And I am gonna try the paper clip method right now.

Do you have another psu you can test your system with? and check the psu that is in your system right now with another pc.

take a picture of the case inside and post it here. did you pluged in the start connectors reset connectors and hdd led so far?... try to shortcut the start pins by connecting them together with a metal screw driver.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

Update: I did the paper clip method. The power supply is working! That narrows it down to the motherboard. (or CPU? Or chipset?)

Yes, I do have RAM. Both chips are plugged into the yellow dimm slots.

take a picture of the case inside and post it here. did you pluged in the start connectors reset connectors and hdd led so far?... try to shortcut the start pins by connecting them together with a metal screw driver.

I already tried that, but I can take a picture of the case anyhow.

do that.

EOC folding stats - Folding stats - My web folding page stats

Summer Glau: Quote's The future is worth fighting for. Serenity

My linux setup: CPU: I7 2600K @4.5Ghz, MM: Corsair 16GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Radeon his iceq x2 7970, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 750 plus Gold modular

My gaming setup: CPU: I7 3770K @4.7Ghz, MM: Corsair 32GB vengeance @1600Mhz, GPU: 2 Way Gigabyte RX580 8GB, MB: Asus sabertooth Z77, PSU: Corsair 860i Platinum modular

did you try pulling 1 ram stick out. and pulling video card  out of the case. then try to start

hook monitor to hdmi port on motherboard when video card is out of the system

if that does not work... pull the motherboard and test it out side the case. you could have a short on 1 of the motherboard standoffs

• 3 years later...

Sorry to bring this topic up again *3 years from the future*

I had the same issue , have you solved it?