ROG Swift PG278Q Quality Control ?

MalaCraft

Hey Guys.

So I look into buying an PG278Q ROG Swift. I dont mind the TN Panel, I just like to have 27" 1440p 144hz and gsync.

The Problem is I have read a ton of very negative and upset user reviews about faulty panels, big backlight bleed, and all in all very bad quality control from asus. Some had their Swifts dieing after a few weeks months.

So my question is, is there like a revision or something? Or are later produced editions less faulty?

I know I can always send a faulty monitor back, but i really dont want to deal to much with rma stuff, since i read some stories where people had to send them back multible times.

I hope maybe someone knows a bit more.

Thanks

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

Get the PB279Q, which is a 10-bit 1440p 144hz IPS panel.

Fuck GSync and Freesync. In a 144hz panel, they're pretty worthless.

7 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Yeah I never understood why they typically only put gsync/freesync in the higher end monitors.  I guess people like to think they're paying a lot so they should get all the features, but if you've got the money for one of those, you've probably got the money for a rig to run things at awesome framerates, and the point of gsync/freesync is to make lower framerates look better by not having to map 46 fps (for example) to 60 hz refresh.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

11 minutes ago, Lotus said:

As far as i know the PB279Q is a 4k display.

And I said I want a gsync... i have tried it a few times and i want one, so what.

Thank you for your reply, but that has nothing to do with my questions.

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

1 minute ago, MalaCraft said:

As far as i know the PB279Q is a 4k display.

And I said I want a gsync... i have tried it a few times and i want one, so what.

Thank you for your reply, but that has nothing to do with my questions.

Shit, I had the wrong monitor. It's the MG279Q, not the PB. Whoops. It also has Freesync, but that's not important. Adaptive Sync on 144hz monitors is pointless. Max you're only holding a frame for 1/144th of a second too long, rather than 1/60th of a second too long. The higher the refresh of the panel, the less adaptive sync matters. It's not something I'd ever buy into. Basically, I'm trying to say your experiences on a 60hz panel with adaptive sync are irrelevant on a 144hz panel.

Everything was said already with so many reviews, nobody will tell you anything more because there is nothing more to tell. There are some people that claim that they got perfect units, but this is vast minority. By buying monitor like this you enter a lottery with very low winning chance. If you think that such display is very suitable for you and you don't see anything else on the market for yourself then should try your luck, but don't expect anything to go normal or smooth and prepare for rough weeks of exchanging and returning. If you get good unit first time then it will be nice surprise, but prepare for the worst, because those monitors are just bad.

Spoiler

CPU: i7-6900K 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: X99 Sabertooth | GPU: RTX 2080 Ti SLi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3400 CL13 | SSD: SX8200 PRO 512GB | PSU: Corsair AX1600i | Case: InWin 805C | Monitor: LG 38UC99-W 85Hz | Keyboard: Wooting One Analog | Keypad: Azeron Compact Analog | Mouse: Swiftpoint Z | Audio: Klipsch Reference 5.1

6 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Shit, I had the wrong monitor. It's the MG279Q, not the PB. Whoops. It also has Freesync, but that's not important. Adaptive Sync on 144hz monitors is pointless. Max you're only holding a frame for 1/144th of a second too long, rather than 1/60th of a second too long. The higher the refresh of the panel, the less adaptive sync matters. It's not something I'd ever buy into. Basically, I'm trying to say your experiences on a 60hz panel with adaptive sync are irrelevant on a 144hz panel.

I get your point, but my experiences of gsync are on a 144hz panel. i own a 120hz panel for a few years now, and still i would like to upgrade to gsync

6 minutes ago, MalaCraft said:

but my experiences of gsync are on a 144hz panel. i own a 120hz panel for a few years now, and still i would like to upgrade to gsync

Checking your profile, you don't have the GPU setup capable of driving a 1440p display anyway unless you massively turn down VRAM related settings. If you're going to spend $500+ on a monitor, might as well get something that can actually use it. Might be time to switch to red team if you insist on a top quality 1440p 144hz adaptive sync monitor. They're handling the higher resolutions better anyway.

2 minutes ago, Lotus said:

Checking your profile, you don't have the cards capable of driving a 1440p display anyway unless you massively turn down VRAM related settings. If you're going to spend $500+ on a monitor, might as well get something that can actually use it. Might be time to switch to red team if you insist on a top quality 1440p 144hz adaptive sync monitor.

4gb vram should be enough till i upgrade, which will probably be when the next gpus are coming.

Just now, MalaCraft said:

4gb vram should be enough till i upgrade, which will probably be when the next gpus are coming.

You have 2GB of VRAM. Dual GPU solutions don't add their VRAM together since all information is duplicated on each card. You have double the VRAM, but each 2GB is a mirror of the other one. This may also be a large source of stuttering in-game if you are forcing the GPUs to resort to basically a pagefile on system memory.

1 minute ago, Lotus said:

You have 2GB of VRAM. Dual GPU solutions don't add their VRAM together since all information is duplicated on each card. You have double the VRAM, but each 2GB is a mirror of the other one. This may also be a large source of stuttering in-game if you are forcing the GPUs to resort to basically a pagefile on system memory.

read more accurately. my gtx 770s are 4gb versions.

2 minutes ago, MalaCraft said:

read more accurately. my gtx 770s are 4gb versions.

My mistake.