Bad GPU maybe??

TimFragz

So recently my pc started shutting down after about 5mins of playing any game. At first I thought it was a cpu/cooler error so I purchased a new cpu/motherboard since I was planning on upgrading anyways. After installing my new cpu/mb I tried playing csgo and after about 5mins the pc shut down. I then noticed that none of the fans on the gpu are spinning. I installed msi afterburner and tried everything I could to get the fans to spin and nothing worked. Also, I ran a cinebench test and that went fine with an openGL score of 75.50 fps. I've also tried swapping power supplies which didn't help either. Is this problem being caused by my GPU? Also, let me add that the pc works perfectly fine except for when I run games and then it completely shuts down after a few mins.

Specs:

Motherboard- Asrock 970 extreme3 r2.0

CPU- AMD Fx 8320 (stock speed not OCd)

RAM- 16gb Corsair vengeance DDR3 1600mhz

PSU- Corsair cx750

GPU- Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition Vapor-X 3GB 

Most likely it's your PSU. The CX series has a super low temp limit.

Get another one and test with it. At least 600 W would be a good idea.

Just read that you DID try another PSU. I assume it wasn't a CX PSU.

In that case, try another GPU.

i7 4790k | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | G.Skill Ripjaws X 16 GB | Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB | 2x Seagate Barracuda 2TB | MSI GTX 970 Twin Frozr V | Fractal Design R4 | EVGA 650W

A gaming PC for your budget: $800 - $1000 - $1500 - $1800 - $2600 - $9001

Remember to quote people if you want them to see your reply!

1 minute ago, HPWebcamAble said:

Most likely it's your PSU. The CX series has a super low temp limit.

Get another one and test with it. At least 600 W would be a good idea.

Like I said I already tried a new power supply and still had the same issues...

Sounds like it might be the GPU overheating from the fans not spinning.  There should be a connector from the fans to the GPU board somewhere that you could check and make sure is connected.  Some GPU's also turn off the fans when the temp is low enough, but do they still not spin even when playing a game or running a benchmark?

3 minutes ago, TheMorphinator said:

Sounds like it might be the GPU overheating from the fans not spinning.  There should be a connector from the fans to the GPU board somewhere that you could check and make sure is connected.  Some GPU's also turn off the fans when the temp is low enough, but do they still not spin even when playing a game or running a benchmark?

When I noticed they weren't spinning first thing I did was check the connection. Everything seems fine. I did a bit of research and apparently on this card the fans should spin all the time. I haven't checked to see if they spin when gaming or running a benchmark yet, mainly because im tired of the pc shutting down. But I assume they don't spin anyways since apparently they run all the time lol

Start benchmarking or gaming and monitor the GPU temps and fan speeds with GPU-Z.

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

13 minutes ago, Tommex84 said:

Start benchmarking or gaming and monitor the GPU temps and fan speeds with GPU-Z.

This is what I got after a couple mins of csgo. temp and fan speed kept rising but the fans never kicked on. I assume they would keep going until it shut off, however I quit the game before allowing it to happen so I could keep the screen shot.

sc.gif

2 minutes ago, TimFragz said:

This is what I got after a couple mins of csgo. temp and fan speed kept rising but the fans never kicked on. I assume they would keep going until it shut off, however I quit the game before allowing it to happen so I could keep the screen shot.

sc.gif

Hmmm I have a similar issue with my cards, with the RPM fluctuating up and down but % speed staying the same (manufacturer of my cards, Zotac, actually admitted it's a problem).  Anyways, I think it has to be either an issue with the cable going to the fans, a driver issue, or (hopefully not) an issue with the card itself.  Maybe contact Sapphire if it's still under warranty?

4 minutes ago, TheMorphinator said:

Hmmm I have a similar issue with my cards, with the RPM fluctuating up and down but % speed staying the same (manufacturer of my cards, Zotac, actually admitted it's a problem).  Anyways, I think it has to be either an issue with the cable going to the fans, a driver issue, or (hopefully not) an issue with the card itself.  Maybe contact Sapphire if it's still under warranty?

The cable going to the fans looks fine. I even looked around at all the diff places I could see the connecting cable to check if I saw anything melted or cut or anything and all looked fine as well. As for warranty I'm not sure that would even be possible as I bought this pc from a guy on craigslist. Which is now seems like the gpu might be going bad since I got a pretty darn good deal on everything. As for the drivers I have all the latest drivers and have been keeping them updated, although the problem has happened pretty much from the beginning. 

edit: I'm tempted to go buy a new gpu, however I'm hesitant for fear of that not being the issue since i've already spent quite a bit trying to fix the problem by buying the new cpu/mobo 

what was the other psu that you used to try? coz it sounds like an overheating issue/psu issue

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Being that I am an electrician I would try disconnecting the fans from the card and connect them directly to power supply just to see if the fans are dead or there's something wrong with the controller on the card, but I WOULD NOT suggest you try that.

I would say take the card to be tested by professionals. Don't know how much they would charge you for that as I never had to deal with something like that.

MOBO: Gigabyte G1.Sniper M3 | CPU: Intel i7-3770K @ 4.5GHz | GPU: 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX770 2GB WF3 OC Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue DDR3-1600 XMP 16GB (4x4GB) | SSD: Intel 530 Series 180GB SATAIII | HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1.0TB SATA III & WD AV-GP 3.0TB SATA IIPSU: Corsair AX 760 | Case: Chieftec DX-02B | CPU cooler:  Corsair H100i with 4 Noctua NF-F12's in Push-Pull | Fans: 3x Noctua NF-S12A Front and Rear-intake, 1x Noctua NF-A14 Bottom-intake, 1x CoolerMaster MegaFlow 200 Side Panel-intake, 1xNoctua NF-F12 Top-exhaust | OS: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit | Keyboard: Logitech G510 | Mouse: Gigabyte Aivia Krypton

It was a thermaltake 650w that I have sense returned to best buy since I didn't need it.

8 minutes ago, TimFragz said:

It was a thermaltake 650w that I have sense returned to best buy since I didn't need it.

do a seperate stress test

stress cpu and ram first, see if anything happens (with aida64 or something else)

then stress the gpu (unigine heaven or something else) and monitor your temps and fan tachometer in msi afterburner as well as the physical fan itself, if it goes above 80c and the fans are still not spinning, stop the test immediately and RMA the card

if nothing happens to either test, stress test both together

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

do a seperate stress test

stress cpu and ram first, see if anything happens (with aida64 or something else)

then stress the gpu (unigine heaven or something else) and monitor your temps and fan tachometer in msi afterburner, it it goes above 80c and the fans are still not spinning, stop the test immediately and RMA the card

if nothing happens to either test, stress test both together

The cpu and mobo are both brand new so i've ruled that out to be an issue, also I did stress testing after I installed them and everything was fine. The odd part is when running cinebench openGL testing everything went fine (I didn't monitor temps though). I monitored temp while playing csgo and the highest settings and after a couple mins this is where I got, fans never kicked on once despite the fan % going up. sc.gif

1 minute ago, TimFragz said:

The cpu and mobo are both brand new so i've ruled that out to be an issue, also I did stress testing after I installed them and everything was fine. The odd part is when running cinebench openGL testing everything went fine (I didn't monitor temps though). I monitored temp while playing csgo and the highest settings and after a couple mins this is where I got, fans never kicked on once despite the fan % going up. 

send that card flying back to where it came from at the speed of light pls

Just now, Moonzy said:

send that card flying back to where it came from at the speed of light pls

Welp I guess i'm buying a new gpu, sadly I guess this will become a paper weight since I bought the whole pc used a while back with the card included. Thank you for your help!!

Just now, TimFragz said:

Welp I guess i'm buying a new gpu, sadly I guess this will become a paper weight since I bought the whole pc used a while back with the card included. Thank you for your help!!

from who? maybe you can complain and get a refund?

maybe thats why he sold it, some people are just...

you could ghetto mod a fan onto it

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

from who? maybe you can complain and get a refund?

maybe thats why he sold it, some people are just...

Some guy on craigslist. I've already contacted him about the issue asking if he had any ideas on what could be wrong. I even said "look if you know whats wrong please just tell me so I can fix it" but he claims not to know. I got a pretty good deal on it considering everything that was included so yeah most likely he knew the card was having issues. I wish he would have just told me though instead of me going through all this hastle

1 minute ago, TimFragz said:

Some guy on craigslist. I've already contacted him about the issue asking if he had any ideas on what could be wrong. I even said "look if you know whats wrong please just tell me so I can fix it" but he claims not to know. I got a pretty good deal on it considering everything that was included so yeah most likely he knew the card was having issues. I wish he would have just told me though instead of me going through all this hastle

you could always ziptie a fan onto it and use your motherboard fan header to control the fan

1 hour ago, TimFragz said:

Well you could probably MacGyver the fans to a fan controller.

Maybe you should try connecting them directly to PSU just to see if they work.

4 minutes ago, Tommex84 said:

Well you could probably MacGyver the fans (if they even work) to a fan controller.

Maybe you should try connecting them directly to PSU just to see if they work.

Yeah, if you could hook the MacGyvered fans to a header on your mobo, you could use a program like speedfan to control the fans on a curve based on the temp of your GPU