Need help finding the right servers for me

Im looking to upgrade my homelab and im looking for some used server.  What is the best 4U node based server (like a Dell PowerEdge C6220 but 4U) and what would be the best iscsi server. Im looking to spend no more than $600 for the node based server and $400 for the iscsi server.

HTID

How much storage you need? Personally for cost reasons I would use a node for the storage server and pass all the disks through to that then the other nodes use iSCSI for access.

Also what are you going to be running on the nodes? Would help to know a little more about your environment. 

Wondering about the 4U requirement, whats the reason for it? More nodes? The only 4U one I know of that isn't a blade chassis is the HP Apollo 4500 but that is heavily storage focused with a max of 3 nodes per unit and far too new to have a used market yet.

50 minutes ago, leadeater said:

How much storage you need? Personally for cost reasons I would use a node for the storage server and pass all the disks through to that then the other nodes use iSCSI for access.

Also what are you going to be running on the nodes? Would help to know a little more about your environment. 

I need at least 3TBs but more is better.  I actually never thought of using a node for storage I might do that.  The server is going to be used for a database and the rest of the nodes are going to host game servers that me and my friend are developing. 

54 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Wondering about the 4U requirement, whats the reason for it? More nodes? The only 4U one I know of that isn't a blade chassis is the HP Apollo 4500 but that is heavily storage focused with a max of 3 nodes per unit and far too new to have a used market yet.

I only have 12Us and I need to fit 4Us of other stuff like my router, switch, and other things.  I wanted 4Us so I wouldn't be limited to 4 nodes. 

HTID

2 hours ago, SirSquid said:

I need at least 3TBs but more is better.  I actually never thought of using a node for storage I might do that.  The server is going to be used for a database and the rest of the nodes are going to host game servers that me and my friend are developing. 

I only have 12Us and I need to fit 4Us of other stuff like my router, switch, and other things.  I wanted 4Us so I wouldn't be limited to 4 nodes. 

You could also look at using a distributed storage system like Gluster or Ceph then you could add storage and/or compute as needed then once you hit 4 nodes or if you start with 4 and need more add another 2U unit. Gluster/Ceph for storage and KVM to create VMs to run the services you need.

Another option is Nutanix Community Edition. I can vouch for Nutanix, we use it at work for a couple of things and is very good.

I'm currently converting my lab over to a similar setup but I'm using Server 2016 and Storage Spaces which is not a realistic option for most people due to license cost. I still use ESXi for my hypervisor though since I pay for VMUG EVALExperience.