i7 6700k or i5 6600k?

I'm building my first computer this summer, and so far I have an i7 6700k and a 390x. Should I go for an i5 6600k and a 980 ti instead for my GPU power? I've been kicking around the i5 with 980 ti option possibility for a bit but I'm not sure. Everyone's opinions would be much appreciated!

If the computer is mostly for gaming, go ahead and do the i5 and 980ti. As it is, your parts certainly aren't lacking any horsepower (except maybe at 4k)

Don't be fooled by the bottom line of my sig, that is just for my travels.

So you're telling me that Gaben is no God? Enough of your foolishness.

My hardware you ask? I'm using a Dell Inspiron 3217 Notebook... With an LG 25UM57.

if you're not doing anything than gaming, the i5 will do fine

but i recommend you wait till the new gpu release around mid of june before you pull the trigger for the gpu

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

21 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if you're not doing anything than gaming, the i5 will do fine

but i recommend you wait till the new gpu release around mid of june before you pull the trigger for the gpu

But I'm impatient.... Haha I feel you. That may be when I buy the parts actually when I get all of the money.

1 minute ago, funman572 said:

But I'm impatient.... Haha I feel you. That may be when I buy the parts actually when I get all of the money.

you can invest in the case, psu and stuff that isnt going to change

get then if you see them on sale ;)

leave the cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu out first lol

If I were you I would do the i5 + 980Ti but I would also think about waiting until the new GPU release to decide since you might wanna get one of those or buy a cheaper 980Ti since prices will drop...probably.... 

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700k @4.3ghz, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2400mhz, GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 , Case: Corsair 300R, Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD, WD 1TB Black HDD, WD 2TB HDD PSU: Evga SuperNova 750 G2, Display: ASUS VG248QE @144hz, Cooling: Cooler Master V8 GTS, Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum, Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed, Sound: Phillips SHP9500 + VModa Boom Pro, Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
  •  

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

you can invest in the case, psu and stuff that isnt going to change

get then if you see them on sale ;)

leave the cpu, motherboard, ram and gpu out first lol

When are the release dates exactly for the new cards?

1 minute ago, funman572 said:

When are the release dates exactly for the new cards?

gonna need a crystal ball to know the exact dates `-`

but its rumoured early to mid of june :P

I have recently bought both a 6700k and a 6600k. You will be happy with the performance from either.

But if you have the money and were thinking of getting a 6700k and a 390X, I would get a 6600k and look at TWO 390s. It's about the same in price, and the performance is FAR better. My 2x R390s kick serious ass. I am extremely happy with the performance at 5760x1080p (triple 27" monitors)

The 390 is a great card.  The 390x just doesn't give enough of a performance boost over the 390 to justify the price premium, imo.