Stupid 2nd HDMI monitor problem.

SeagullChips

Hi, so since I built my PC a couple of months ago, i have been using a HDMI TV as a monitor, and now I have got a proper Acer monitor, works fine, but when i plugged my TV back in to my PC (as a second monitor) the quality is horrible, and Catalyst Control Centre, refuses to install for me...

And I know HDMI isn't the best when it comes to PC, but would having a DVI to HDMI fix anything? 

I doubt it, I am just using my TV as a screen to monitor temperature and Twitter :D when I'm, gaming.

Extra info: The problem fixes when I change the "Refresh rate" of my TV, in Windows, to 24Hz... but it changes it for my 1st monitor as well, I'm not gaming at 24 Hz :D

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, this is more of an irritation more than an issue.

:D

First PC Build (Current System) | CPU: AMD FX6300 | GPU: ASUS 7850 D CUii | Mobo: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 | PSU: XFX PRO 850W | RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | HDD: WD Green | Case: Xigmatek Asgard V1 (soon to be 750D =D)

Silly question but have you went into screen resolution and changed multiple displays to extend these displays?

And also set your TV to the correct resolution?

Also HDMI is fine, nothing wrong with it.

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Silly question but have you went into screen resolution and changed multiple displays to extend these displays?

And also set your TV to the correct resolution?

Also HDMI is fine, nothing wrong with it.

Yep, I have done all that, and it extended the desktop across both screens, just there is a black border around it (overscan) and is really fuzzy and hard to read.

P.S: i have also tried ALL the different setting on the TV, but none make much difference.

First PC Build (Current System) | CPU: AMD FX6300 | GPU: ASUS 7850 D CUii | Mobo: ASUS M5A97 EVO R2.0 | PSU: XFX PRO 850W | RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | HDD: WD Green | Case: Xigmatek Asgard V1 (soon to be 750D =D)

Tried using a different HDMI cable? Maybe a different HDMI port on your TV?

Tried using a different HDMI cable? Maybe a different HDMI port on your TV?

I don't think that is the problem here, HDMI is digital, so the quality of the cable doesn't have that sort of effect on the picture, and my TV only has one port :D and works with my PS3 just fine.

Are your drivers up to date...you say control center won't install or something?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Are your drivers up to date...you say control center won't install or something?

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

As far as I know, they are, but why did it do this when I added the second monitor? 

It was working fine before...

As far as I know, they are, but why did it do this when I added the second monitor? 

It was working fine before...

Only thing I can think of is your drivers not liking multiple monitors.

It happens on certain beta drivers.

Only thing I can think of is your drivers not liking multiple monitors.

It happens on certain beta drivers.

Hmm, ok, i will search around to see if people are having similar problems I have, with these drivers, thx.

Did you some how lock the tv to film or movie mode as that would restrict it to 23.976 Hz (generally refered to as 24 Hz but when selecting in a pc selec 23 Hz because 24 is actually 24.)

Did you some how lock the tv to film or movie mode as that would restrict it to 23.976 Hz (generally refered to as 24 Hz but when selecting in a pc selec 23 Hz because 24 is actually 24.)

Umm, no, setting the Hz to 24 in Windows actually fixed it, sort of. I have also set the setting to "Factory Default" so, it isn't in any modes...

Umm, no, setting the Hz to 24 in Windows actually fixed it, sort of. I have also set the setting to "Factory Default" so, it isn't in any modes...

ok was just checking. I would update your drivers then plug in the TV and set it up how you want then plug in the monitor and see if everything is good.

ok was just checking. I would update your drivers then plug in the TV and set it up how you want then plug in the monitor and see if everything is good.

Well, I am positive i have identified the issue, the Hz, When i set it to 24 Hz it goes back to normal, but it sets it 24Hz for both monitors, is there any way to set different Hz for the different monitors?...

Well, I am positive i have identified the issue, the Hz, When i set it to 24 Hz it goes back to normal, but it sets it 24Hz for both monitors, is there any way to set different Hz for the different monitors?...

You probably have to extend your desktop. Clone mode won't work.

What TV do you have?

You probably have to extend your desktop. Clone mode won't work.

What TV do you have?

I have already said, I extended the display before in the forum /\  and the TV is some cheap small name brand called ALBA.

Model: LCD22880HDF

I don't think they have a website. They are a sister company (I think) of BUSH...

Yes I do it regularly. What restricted the Hz to 24 the monitor or the TV?

I have already said, I extended the display before in the forum /\  and the TV is some cheap small name brand called ALBA.

Model: LCD22880HDF

I don't think they have a website. They are a sister company (I think) of BUSH...

Maybe you should fix your Catalyst driver problem first...because, i don't know, your videocard needs proper drivers to work at it's full potential.

Please use DVI>HDMI.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

Yes I do it regularly. What restricted the Hz to 24 the monitor or the TV?

It's got to be the TV, because when i set it to 60hz my monitor is displaying 60hz perfectly well, but i don't think my TV can handle 60hz... it's strange.

Maybe you should fix your Catalyst driver problem first...because, i don't know, your videocard needs proper drivers to work at it's full potential.

I tried, i have even uninstalled all the drivers, and reinstalled them, yet Catalyst Control Centre refuses to show up, The installer says it is installed, but there is no evidence of it being installed, anywhere... 

Please use DVI>HDMI.

I could try it, would that really be the problem though?

My friend was in the same situation and I advised him to get that DVI>HDMI cable, since that being done everything is good.

Cosmic Council Department of Defense ; Interplanetary Class 3 Relations & Diplomatic Affairs - OFFICE 117

You TV may very well only be able to do 24hz. Is that all that shows up for the refresh rates in windows?

As for the the control panel being missing try right clicking the desktop if it doesnt show up there something is wrong and you may have to do a reinstall of windows.

As for a DVI to HDMI adapter fixing the issue that shouldnt do jack squat especially if you have a proper HDMI port.

A few other things would be see if there is a setting in the TV that restricts it to 24hz/Film/Movie Mode or see if a setting in the control center is ticked with that option.

Also do you have integrated and dedicated graphics if so please check to make sure both are plugged directly into the dedicated card. I know this is something simple but hey you never know.

You TV may very well only be able to do 24hz. Is that all that shows up for the refresh rates in windows?

As for the the control panel being missing try right clicking the desktop if it doesnt show up there something is wrong and you may have to do a reinstall of windows.

As for a DVI to HDMI adapter fixing the issue that shouldnt do jack squat especially if you have a proper HDMI port.

A few other things would be see if there is a setting in the TV that restricts it to 24hz/Film/Movie Mode or see if a setting in the control center is ticked with that option.

Also do you have integrated and dedicated graphics if so please check to make sure both are plugged directly into the dedicated card. I know this is something simple but hey you never know.

It's not Control panel... It's AMD Catalyst Controll Centre...

My Mobo doesn't have onboard graphics, all done by the GPU.

There are options to change the Hz, for the TV, from 24 - 60 hz, but 24Hz is the only setting where it doesn't cause the problems.

Hi guys, thanks for all your help, I think IO have solved the problem...

In the Control Panel, where you can change the resolution, I was clicking "Advanced Setting" to change the Hz, but this time, I clicked the monitor and changed the Hz for the TV... and it didn't change the Hz for the monitor...

So all I can think of, is in "advanced settings" it changes it for both... what ever, the problem is solved now, thanks for all your guys help D: