New mechanical keyboard

Hi guys!

I'm looking forward to buying a new keyboard. This would be my first mechanical keyboard and I need some advice.

I'm a student in computer science and a gamer so I do a lot of typing and I would also game with it (when I have the time to do so).

I would also need a backlit one because my girlfriend is often asleep in the room when I code. (This could also be a noise factor)

I really like to have a tactile feedback when I type and have a wrist rest.

I'm currently using a Logitech G15 v2  and I also really like the small LCD screen on it to monitor my PC's temps but I can live without it.

So from that I came up with the Cherry MX brown switches.

I really like the Corsair Vengeance K70 with browns from what I've read online. 

What other similar keyboard do you think I could get for a [80$-150$] budget (I live in Canada)? 

Thanks for your advice

a ducky shine 3 ? 

|Casual Rig| CPU: i5-6600k |MoBo: ROG Gene  |GPU: Asus 670 Direct CU2 |RAM: RipJaws 2400MHz 2x8GB DDR4 |Heatsink: H100i |Boot Drive: Samsung Evo SSD 240GB|Chassis:BitFenix Prodigy |Peripherals| Keyboard:DasKeyboard, Cherry MX Blue Switches,|Mouse: Corsair M40

|Server Specs| CPU: i7-3770k [OC'd @ 4.1GHz] |MoBo: Sabertooth Z77 |RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 2x8GB |Boot Drive: Samsung 840 SSD 128GB|Storage Drive: 4 WD 3TB Red Drives Raid 5 |Chassis:Corsair 600t 

well the logitech g710+ has o rings on the key switches to make it quieter I would look into that one.

Do you know if they change the tactile feel of the keys a lot?

I'd go g710+ since it has browns is back lit and quiet for your girlfriend. And if you feel the O rings dampen the tactility too much you just remove them. Really flexible there.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

a ducky shine 3 ? 

Yeah I saw this model but they look too straight  :P  and the model with the blue LEDs is back order on NCIX atm.

But it's still a good candidate

I'd go g710+ since it has browns is back lit and quiet for your girlfriend. And if you feel the O rings dampen the tactility too much you just remove them. Really flexible there.

That's good to know, thanks. 

The Quickfire TK/Ultimate with MX Browns could also be a choice.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

That's good to know, thanks. 

aha i also just remembered this bad boy: http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/code-keyboard.html

It uses clear switches which are the same thing as browns just a little heavier. It is also back lit and with EXCELLENT build quality. Also it looks ultra sexy.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Do you know if they change the tactile feel of the keys a lot?

I own it and it doesn't really change the tactile feel as I still experience it. It just prevents the key from bottoming out.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I own it and it doesn't really change the tactile feel as I still experience it. It just prevents the key from bottoming out.

Ok and do you know if the WASD keys can be changed to match the other keys colors if it really bothers me?

well the logitech g710+ has o rings on the key switches to make it quieter I would look into that one.

I have it. It sounds like it fits what the OP needs. 

Ok and do you know if the WASD keys can be changed to match the other keys colors if it really bothers me?

Probably but I wouldn't count on it. I don't think you'd be bothered. The grey on the keys matches the gray symbols on the keyboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Ducky Shine II and Corsair K70 is around the same price. I recommend Ducky.

DUCKY SHINE 3! Blue back light plus brown switches...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

You could get keycaps for it to change it but I don't think they might have the font that Logitech has so if you really want to change the keycaps I think you would have to change all of them to match by getting ABS backlit keys. But they don't really bother me.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

I really like my quickfire TK:

nice white backlight

almost as compact as a tenkeyless, but still with a numpad.

simplistic design, with a couple ridges in the sides and a cool(imo) font

fairly inexpensive

great build quality

you can add o-rings easily, but I personally don't like them.

AMD FX8320 @3.5ghz |  Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3  |  Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz  |  Hyper 412s  |  Gigabyte windforceR9 290  |  BeQuiet! 630w  |  Asus Xonar DGX  |  CoolerMast HAF 912+  |  Samsung 840 120gb

2 WD red 1tb RAID0  |  WD green 2tb(external, backup)  |  Asus VG278He  |  LG Flatron E2240  |  CMstorm Quickfire TK MXbrown  |  Sharkoon Fireglider  |  Audio Technica ATH700X

#KILLEDMYWIFE

Alright, after reading all those comments, I'll get the G710+ because I prefer a large keyboard to a compact one and the o-rings seems interesting to me.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it is when I get it.

So, as promised I'm here to give my feedback on my new G710+.

I received it very fast from NCIX and so far I really like it and I would recommend it to anyone that is used to a Logitech keyboard. 

Pros:

- Looks nice

- Feels nice

- Sounds nice

- Media keys work great

- I did not have to install the Logitech drivers and softwares considering that I already had it installed for my G15 and the G710+ got detected automatically

- The backlight is very bright and has 4 intensity levels (con: uneven on some keys)

- The usb pass through is perfect for my mouse

- Doesn't slide around my desk like my G15 did

Cons: 

- Louder than my membrane G15 (but that was expected)

- The backlight doesn't light up the part of the keycaps where the second key function is displayed (the ^ on the 6 key etc.) and it annoys me a little

- The spacebar is very loud compared to the other keys

Thanks again for your advice guys.