Trying to jerry-rig a case fan for better GPU cooling

RelentlessTroll
7 minutes ago, RelentlessTroll said:

You know.. I completely forgot that the stock cooler will be gone.. I feel stupid now lol I have a few options now! That sounds way more appealing than adding them to my loop. And cheaper! And the Kraken G10 would be nice, but after watching a video on it, it seems to add a lot of sag to the GPU due to weight :/ 

Screenshot_2.png

If you can mount the radiator above the card, the tubes would pull it up.

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If you can mount the radiator above the card, the tubes would pull it up.

I'm not so sure I can do that. My RAM may get in the way, and actually on the other side, if you go back and look at the pics of my rig, you'll notice only one fan is on the rad on the inside. The other is on top of the case, because there's some cables that get in the way of the screw holes, so I can't put the rad over there either. There's only 2 places I can put the rads if I went with a closed loop solution: Exhaust at the back, or intake at the front. Also judging from reviews on Newegg, people are also saying that the Kraken G10 is useful, but kinda lacking in cooling VRAM, so that's kinda concerning as well.

2 minutes ago, RelentlessTroll said:

I'm not so sure I can do that. My RAM may get in the way, and actually on the other side, if you go back and look at the pics of my rig, you'll notice only one fan is on the rad on the inside. The other is on top of the case, because there's some cables that get in the way of the screw holes, so I can't put the rad over there either. There's only 2 places I can put the rads if I went with a closed loop solution: Exhaust at the back, or intake at the front. Also judging from reviews on Newegg, people are also saying that the Kraken G10 is useful, but kinda lacking in cooling VRAM, so that's kinda concerning as well.

For the VRMs, you can get some small heatsinks and some thermal adhesive to glue them to the chips.

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

For the VRMs, you can get some small heatsinks and some thermal adhesive to glue them to the chips.

How does that work? I put adhesive on the VRM? Is that so it makes contact with something?

Also on another note, I discovered I may be able to put a fan or rad at the bottom of the case as well.

How does that work? I put adhesive on the VRM? Is that so it makes contact with something?

Also on another note, I discovered I may be able to put a fan or rad at the bottom of the case as well.

There's such thing as thermal adhesive like Arctic Alumina. It's like thermal paste, but it's also an adhesive. So you glue little heatsinks onto the VRMs.

ASU

There's such thing as thermal adhesive like Arctic Alumina. It's like thermal paste, but it's also an adhesive. So you glue little heatsinks onto the VRMs.

Ohh, well I can probably do that. Can I buy these individually?

Just now, RelentlessTroll said:

Ohh, well I can probably do that. Can I buy these individually?

I think you can get the heatsinks in packs of ten, then one pack of Arctic Alumina is enough to glue two planets together.

ASU

I think you can get the heatsinks in packs of ten, then one pack of Arctic Alumina is enough to glue two planets together.

Nice. Well I think I'm all but sold on buying those Antec coolers for my GPUs. Only thing I gotta figure out now is where I'm gonna mount them.

One other thing; what are these cables on the block itself for? Are those just for the LEDs? I wouldn't think there'd be that many wires for just an LED.

Screenshot_3.png

1 minute ago, RelentlessTroll said:

Nice. Well I think I'm all but sold on buying those Antec coolers for my GPUs. Only thing I gotta figure out now is where I'm gonna mount them.

One other thing; what are these cables on the block itself for? Are those just for the LEDs? I wouldn't think there'd be that many wires for just an LED.

Screenshot_3.png

A lot AIOs have built in fan control, LED, and power for the pump.

ASU

A lot AIOs have built in fan control, LED, and power for the pump.

Well damn. I have no idea where to even connect those if I can. a couple of those look like they're some kind of female ports. One question after another :S 

Well damn. I have no idea where to even connect those if I can. a couple of those look like they're some kind of female ports. One question after another :S 

Your case has a built in fan controller, or you can just plug them into your board.

ASU

Your case has a built in fan controller, or you can just plug them into your board.

Well if it's not important, can I get away with not plugging them in at all? You mentioned it could be the pump, which I know is important. Mostly I'm just worried about reach, since these may be going on my GPUs and not the CPU.

1 minute ago, RelentlessTroll said:

Well if it's not important, can I get away with not plugging them in at all? You mentioned it could be the pump, which I know is important. Mostly I'm just worried about reach, since these may be going on my GPUs and not the CPU.

There's probably one of them that's a 3 or 4 pin header with one wire going into it. That one you can leave out because it just tells your motherboard that there is a CPU cooler going.

ASU

There's probably one of them that's a 3 or 4 pin header with one wire going into it. That one you can leave out because it just tells your motherboard that there is a CPU cooler going.

Alright. I'll see what I can do. I really hope this works. This method seems idiot proof ('Me' proof) for the most part.

53 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

After looking at some video demos of the Kraken G10, I really don't think it'll fit on my top card with my bottom GPU there. That doesn't bother me too much, but where can I buy some heatsinks for the VRM and VRAM? And where exactly is the VRM and VRAM located on the card? lol

Cut a hole on the side of your side panel for a 120 or 140mm intake

Main System Specs:

• Intel Core i5 6500 3.2GHz CPU
  • Gigabyte GA-H170-D3H Motherboard
  • Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 2400MHz, Gskill Ripjaws 8GB
  • Asus GTX 1060 Turbo
  • Kingston HyperX Savage 240GB SSD
  • Seagate 1TB NAS Grade HDD x2
  • Thermaltake NiC F3 Cooler
  • EVGA Supernova 750 G2 Power Supply
  • NZXT S340 Red/Black Case
  • Noctua NF-F12 Fan x2