Asus ROG G750JM: Defective by design

Hi,

A few months ago I posted a thread (visibly not in the laptop section, but whatever), ranting about my Asus ROG G750JM. I was and I am still angry about this laptop.

Today I'm convinced that this laptop is designed to be defective.

Specs are:

• Intel i7 4700HQ;
  • NVidia 860m;
  • 16GB RAM;
  • 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000;
  • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits.

What are the problems?

First of all, I will occasionnaly BSoD if I'm not running the OEM NVidia driver 347.52. That means I can't use the shiny new drivers or even a drivers with ShadowPlay in GeForce Experience. That would make me BSoD at startup.

My second issue is that every single hard drive I have inserted into the second bay were damaged over time. The first drive lasted 6 months, the second and the third less than two months. They were the same brand and model as the one that came in the first bay: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB. I'm now running a new one on a USB3 dock.

My third issues is that the screen's internal cable will detach itself. Sometimes I'll have to disassemble the screen every few days and tape it back correctly. There is no locking mechanism besides sticky tape!

IMG_9111_cropped.jpg IMG_9092_50p.jpg

Trying to solve problems

I have exchanged several emails with Asus' support team. Every single time I link a video, a crashdump, a log file, kernel messages or even mentionned what I tried to diagnose the issues I was ignored. Always offered to RMA the computer without promising to repair it once and for all. The RMA team like to make me remember that they might have to make me pay for the damages if they judged I was the one who caused them.

The "threat" of getting a quote or billed didn't help the fact that it's the only computer I own currently, and that I actually need it since I'm a student in computer science.

I documented every single use cases I could and even tried getting the most out of crash dumps for the BSoD and Kernel messages for when the hard drive in the second bay would fail. For the screen I just needed to use my eyes to witness flickering on certain colors, and sometimes, the whole screen going blank or showing lines.

I had high expectations of the French Asus support team. I was shocked when I learned that they go through a third party repair shop. I even voiced my concern when I had to RMA it a second time.

I was not being told that the warranty of replaced part was only worth 3 months the first time I had to go through the RMA process.

Is this another rant?

Somewhat yeah. I'm ranting. I'm angry.

But I'm actually trying to find out if I'm the only one pissed about this laptop and I'm looking for people willing to share their own experiences about this.

There's nothing we can do. And I'm not counting on this thread going viral or anything.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

My dream in life is to live of quality internet fiber and junk food.

my experience with my asus laptop:

it was overheating so i cracked it open to check whats the issue

the cpu's thermal paste is everywhere around the socket

the insulator to prevent the plate from shorting the caps on the cpu is covering half of the die

every time i crack open the laptop, the motherboard just dies for no good reason `-`

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

4 minutes ago, SenpaiSilver said:

Hi,

A few months ago I posted a thread (visibly not in the laptop section, but whatever), ranting about my Asus ROG G750JM. I was and I am still angry about this laptop.

Today I'm convinced that this laptop is designed to be defective.

Specs are:

• Intel i7 4700HQ;
  • NVidia 860m;
  • 16GB RAM;
  • 1TB Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000;
  • Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bits.

What are the problems?

First of all, I will occasionnaly BSoD if I'm not running the OEM NVidia driver 347.52. That means I can use the shiny new drivers or even a drivers with ShadowPlay in GeForce Experience. That would make me BSoD at startup.

My second issue is that every single hard drive I have inserted into the second bay were damaged over time. The first drive lasted 6 months, the second and the third less than two months. They were the same brand and model as the one that came in the first bay: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB. I'm now running a new one on a USB3 dock.

My third issues is that the screen's internal cable will detach itself. Sometimes I'll have to disassemble the screen every few days and tape it back correctly. There is no locking mechanism besides sticky tape!

IMG_9111_cropped.jpg IMG_9092_50p.jpg

Trying to solve problems

I have exchanged several emails with Asus' support team. Every single time I link a video, a crashdump, a log file, kernel messages or even mentionned what I tried to diagnose the issues I was ignored. Always offered to RMA the computer without promising to repair it once and for all. The RMA team like to make me remember that they might have to make me pay for the damages if they judged I was the one who caused them.

The "threat" of getting a quote or billed didn't help the fact that it's the only computer I own currently, and that I actually need it since I'm a student in computer science.

I documented every single use cases I could and even tried getting the most out of crash dumps for the BSoD and Kernel messages for when the hard drive in the second bay would fail. For the screen I just needed to use my eyes to witness flickering on certain colors, and sometimes, the whole screen going blank or showing lines.

I had high expectations of the French Asus support team. I was shocked when I learned that they go through a third party repair shop. I even voiced my concern when I had to RMA it a second time.

I was not being told that the warranty of replaced part was only worth 3 months the first time I had to go through the RMA process.

Is this another rant?

Somewhat yeah. I'm ranting. I'm angry.

But I'm actually trying to find out if I'm the only one pissed about this laptop and I'm looking for people willing to share their own experiences about this.

There's nothing we can do. And I'm not counting on this thread going viral or anything.

Please share your experiences.

Thanks.

wow my whole bias about asus rog laptops was that they were expensive and really really good in terms of build quality and design and hardware. now my view has changed

4 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

my experience with my asus laptop:

it was overheating so i cracked it open to check whats the issue

the cpu's thermal paste is everywhere around the socket

the insulator to prevent the plate from shorting the caps on the cpu is covering half of the die

every time i crack open the laptop, the motherboard just dies for no good reason `-`

well my brother has had a really good experience with his x555la-rhi7n10, asus would have made a perfect laptop with that if it had an ssd and 2gb more ram

3 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

wow my whole bias about asus rog laptops was that they were expensive and really really good in terms of build quality and design and hardware. now my view has changed

To be fair, if we're speaking only about the physical aspect then it's perfect for me. I don't even have to worry with overheating.

I'm focused on the flaws of the eletronics.

The cable DOES have a locking mechanism - look very carefuly at the sides of the connectors - there are 2 tiny pins that push into 2 small holes - if you've broken one off on accident it is likely the reason for the issue

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

7 hours ago, don_svetlio said:

The cable DOES have a locking mechanism - look very carefuly at the sides of the connectors - there are 2 tiny pins that push into 2 small holes - if you've broken one off on accident it is likely the reason for the issue

Ever since I had to disassemble the screen I never felt that those pins were locking into place. I can feel and see those "bumped" but I'm not sure if they're even locking into place each time.

Why can't we have a more reliable lock like for example the locking mechanism for the camera ribbon on the Raspberry Pi ?

9 minutes ago, SenpaiSilver said:

Ever since I had to disassemble the screen I never felt that those pins were locking into place. I can feel and see those "bumped" but I'm not sure if they're even locking into place each time.

Why can't we have a more reliable lock like for example the locking mechanism for the camera ribbon on the Raspberry Pi ?

No idea.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6