Does Minecraft support SLI/Crossfire

Matias_Chambers

I was just wondering if Minecraft supports SLI/Crossfire and if it would benefit from more than 1 GPU. And yes I know that more than 1 GPU is COMPLETELY overkill for Minecraft.  

I don't believe it does

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

Thanks. In case you misunderstood me, no I am NOT buying a computer with SLI/Crossfire to play Minecraft.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Not sure why MC would even need two gpu's, let alone a nicer single gpu. I thought MC was more cpu intensive rather then gpu intensive. Also, the reason why it runs fairly poorly on computers is because of Java... :/ fu ffuuuu fuck you Java.

Don't blame Java. It wasn't made for games so you should really be blaming the dev, but you probably wouldn't do that if you are a fan.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

56 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

I know, I wish the developer wasn't dumb and went with Java. I only play MC now a days to grief, troll, hack, and make random contraptions/buildings. Have you seen the U.E. 4 MC mod, now if MC was using U.E. 4 I would be a very happy camper. But they probably used Java since every single computer can run it, you know, little Johnny 2x4 and his mom's HP Notebook XD.

Exactly. Java applications are usually more compatible with a wide array of hardware but definitely there are languages much much better for games.

Current PC: Origin Millennium- i7 5820K @4.0GHz | GTX 980Ti SLI | X99 Deluxe 

21 hours ago, Matias_Chambers said:

Thanks. In case you misunderstood me, no I am NOT buying a computer with SLI/Crossfire to play Minecraft.

I know mate lol

I just had to make the joke. No hard feelings

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

• 7 months later...

If you install some crazy texture packs and shaders then try to play in 4k the game can be very very demanding. Demanding enough to where a single titan xp just isn't enough. Getting SLI to work would be a miracle.

• 2 months later...

Yes it somehow does actually. I've used Sildur's shaders on it and found that creating a custom profile for it actually increases the FPS. 1x1 worked best for me.

If you're running your game on high resolutions (like 4K) you would probably profit from having two GPUs in SLI, because the higher the resolution, the better GPU you need. And the most games support SLI. If you're running it in high quality it takes more from the CPU. So if you're running Minecraft at 1080p (1920 * 1080), it would probably not profit in you in any way if you got two GPUs and put them i SLI, but if you're going to go for multi-monitor setups or high resolution monitors it would probably make some difference at least. You would not get double FPS or anything like that, but an increase of at least 30% in FPS would be my guess.

• 2 months later...
On 4/26/2016 at 11:12 AM, Matias_Chambers said:

I was just wondering if Minecraft supports SLI/Crossfire and if it would benefit from more than 1 GPU. And yes I know that more than 1 GPU is COMPLETELY overkill for Minecraft.  

Minecraft can if your launcher is set with the proper configuration. If you get forge v1.11.2 and drop the latest optifine in the mod folder after the initial launch in forge. You will have shaders, mods, and some processes will configure to GPU.

From here purchase, Realistico resource pack. and download the continuum shaderpack

If you play with the settings and read the details when highlighting some feature titles it will show there GPU oriented. The baser game renders via CPU and ram while the graphical overhaul is so amazing its like a whole new game. It is this feature that will benefit with SLI as its all GPU oreinted.

• 1 year later...
On 4/26/2016 at 11:12 AM, Matias_Chambers said:

if someone really wants to use SLI, you probably want to use a shaders pack to get the most out of crossfire

Yes, but you need to configure the SLI setting yourself in NVCP. Honestly though, you won't be facing many situations where SLI is necessary with Minecraft.

SLI will definitely prove helpful with shader mods, but some shader mods don't work with SLI. Last I checked, the most current shader mod that works with SLI is the CUDA Shader mod. SEUS does not support SLI though, at least not since the last time I tried it.

Gaming Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7-6850k @ 4.2GHz

GPU: 2x FE GTX 1080Ti

Memory: 16GB PNY Anarchy DDR4 3200MHz

Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme 4

Encoding Rig
Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.7GHz

GPU: GTX 1050

Memory: 8GB Curcial Ballistix DDR4 2133MHz

Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350M-DS3H