YouTube song permission

Go to solution Solved by Naeaes,
1 hour ago, Redjo said:

Hello guys how does the permission thing work on YouTube? 

• I want to use two songs for my future build video aka ''Project Redline'', but don't know how to ask for permission if i can use the songs. Can you please help me or give me advice? 

• Like i kinda dont want to get copyright or something like that, if you know what i mean. 

Since you're planning on publishing the content as opposed to just listening to it on your own, you're right about needing the permission. Also since this isn't satire about the content, a study, news article or similar on it, it's not what's called 'fair use' either. 

Contact the copyright owner and ask for a permission to use the content. Send an email to get it in writing. It has to be the copyright owner, not just any publisher.

They can have contact info available on youtube but you're probably going to have to source info from their website or repositories such as this one. The case may well be that the copyright owner is actually a production company instead of the artist and there can be separate publishing companies that publish only and have no claim to copyright and so on and so forth.

Don't ask for 'copyright'. That'd allow you to sell the content as your own. To make it easier for them to give the go-ahead, be as specific as you can of whether you're planning on modifying the content, use all of it or a part of it, use it multiple times.

You can always do the "Can I use your music in my videos?" -thing, but it's a huge risk for them to allow such broad terms.

Even after getting the permission they can always just mess up and take down the content. Youtube has no choice but to comply. By providing the permission in writing, you can make your case to Youtube and have the issue solved eventually but given how much time and effort all this takes, your best bet is to either have someone make new music for you to use or use copyright free music. There's tons and tons of good music that's published directly to the public domain

• I want to use two songs for my future build video aka ''Project Redline'', but don't know how to ask for permission if i can use the songs. Can you please help me or give me advice? 

• Like i kinda dont want to get copyright or something like that, if you know what i mean. 

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

Depends on the publisher. Some allow free usage for YouTube, some require you to pay a fee.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

1 hour ago, Redjo said:

Since you're planning on publishing the content as opposed to just listening to it on your own, you're right about needing the permission. Also since this isn't satire about the content, a study, news article or similar on it, it's not what's called 'fair use' either. 

Contact the copyright owner and ask for a permission to use the content. Send an email to get it in writing. It has to be the copyright owner, not just any publisher.

They can have contact info available on youtube but you're probably going to have to source info from their website or repositories such as this one. The case may well be that the copyright owner is actually a production company instead of the artist and there can be separate publishing companies that publish only and have no claim to copyright and so on and so forth.

Don't ask for 'copyright'. That'd allow you to sell the content as your own. To make it easier for them to give the go-ahead, be as specific as you can of whether you're planning on modifying the content, use all of it or a part of it, use it multiple times.

You can always do the "Can I use your music in my videos?" -thing, but it's a huge risk for them to allow such broad terms.

Even after getting the permission they can always just mess up and take down the content. Youtube has no choice but to comply. By providing the permission in writing, you can make your case to Youtube and have the issue solved eventually but given how much time and effort all this takes, your best bet is to either have someone make new music for you to use or use copyright free music. There's tons and tons of good music that's published directly to the public domain

42 minutes ago, Naeaes said:

-snip-

•First of all thank you for writing all this, i really appreciate the effort you put on it.                    

•I wanted to use Janji  – Heroes Tonight and Danny McCarthy - Silver Scrapes.

Project Redline: 

♦CPU: i7-5820k  ♦CPU Cooler: Kraken x61 ♦Mobo: MSI X99A SLI ♦RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4x4GB 3200mhz ♦GPU: Evga 980Ti Hybrid ♦Case: NZXT H440 ♦SSD: Samsung 850EVO 500GB ♦HDD: WD BLUE 1TB 7200rpm ♦Display: 1280 x 1024

14 minutes ago, Redjo said:

•First of all thank you for writing all this, i really appreciate the effort you put on it.              •I wanted to use Janji  – Heroes Tonight and Danny McCarthy - Silver Scrapes.

According to the description in this, you can use the first one so long as you comply with the terms they set. Basically just credit them and the artist. Looks like a legit service to me, not just a youtube hoax. That's not public forum per se, so tread lightly but at least you can get on it right away instead of having to wait for a reply. 

No such luck with the latter as far as I can tell.