apple tv?

AbsintheGold
Go to solution Solved by JaanMan,

Actually the smoothness of streaming video through AirPlay depends on your wireless network.
The better your wireless is, the less the lag will be.

Since all of your movies is ripped in a home server, why don't you just use Alterlai's suggestion.

Setup a older computer to run with XBMC.

I know that your mother will hate using keyboard and mouse to navigate. I mean who doesn't when you are controlling from your couch. 

But there is a solution to this problem. You can download some XBMC Media Controller on your mother's iPad to control the XBMC from the couch. 
It should satisfy your mother's need of picking movie from the iPad and Play and Pause from it.

If you don't want the trouble of going into XBMC every time Windows launches, just download XBMCbuntu and install that as Operating System.

So after the trouble of initial setup, daily usage will be pretty much easy to use and navigate.

im not sure if it belongs in this thread

im setting up my mums home network and wanting it to be easy for her to use, for her to come home, turn on the tv, and pick what movie she wants to watch using her ipad with out getting called every 5mins saying its not working (i think most of use have been there) and also make do with what she already has and what shes use to

ive decided that i wanna get her an apple TV (3rd gen)

she has an ipad (2nd gen)

all her movies are blue rays, rip onto a local server (as a backup)

what im wanting to know is, (using airplay app) would she be able to stream hd content to the apple tv with out to much down sampling or "lag"

im not sure if it belongs in this thread

im setting up my mums home network and wanting it to be easy for her to use, for her to come home, turn on the tv, and pick what movie she wants to watch using her ipad with out getting called every 5mins saying its not working (i think most of use have been there) and also make do with what she already has and what shes use to

ive decided that i wanna get her an apple TV (3rd gen)

she has an ipad (2nd gen)

all her movies are blue rays, rip onto a local server (as a backup)

what im wanting to know is, (using airplay app) would she be able to stream hd content to the apple tv with out to much down sampling or "lag"

I'm not sure, i don't use apple. But you can also setup an old computer next to her tv and use XBMC. You can also combine that with wireless mouse / keyboard. And a cloud system with all movies. You can add your movies from your home to her server, so she doesn't even have to download/buy it herself.

Might also be cheaper than apple tv.

CPU:

Intel Core i5 2500k - Motherboard: Asus maximus iv gene-z - RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance Blue 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - GPU: ASUS GTX 770 DirectCU II
Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 II - Storage: Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate barracuda 3TB PSU: XFX 650W XXX Edition Modular PSU - Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 Pro
Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 - Sound: Razer Characias

If you can still find VLC Media Player in the App Store, you could probably do it. The Apple TV is not able to play the ripped movies on it's own and neither is the iPad without VLC. 

I am not sure if the second gen iPad is powerfull enough to play the HD file though.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

I'm not sure, i don't use apple. But you can also setup an old computer next to her tv and use XBMC. You can also combine that with wireless mouse / keyboard. And a cloud system with all movies. You can add your movies from your home to her server, so she doesn't even have to download/buy it herself.

Might also be cheaper than apple tv.

thank you for your awnser

as this idea is great and will work, knowing my mother, she wouldn't like that fact of using a keyboard and mouse to navigate through her movies

what i was hoping is for her to pick a movie on off the server (on her ipad) and have it show up on the tv, with great quality

i should also mention that after ripping she compresses them down to mkv format, she already uses airplay while at work and loves how easy it is to use

i know from personal use, streaming a 25gb file to a ipad (using airplay) and using the the hdmi thing that apple has, the quality is outstanding, barely  any down sampling

but knowing mum she would hate having to plug her ipad into the tv every time she wants to watch a movie, and having to get up and walk to it everytime she wants to pause it,

even though this is what shes doing already with her bluray player

Actually the smoothness of streaming video through AirPlay depends on your wireless network.
The better your wireless is, the less the lag will be.

Since all of your movies is ripped in a home server, why don't you just use Alterlai's suggestion.

Setup a older computer to run with XBMC.

I know that your mother will hate using keyboard and mouse to navigate. I mean who doesn't when you are controlling from your couch. 

But there is a solution to this problem. You can download some XBMC Media Controller on your mother's iPad to control the XBMC from the couch. 
It should satisfy your mother's need of picking movie from the iPad and Play and Pause from it.

If you don't want the trouble of going into XBMC every time Windows launches, just download XBMCbuntu and install that as Operating System.

So after the trouble of initial setup, daily usage will be pretty much easy to use and navigate.

If you were to go the XBMC route then there is the XBMC Remote app so she can visually select movies from the app and have it play on the TV.

Second option would be to buy a cheap remote control so she could navigate it just like a guide on a TV.

The interface if very easy only the arrow keys, the Enter and Backspace keys are used if she has to fall back on a keyboard she wouldn't have any trouble.

My freind has a apple tv. He hates it. I haven't had a chance to try it but by what he says about it I wouldn't get a apple tv. Just use a smart tv or something.

Gaming rig- Cpu- Amd 9590, 16gbs of G Skill Ram, Gpu- GTX 760 windforce 3 edition 2gb. A Thermaltake water 2.0 water cooler for my cpu. Keyboard- Thermaltake Posieden , Case- 750D, Mobo Asus 990fx R2.0. 24 inch Dell LED monitor