Partioning questions

Jerombolo

I have a 850 Pro. With the Samsung Magician I wanted to do an over provisioning partion thingy, now I can't do that but there's a partition with the suggested 10% of storrage (23.85GB) which I don't know what I'm supposed to do with. Then I have 2 partitions for systemrecovery, can I delete these?

Can you please be more specific on what you are attempting to do? When you delete something, it is not really deleted. The OS marks it as "free space".

Example: You delete a 2GB video and then you get 2GB space extra. The video will still be on the computer until something overwrites it. 

Sorry if I do not understand what you are saying. You are not very specific on what you are trying to do. 

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

Can you please be more specific on what you are attempting to do? When you delete something, it is not really deleted. The OS marks it as "free space".

Example: You delete a 2GB video and then you get 2GB space extra. The video will still be on the computer until something overwrites it. 

Sorry if I do not understand what you are saying. You are not very specific on what you are trying to do. 

I'd like to delete those 3 partitions. But somehow I can't.

"overprovisioning" isn't done through partitioning, but is rather done by using a tool like hdparm, and editing the drive's reported capacity.  You then partition the drive to its fullest.  There's little reason to do it on a modern SSD, especially the Samsungs that will practically last a lifetime with their high-endurance 3D NAND. 

The general form hdparm to derate a drive is:

hdparm -N p# /dev/sdX

6 minutes ago, Jerombolo said:

I'd like to delete those 3 partitions. But somehow I can't.

I see.. I am not sure on how to do this. But if you are using Windows, I recommend contacting their support if you do not get answers from here. 

1 minute ago, Mark77 said:

"overprovisioning" isn't done through partitioning, but is rather done by using a tool like hdparm, and editing the drive's reported capacity.  You then partition the drive to its fullest.  There's little reason to do it on a modern SSD, especially the Samsungs that will practically last a lifetime with their high-endurance 3D NAND. 

The general form hdparm to derate a drive is:

hdparm -N p# /dev/sdX

I don't know. But you can press on Over Provisioning in the Samsung Magician program. It created a partition which the suggested volume but then it just says "not  allocated" on that partition which is on my SSD.

1 minute ago, Telebubbies said:

I see.. I am not sure on how to do this. But if you are using Windows, I recommend contacting their support if you do not get answers from here. 

I'll wait a bit^^ Now reading over what I wrote, I must say I should go to sleep soon^^

4 minutes ago, Jerombolo said:

I don't know. But you can press on Over Provisioning in the Samsung Magician program. It created a partition which the suggested volume but then it just says "not  allocated" on that partition which is on my SSD.

Ah sounds pointless on a modern TRIM-capable OS. 

Just now, Mark77 said:

Ah sounds pointless on a modern TRIM-capable OS. 

But I can't delete that partition.

Assuming you don't care about the system recovery data on the partitions just use computer management>storage>disk management or a 3rd party program like minitools partition wizard free to delete the 3 parts into unallocated/raw space them extent the main part into the remaining data. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

4 minutes ago, RedWulf said:

Assuming you don't care about the system recovery data on the partitions just use computer management>storage>disk management or a 3rd party program like minitools partition wizard free to delete the 3 parts into unallocated/raw space them extent the main part into the remaining data. 

So I can't delete them without any other program?

1 minute ago, Jerombolo said:

So I can't delete them without any other program?

Should be able to* Most of the time you can get by with using windows storage management, I'd try it first. If it fails, I swear by minitools part wizard.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

13 hours ago, RedWulf said:

Should be able to* Most of the time you can get by with using windows storage management, I'd try it first. If it fails, I swear by minitools part wizard.

I used it and it worked :D Thanks. Now I still have 2 partitions for systemrecovery, should I delete one of those or what am I supposed to do? One has 450MB and the other 800MB. And there is the systemreserved partition which is at 100MB, I can leave that like this, can't I?