Passive cooling with the 212 evo

GeorgeKellow

I'm trying to make my build the quietest that I can. so removing my fan of my 212 (Corsair af120) will eliminate the loudest part of my pc. Will it get super hot? My cpu (i5 4670k) is overclocked to 4.2ghz on 1.1 v 

Uhhh I'd say that's not a great idea. Maybe looking into a quieter fan would be a better option.

There's the obvious Noctua fans that people will suggest, but may I also throw in fans by Cryorig they make some pretty nice and quiet fans for half the price.

Just now, Raisin06 said:

Uhhh I'd say that's not a great idea. Maybe looking into a quieter fan would be a better option.

There's the obvious Noctua fans that people will suggest, but may I also throw in fans by Cryorig they make some pretty nice and quiet fans for half the price.

I heard the silent wings 2 is not audible 

Yes it will overheat. Buy bequiet silent wings 2 and enjoy dead silent fan.

1 minute ago, GeorgeKellow said:

I heard the silent wings 2 is not audible 

1 minute ago, chiwas said:

Yes it will overheat. Buy bequiet silent wings 2 and enjoy dead silent fan.

Another good choice for quiet operation. Also quite expensive I might add.

My reasoning behind the Cryorig suggestion was the Balance (linked above) comes installed on their H7 cooler (a near direct competitor to the 212 Evo) and it performed better than the stock fan on the 212 Evo as well as the heatsink all together. I never heard the fan on that even when cranked up to near 75%

Just now, Raisin06 said:

Another good choice for quiet operation. Also quite expensive I might add.

My reasoning behind the Cryorig suggestion was the Balance (linked above) comes installed on their H7 cooler (a near direct competitor to the 212 Evo) and it performed better than the stock fan on the 212 Evo as well as the heatsink all together. I never heard the fan on that even when cranked up to near 75%

is it PWM?

2 minutes ago, GreezyJeezy said:

The stock 212 evo Fan is really quiet tho. Atleast when I had a evo it was 

unless your system is on a load, I don't know how you hear it. I mean even in games, its so quiet that even I can't hear it with my headphones on.

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

you could try it out and see the temps on stress tests, if its reasonable then do it, otherwise consider underclocking.

Just now, BiscuitMassacre said:

unless your system is on a load, I don't know how you hear it. I mean even in games, its so quiet that even I can't hear with my headphones on.

It is quiet! But its got a sound that I can hear. I've got no hard drives all solid state baby! So I can just about here the 212 evo fan, its annoying xD

It is quiet! But its got a sound that I can hear. I've got no hard drives all solid state baby! So I can just about here the 212 evo fan, its annoying xD

Adjust the fan curve or change the fan. Going without fan on overclocked CPU is a bad idea.

What about getting 2 really silent & powerful fans and making them run a really low speeds?

My System:

Intel Core i5-4690k  / Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Asus Z97-AR MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 100me Corsair Vengeance LP 1600Mhz 2x4GB DDR3 Samsung 850 EVO 250GB / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM HDD / NZXT S340 EVGA SuperNOVA G1 650W / Windows 10 Home 64 / AOC G2460PQU 1080p 144hz / Corsair VOID Wireless RGB Razer Taipan Laser Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 

My Laptop (Asus X55C-DS31):

Intel Core i3-2370M @ 2.4Ghz 6GB RAM / OCZ ARC100 240GB SSD /

My Phone:

OnePlus Three Graphite Black / 64GB

My Watch:

Moto 360 1st Generation

1 minute ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

What about getting 2 really silent & powerful fans and making them run a really low speeds?

To put on the heat sinK? 

4 minutes ago, BiscuitMassacre said:

3 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

To put on the heat sinK? 

That makes sense as well, just make sure they're two of the same fans and hook them up to a splitter or make sure they're both set to the same speeds to avoid any weird turbulence.

On 18.4.2016 at 5:14 PM, GeorgeKellow said:

I'm trying to make my build the quietest that I can. so removing my fan of my 212 (Corsair af120) will eliminate the loudest part of my pc. Will it get super hot? My cpu (i5 4670k) is overclocked to 4.2ghz on 1.1 v 

Despite 1.1 v is low, it is way to much for a 212 without a fan. Even a Zalman FX-70 with good care air flow migth be on the edge. It will work fine for gaming but on Prime 95 it will hit >90°C.

What about a Dark Rock 3 Pro with only one fan in the middle?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil