M.2 oder PCIe SSD

Hello,

i want te get an new and fast ssd for my Computer. 

My question now is, should i go with an M.2 SSD and an PCIe adapter or with an "native" NVMe PCIe SSD ?

for M.2 i would use the Samsung MZ-V5P512BW with this adapter

or should i go for the Intel® SSDPEDMW400G4X1 750 SSD ??

My PC has an X79 Chipset with an Overclocked 4930K
I want to use this SSD as boot drive and vor often used software 

I'd go for the m.2.

The 750 looks nicer, but then again, the 950 gives you 112 gb more storage and is faster.

CPU: i7 5820k @3.2           Motherboard: Asrock x99x Killer           CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO           GPU: Asus 280x DirectCU II

Case: NZXT S340            RAM: 8GB Hyperx Fury DDR4 @2133MHz           HDD: Corsair Force LS 120GB           PSU: EVGA GQ 650W 80+GOLD

Double check but as far as I know, NVME drives are not supported on X79.

314 Euros?  As they would say en Français, "mon Dieu!" for a 512gb SSD.

Are you finding anything about your SSD I/O experience with SATA-6 SSDs unsatisfactory?  That's an awfully big early adopter premium.

Also, M.2 PCI-E SSDs don't have option ROMs allowing them to be used as boot devices.  Your board has to support that, which an X79 probably doesn't. 

2 minutes ago, Mark77 said:

314 Euros?  As they would say en Français, "mon Dieu!" for a 512gb SSD.

Are you finding anything about your SSD I/O experience with SATA-6 SSDs unsatisfactory?  That's an awfully big early adopter premium.

Also, M.2 PCI-E SSDs don't have option ROMs allowing them to be used as boot devices.  Your board has to support that, which an X79 probably doesn't. 

4 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Double check but as far as I know, NVME drives are not supported on X79.

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up-13.html

As far as 2 minutes of googling got me, at least 2 unmodified bios's for 2 very different models and manufacturers support NVME fully.

CPU: i7 5820k @3.2           Motherboard: Asrock x99x Killer           CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO           GPU: Asus 280x DirectCU II

Case: NZXT S340            RAM: 8GB Hyperx Fury DDR4 @2133MHz           HDD: Corsair Force LS 120GB           PSU: EVGA GQ 650W 80+GOLD

1 minute ago, かあびぃ said:

http://www.win-raid.com/t871f16-Guide-How-to-get-full-NVMe-support-for-Intel-Chipset-systems-from-Series-up-13.html

As far as 2 minutes of googling got me, at least 2 unmodified bios's for 2 very different models and manufacturers support NVME fully.

He's got a GA-X79-UP4 which Gigabyte do not officially support NVME drives on.

2 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Neither did the sabertooth nor the Asus P9X79 Deluxe

7 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

NVMe support is really only for saying that the bios can use the device and a boot drive, so you can use it as an OS drive. Any NVMe SSD will work on any system so long as the OS has drivers to use it. Fundamentally it is just a PCI-E device like anything else.

Edit:

@surtursrevenge Since you want to use it as a boot drive I would avoid buying an NVMe for this purpose, since it is not officially supported it could be a very costly mistake. You actually won't notice much difference day to day between an NVMe and a SATA III.

2 minutes ago, leadeater said:

NVMe support is really only for saying that the bios can use the device and a boot drive, so you can use it as an OS drive. Any NVMe SSD will work on system so long as the OS has drivers to use it. Fundamentally it is just a PCI-E device like anything else.

Not necessarily - when the 750 came out, work was shipped a number of NVME drives and were given information from partners stating that X79 will have no official support. Some BIOS revisions may support it however manufacturers won't provide technical/warranty support for it. Gigabyte was one of those brands.

3 minutes ago, Windspeed36 said:

Not necessarily - when the 750 came out, work was shipped a number of NVME drives and were given information from partners stating that X79 will have no official support. Some BIOS revisions may support it however manufacturers won't provide technical/warranty support for it. Gigabyte was one of those brands.

Sorry wasn't that clear in first edit of my post, meant any system can use it as a storage device but not as a boot drive. Always best to stick with qualified parts lists, especially when it comes to such high price items. Personally never found SSD's that slow on my X79 system, better to wait for next chipset/cpu release in the enthusiast lineup as it will actually have a performance benefit that can be used.

So far i got

i cant use NVMe as boot drive, because it is not supported by the chipset

Would i be able to use the M.2 drive ? Or ist this NVMe too ??

At the moment i only got an old Corsair Forge GS 120GB SSD which is full an to slow for my usecase ( arround 200 MB/s) 

So i really need some new bigger and faster Storage

7 minutes ago, surtursrevenge said:

So far i got

At the moment i only got an old Corsair Forge GS 120GB SSD which is full an to slow for my usecase ( arround 200 MB/s) 

You'll be able to use M.2 drives in an adapter provided they're SATA based, not PCIe. NVME drive support varies from board to board and I wouldn't recomend buying one. See if you can get Intel 535 series SSD's - they're EOL which means all stock is marked down quite a bit.

2 minutes ago, surtursrevenge said:

So far i got

M.2 is a form factor not a storage interface type. A new Samsung 850 Pro will be much faster than what you currently have and will absolutely work.

Also modern NVMe uses U.2 and old NVMe + SATA uses M.2. Physically U.2 and M.2 are the same but U.2 offers 4 PCI-E lanes and M.2 offers 2 PCI-E lane. Yes this is confusing as hell.